littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a question about Russian men

a question about Russian men

This is something I've been pondering for a couple of last days, maybe you'll help me solve this mystery.

Sorry but it's about dancing again (maybe not only though). I've been dancing on different levels and in different situations, but when I came to a salsa dancing class on Sunday, it struck me as extremely odd what extreme air of arrogance the Russian men practised their steps in a couple with. Refers to those of them who were of intermediate level dancing with beginners (was a mixed class). Is dancing with a lady not just fun and enjoyment, is it yet another opportunity to prove something? Why, why, why?

If you ain't happy with 50% of the Russian population then why not leave the country?

Or become a lesbian!
    Last edited by RichardB; 12-09-2012 at 11:11.

Obvious national peculiarities aside, I would say, people are very different, some do behave, others do not, for whatever reason, be it arrogance, insecurities, shyness or something else. Men, as known, can be quite insecure and because of the upbringing it can show as rudeness, simply because they were taught to be macho, boys don't cry, etc, etc. But, generalizing, whether it comes to men or women, is utterly unwise, indeed.
    "Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly."

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    If you ain't happy with 50% of the Russian population then why not leave the country?

Or become a lesbian!
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that I managed to meet 50% of the Russian population just in one dance class

Lesbian-schmesbian, why is it always lesbian should you criticise somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    I would say 99%. But 1% left is worth staying

GalinaP, frankly speaking you meet very strange people and according to your posts it happens on a regular basis. are you sure you don't demonstrate some kind of victim behavior to attract all those specimens?
    Скушно жить, мой Евгений. Куда ни странствуй,
    всюду жестокость и тупость воскликнут: "Здравствуй!
    Вот и мы!"

No, I don't think so, far from a victim, it's just odd behaviour is much more worth discussing, reflecting on and making conclusions than, say, gossiping about good people, who I also happen to know in big numbers. (see: good words about good people thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Potty View Post
    I would say 99%. But 1% left is worth staying
    that happens all accross the world in all the countries!

Quote Originally Posted by ddixon85 View Post
    that happens all accross the world in all the countries!
    I agree)

Quote Originally Posted by GalinaP View Post
    This is something I've been pondering for a couple of last days, maybe you'll help me solve this mystery.

Sorry but it's about dancing again (maybe not only though). I've been dancing on different levels and in different situations, but when I came to a salsa dancing class on Sunday, it struck me as extremely odd what extreme air of arrogance the Russian men practised their steps in a couple with. Refers to those of them who were of intermediate level dancing with beginners (was a mixed class). Is dancing with a lady not just fun and enjoyment, is it yet another opportunity to prove something? Why, why, why?
    many women as well as many men can use any skill they possess to prove themselves!

Personally, with my dancing skills ( or lack of) I would definitely be far from arrogant on the dance floor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ibanez View Post
    Personally, with my dancing skills ( or lack of) I would definitely be far from arrogant on the dance floor...
    The only situation justifying arrogance is when you are being taken advantage of. At least how I feel.

I hate how Russians dance. You can always notice they are counting their steps, they can't screw up or actually, you know, relax and enjoy it. And if they're not good at it, they prefer to just sit down all bored instead. It's weird for me. I tried salsa dancing in Moscow given that's the dance of my country but I just got fed up with dancing with people who didn't want to have fun, who instead just wanted to impress others.

I think it's merely a reflection of the culture. Everything Russians do is to prove something, I've never seen another culture in which individuals care so much about what everyone from random strangers to important folk think about them.

And yes, yes, I know, not every Russian is like that, don't generalize, the whole deal, but I can't think of a single time I went salsa dancing in which the people did anything differently than what I described above. And I spent an excessive amount of time in Moscow in various places just to salsa dance.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFirefly View Post
    I hate how Russians dance. You can always notice they are counting their steps, they can't screw up or actually, you know, relax and enjoy it. And if they're not good at it, they prefer to just sit down all bored instead. It's weird for me. I tried salsa dancing in Moscow given that's the dance of my country but I just got fed up with dancing with people who didn't want to have fun, who instead just wanted to impress others.

I think it's merely a reflection of the culture. Everything Russians do is to prove something, I've never seen another culture in which individuals care so much about what everyone from random strangers to important folk think about them.

And yes, yes, I know, not every Russian is like that, don't generalize, the whole deal, but I can't think of a single time I went salsa dancing in which the people did anything differently than what I described above. And I spent an excessive amount of time in Moscow in various places just to salsa dance.
    Thanks, BF, for backing up my point, is really frustrating, isn't it? When supposed to be such great fun! I ended up wishing the teacher didn't put me in a couple and just let me be by myself to enjoy music and the rhythm instead of trying carefully to avoid somebody staring grimly at me!

Ego.
    If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast