littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the-wolf and rabbit- adult shows only?

the-wolf and rabbit- adult shows only?

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/a...ns/467315.html

it is of course right not to encourage kids to smoke. but sometimes all this political correctness seems to go a little bit to far. because of the new anti smoking law the wolf is supposed to be shown only after 11pm.or cut out all scenes that contain smoking.
    Not much will be left than of the clips.
    Will then other comics also be sanitized to satisfy a new law or the other? i mean poor Tom gets clobbered most of the time by mouse Jerry?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

This war is a hundred years old, and it involves denying truth about human life to children, while paradoxically allowing all kinds of truly bad things through the net. It is ultimately the spirit of Puritanism extended first through time, Puritan morality surviving long after the religion had died, as Prohibition demonstrated, then extended through space to these shores.

Any cartoon character that smokes should be banned , if we are to eradicate this smoking it has to be fought on every level and banning would be a good start.
    However I smile at the fact the anti smoking push goes for the children first and does not use the most obvious ploy used by other governments which is to increase the cost of cigarettes to an unaffoedable level over a period of time. Thereby reducing the number of smokers and raising tax revenue at the same time.
    Another great way would be to ban tobacco advertising, and enforece no smoking zones better.

My feeling is they are picking on the kids because they won't complain and protest ! much !

Quote Originally Posted by rusmeister View Post
    This war is a hundred years old, and it involves denying truth about human life to children, while paradoxically allowing all kinds of truly bad things through the net. It is ultimately the spirit of Puritanism extended first through time, Puritan morality surviving long after the religion had died, as Prohibition demonstrated, then extended through space to these shores.

Puritanism is really just hyprocritical rubbish and its done just to control people and stuff. Rus is totally right. Also, puritan countries enforce religion by the stick and gangs and militias cos it's not in people's hearts. Once that control system goes, the so called Puritans become the worst offenders cos they know no restraints. Lastly, if its sufis, icons, statues, or sacred dance- Puritans trash that so destroy any joy in religion and chase god from every day life- which is why they always fail in the end. Puritans are on a road to spriritual oblivion. I HATE them 100%. Look what they done just two days back- behead 17 people in a village cos they was dancing. So if it's Taliban or these Protestants from history, they sort of got the same idea and I don't like either in any way. If it's smashing icons or sufi shrines..... it's the same to me.

This war is a hundred years old, and it involves denying truth about human life to children
    I agree with you here Rus- in fact well over a hundred years ago the Victorians did this a lot- with their bowlderized versions of Shakespeare, the Arabian Nights, Grimm's Fairy Tales for children. (And for adults as well of course- full uncensored translations of Zola couldn't be published for decades.) It's a difficult question- I agree there are things in the Arabian Nights, the Canterbury Tales, Shakespeare say, that aren't really suitable for children. But there are lots of great stories there too, that are especially appealing to children. I can see the point in adapting these books for children, and in doing so cutting out the sexual content, because they were clearly originally written for an adult audience.

But it is stupid to censor books and films that were considered acceptable for children in the past because it is now considered that children should not be exposed to certain types of images. Especially where those images reflect reality. If we removed from "Nu Pogodi" all the scenes of smoking, cruelty to animals, dangerous cycling and driving, theft, irresponsible use of construction equipment and reckless overexposure to sunlight, there wouldn't be much left.

On a related note I feel quite strongly that books or films from the past should not be rewritten to make them more acceptable to modern sensitivities. As Richard Dawkins-who I suspect is not one of your favourite writers :-) - wrote: "It is a mark of historical infantilism to view the writings of one century through the politically tinted glasses of another...It can be argued that reading historical documents that violate the taboos of one's own century gives valuable lessons in the ephemerality of such mores."

Actually, the authors of "Nu, pogodi!" (the Wolf and Rabbit) say the cartoon was intially intended for adults. Truely, it contains so much humor and parodies that are lost on toddlers... The kids however liked the cartoon and it became "for wide audience".
    Бешеной собачке семь верст - не крюк!

Anyway, we can now relax. The smoking scenes from Nu, Pogodi etc. are not going to be removed, it seems:

В ходе показа мультфильмов Ну, погоди! и Крокодил Гена никаких сцен или фрагментов вырезано не будет, заявил в четверг президент Трансконтинентальной медиакомпании Александр Митрошенков на презентации нового сезона передачи Спокойной ночи, малыши!, которой исполняется 50 лет.

http://vz.ru/news/2012/8/30/595817.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    Anyway, we can now relax. The smoking scenes from Nu, Pogodi etc. are not going to be removed, it seems:

В ходе показа мультфильмов Ну, погоди! и Крокодил Гена никаких сцен или фрагментов вырезано не будет, заявил в четверг президент Трансконтинентальной медиакомпании Александр Митрошенков на презентации нового сезона передачи Спокойной ночи, малыши!, которой исполняется 50 лет.

http://vz.ru/news/2012/8/30/595817.html
    Somebody smokes in "Krocodil Gena" ?! Don't remember.. which only proves that no harm was caused by the smoking cartoon caracter to my innocent brain

Quote Originally Posted by Inola View Post
    Somebody smokes in "Krocodil Gena" ?! Don't remember.. which only proves that no harm was caused by the smoking cartoon caracter to my innocent brain

I'm not sure who smkoes- I don't know those cartoons so well. But I do know that getting too friendly with crocodiles is dangerous. Far more dangerous than smoking. I think it would be better to remove the crocodile scenes, not the smoking scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    I'm not sure who smkoes- I don't know those cartoons so well. But I do know that getting too friendly with crocodiles is dangerous.
    ... and with genetically modified Cheburashkas!

why then not start with Brothers Grimm as well?

their fairy takes are the worst of the worst if you want to see it that way.

evil mother in law or step mother.
    wolf eats little girl
    witch fattening up little kids before eating them

mustn't that be a traumatic experience for kids? wonder how millions of children survived the story telling time intact?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

wolf eats little girl

mustn't that be a traumatic experience for kids? wonder how millions of children survived the story telling time intact?
    I don't think these are bad or traumatic things as fairy tales give children a clear notion of "bad" and "evil" in comparison to the "good" as well as the notion of justice (bad caracters are always punished in the end).

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post

wolf eats little girl

It's not "traumatic" for kids. I think it is people who've never had kids who push that kind of thinking into children's materials. They think kids are stupid and can only handle Teletubbies (which is far more traumatic, to my mind).

Jonny Quest is the boys' boys show. Starblazers is another good one. Both of which suffered censorship in the US, JQ in its later follow-up series.

Quote Originally Posted by mds45 View Post
    Any cartoon character that smokes should be banned , if we are to eradicate this smoking it has to be fought on every level and banning would be a good start.
    However I smile at the fact the anti smoking push goes for the children first and does not use the most obvious ploy used by other governments which is to increase the cost of cigarettes to an unaffoedable level over a period of time. Thereby reducing the number of smokers and raising tax revenue at the same time.
    Another great way would be to ban tobacco advertising, and enforece no smoking zones better.

My feeling is they are picking on the kids because they won't complain and protest ! much !
    A point missed by those who support such forms of censorship is that the undesirable behaviors are done by the undesirable characters, the ones we are supposed to feel antipathy toward. The question is largely over whether the behavior is glorified or subtly condemned. In NP, it is the loser wolf who smokes, not the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Puritanism is really just hyprocritical rubbish and its done just to control people and stuff. Rus is totally right. Also, puritan countries enforce religion by the stick and gangs and militias cos it's not in people's hearts. Once that control system goes, the so called Puritans become the worst offenders cos they know no restraints. Lastly, if its sufis, icons, statues, or sacred dance- Puritans trash that so destroy any joy in religion and chase god from every day life- which is why they always fail in the end. Puritans are on a road to spriritual oblivion. I HATE them 100%. Look what they done just two days back- behead 17 people in a village cos they was dancing. So if it's Taliban or these Protestants from history, they sort of got the same idea and I don't like either in any way. If it's smashing icons or sufi shrines..... it's the same to me.
    It doesn't look like you mean exactly the same thing that I do by the word "Puritan", Jas. I am speaking about the 17th-century Protestants and their cultural heritage in the West. Some of the early ones did not even oppose drink. It developed later as the religion as such decayed before falling apart - but their Manichaean conception of morality (the body and physical enjoyment are bad, only spiritual enjoyment is good) lingered on long after they were gone.
    At any rate, I had never heard of Muslims being referred to as "Puritans", and didn't include them in what I meant, although the attitude toward alcohol and some other things such as iconoclasm is clearly the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast