littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gluten free cereal

gluten free cereal

I saw yesterday in Azbuka a new gluten free cereal. It is called Roses and they have two varieties of Muslei - strawberry and cranberry nut. It was at the bottom of the shelf so kind of hard to see.
    I usually get Rude Health puffed oats from Globus Gormet, they also carry puffed rice - both gluten free.

nice post, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    I saw yesterday in Azbuka a new gluten free cereal. It is called Roses and they have two varieties of Muslei - strawberry and cranberry nut. It was at the bottom of the shelf so kind of hard to see.
    I usually get Rude Health puffed oats from Globus Gormet, they also carry puffed rice - both gluten free.

gluten free is still a hit and miss in Moscow, any sightings therefore are appreciated. even if the shops do not have it all the time and in a great variety.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

gluten free is still a hit and miss in Moscow, any sightings therefore are appreciated. even if the shops do not have it all the time and in a great variety.
    Somehow yes, but rice (in grain and sometimes noodles) is in every supermarket. Buckwheat (grechka) and millet (psheno) also. They're just not marked as GF.

In addition to Peri's post - in Azbuka vkusa there are also pasta (0.5 kg pack) made of corn flour, and a kind of crackers/"cakes"/bisquits - pressed "popcorn" disks (non-sweet) - both are from Fiorentini TM, Italy. Pasta is ~ 230 rub, crackers ~ 130 rub.
    Also Azbuka and some supermarkets have pure corn flour and polenta (also corn flour but milled as more coarse).

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Somehow yes, but rice (in grain and sometimes noodles) is in every supermarket. Buckwheat (grechka) and millet (psheno) also. They're just not marked as GF.
    Perhaps the same milling machines are used to grind all grains, and so the flour products cannot (in truth) be labelled [Gluten Free]

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

No one of then are flours, just grains. But yes, I think these machines are used for everything

Quote Originally Posted by robertmf View Post
    Perhaps the same milling machines are used to grind all grains, and so the flour products cannot (in truth) be labelled [Gluten Free]

It will say 'may contain traces of gluten' if made in a factory with contaminated machines.

Stokmann's have corn and rice breakfast cereals that i think are gluten free.
    Last edited by martpark; 04-09-2012 at 18:06.

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    It will say 'may contain traces of gluten' if made in a factory with contaminated machines.

Stockmann's have corn and rice breakfast cereals that i think are gluten free.
    Your "i think" is critical to gluten intolerant people

Remember you are in Russia the 'may contain traces of gluten' label is proletarian dialectic theory

As a side note, I do not have a gluten intolerance - but I do avoid any and all Chinese food products, most esp. with a gluten ingredient.

in the basement of smolenskaya passage is a super market which has a selection of gluten free stuff an stuff

I am a gluten intolerant person and we know that reading ALL labels is essential but thanks for your advice nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by robertmf View Post
    Your "i think" is critical to gluten intolerant people

Remember you are in Russia the 'may contain traces of gluten' label is proletarian dialectic theory

As a side note, I do not have a gluten intolerance - but I do avoid any and all Chinese food products, most esp. with a gluten ingredient.

If I buy buckwheat or rice I tend to wash it well before use, good to do anyway but it also helps as most factories use the same machines for various products.

If it is cereal and foreign made such as from the US or UK it tends to say gluten free if it is.

There are a lot of Italian gluten free products in Moscow and while we are on the subject of Azbuka they also have gluten free Italian and Spanish bacon and other processed meats. If it is gluten free it will say senza glutine on the Italian ones.
    In the nut section there is a selection of Nuts from a UK company whose name escapes me but they are flavored and very nice. Not in all shops but they are present at the one in Sokolniki.
    Also Tyrells a British maker of chips and popcorn has gluten free variities in Azbuka. Check the back as not all are gluten free but it will say gluten free if it is.

I think I mentioned on another thread before that Stockmanns carries some Finnish gluten free sausages.

Tsvetnoi central market carries Stokes Real brown sauce that is labeled gluten free and is very nice.

Anyway, to all my gluten free peeps, if you find something new post it please

If anyone has found gluten free taco shells, I would love to know. I am hesitant about the Santa Maria I see about.

Brandy and wines supposed to be GF (but not beer)

Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    There are a lot of Italian gluten free products in Moscow and while we are on the subject of Azbuka they also have gluten free Italian and Spanish bacon and other processed meats. If it is gluten free it will say senza glutine on the Italian ones.
    Small sausages from Italy with GF mark you may encounter in Perekrestok too (2-3 types).

And my local Shtayer shop near m. Chertanovskaya time to time has sausages (barbecue/grill mix and Bavarians) produced in Austria, also GF labelled.

Regarding buckwheat I not only wash it before cooking, but spill out boiling water and fill with new just from the kettle in the process, 2-3 times.

If you use millet, it's better to wash it several times till the kind of slight foam disappears in the evening, and leave in water for the night, then wash once again in the morning and boil.

If there is a "lactose free" thread please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    Brandy and wines supposed to be GF (but not beer)
    Growing up, I never even heard of gluten intolerance, nor lactose intolerant ... only in ..umm.. maybe the last half decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Leda View Post
    If there is a "lactose free" thread please advise.

lactose and gluten free come up on expat.ru every so often. [Search] is your friend

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast