littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51

Thread: 180 day visa clarification

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    30
    Thanked: 0

    180 day visa clarification

    A friend received a 1 year multiple entry visa August 07. Upon arrival in Aug, he registered with OVIR and they gave him a one year registration. Two weeks ago he went on a trip and prior to departure, he turned in his registration.

    Yesterday when he came back, he went back to OVIR to get his new registration. They gave him a new registration noting that as of yesterdays date, he now had 180 days remaining in Russia - much less time that he was planning to stay according to his plans last August.

    1. Is this consistent with what others are experiencing?

    2. From a technical standpoint, if he leaves Russia 179 days from now, can he return when his visa expires in Aug 08 (with a new visa), or will he be required to wait 180 days after has left Russia this spring meaning that he would not be able to return to Russia until approx 20 Oct 2008?

    3. Does OVIR require turning in your registration, even if leaving Russai just for one day?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    87
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by XRM View Post
    A friend received a 1 year multiple entry visa August 07. Upon arrival in Aug, he registered with OVIR and they gave him a one year registration.
    It was OVIR mistake.

    They gave him a new registration noting that as of yesterdays date, he now had 180 days remaining in Russia - much less time that he was planning to stay according to his plans last August.
    Best way - to take a train to Ukraine and come back same day.

    1. Is this consistent with what others are experiencing?
    Yes, it was a law: noone can stay more then 180 days (exluding some special visa). Now the law is more strict.

    2. From a technical standpoint, if he leaves Russia 179 days from now, can he return when his visa expires in Aug 08
    He can return same day.
    3. Does OVIR require turning in your registration, even if leaving Russai just for one day?
    YES!

    P.S. What kind of visa your friend has? 1 year + 365 days stay? Business?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanked: 0
    One year is a major mistake as even before the new law, registration was made for never more than SIX MONTHS.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    38
    Thanked: 0

    :)

    One year registration is a major screw up now all you can get, by law, is 3 months.

    It is true that you can stay 180 days, with a 1yr ME business visa, in the territory of Russia but not continuosly.

    You have to exit the country after, a maximum, 90 days then you have to stay out of Russia 90 more days and then you can come back for another 90 days to complete your 180 days per year.
    The new visas have all this written on the bottom part of the visa sticker that they put in your passport, I just did this the 18th of October.

    As per the registration the law says that every time you leave Russia you have to turn your registration in and make a new one when you came back, also because if you keep the old registration the data, date stamp & MC number, will not match your new migration card.

    Now looking at the registration from a different point of view it is impossible at this moment that the Fms office, the border patrol and the police that stop you in the street are on the same page therefore the only thing that can make the street police find out the the registration is old is the difference between the date stamp on the new migration card and the date stamp on the old registration......It is a long shot but I reccomend to do it every time you came back...less problems.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Voronezh
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 0
    Why is it that things differ from case to case

    On 13th September I was issued my 1 year multi entry visa at the Russian Embassy in Riga. I live in Voronezh (for the last 5 years) and am a UK citizen.

    There is NO additional information printed at the bottom of the visa, nothing about 90 days at all. When I returned to Voronezh the OVIR gave me the usual 6 month registration. I visited England a few weeks ago and returned to Voronezh on 1st November...when I went to get the new registration they only gave me until 27th Jan 2008 stating that the new law applies to me.... and I cant return before 27th May.

    So it seems that whether your visa was issued before the date of the new law or not, as mine was, it applies to everyone regardless of if your visa states this rule on it or not !!

    I have a Russian wife and daughter that I will have to abandon for 3 months in the New Year !!!! There is no time to get temporary residence status because that takes 6-9 months from what I read on this forum. They really do hate us it seems to me !!

    Steve

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    CCCP
    Posts
    86
    Thanked: 0

    yep big problem

    Sorry for your problem, I have the same. "They" don't hate us, the government hates us for many reasons. Firstly because it is our technology, expertise, and knowledge in the oil/gas banking manufacturing sectors.

    Secondly because every time the government destroys the lives of the people, some one else has to step in and help; THUS THE INFERIORITY COMPLEX. They can't/won't/refuse/ to take any responsibility.
    This is a result of 70 years of communism.

    Thirdly and most importantly is CONTROL. any other viewpoint is ( from their point) is aggressive and provocative in nature( an attack from the west )

    THe average person here has told me that this new visa policy is madness that will damage the country greatly. I agree. In a country with a huge labor shortage and declining population, anything as stupid as this only proves that decisions made are not exactly prudent for society and are only to maintain control




    Do the math 410 billion in the reserve. 144 miliion russians.. find out how much
    the gov. could help the people 284million for every russian. GREED IS SOMETHING IS"NT IT

  7. #7
    Judge's Avatar
    Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    19,619
    Thanked: 3600
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
    Why is it that things differ from case to case

    On 13th September I was issued my 1 year multi entry visa at the Russian Embassy in Riga. I live in Voronezh (for the last 5 years) and am a UK citizen.

    There is NO additional information printed at the bottom of the visa, nothing about 90 days at all. When I returned to Voronezh the OVIR gave me the usual 6 month registration. I visited England a few weeks ago and returned to Voronezh on 1st November...when I went to get the new registration they only gave me until 27th Jan 2008 stating that the new law applies to me.... and I cant return before 27th May.

    So it seems that whether your visa was issued before the date of the new law or not, as mine was, it applies to everyone regardless of if your visa states this rule on it or not !!

    I have a Russian wife and daughter that I will have to abandon for 3 months in the New Year !!!! There is no time to get temporary residence status because that takes 6-9 months from what I read on this forum. They really do hate us it seems to me !!

    Steve
    They don't care if there is no additional information on the visa... a new law came into effect in oct that will hit all biz visas...
    I'm in the same boat... i'm in my first month away from my wife... just 2 more to go..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 0
    I left Russia a few months ago after two years of work in Moscow. This is the first time that I hear about the fact that one has to actually stay out of the country for 90-day periods - that's absolutely crazy. So what do firms do when they want to keep a foreign worker in their Moscow office for a year or two?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    msk
    Posts
    4,567
    Thanked: 0
    have a work visa?
    ◀► ◢◤

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    32
    Thanked: 0
    Do you mean the 90-day rule applies only to those with a business or tourist visa?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Yes

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    2,085
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ales View Post
    So what do firms do when they want to keep a foreign worker in their Moscow office for a year or two?

    They get a work permit for the foreign worker, as a ME visa never allowed to work, and the new law concerns only ME visa.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    47
    Thanked: 0
    Edited to go and double check facts
    Last edited by Pyotr; 16-11-2007 at 16:37. Reason: Mistake

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    47
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Guest View Post
    They get a work permit for the foreign worker, as a ME visa never allowed to work, and the new law concerns only ME visa.
    Would you happen to know how much a work permit costs the employer? I've heard it is thousands of dollars, but can't see how that would work out for lower-paying jobs.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    disappeared
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyotr View Post
    Would you happen to know how much a work permit costs the employer? I've heard it is thousands of dollars, but can't see how that would work out for lower-paying jobs.
    Well it seems to work for EFL teachers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •