study LAW in Moscow or Russia

I'm planing to study LAW in Moscow or Russia
    and i need advice ........!!!

i'm in moscow until 28 July
    and will come back in September

BEN
    By PM please

study LAW in Moscow or Russia

I'm planing to study Law in Russia and will really appreciate if you can advice me

I speck Russian and i'm here in Moscow until 28 July
    i will come back on September

Ben
    by PM please
    Last edited by FatAndy; 17-07-2012 at 20:36.

Studying law in Russia is like studying gravity on the Moon. It's there, but far less present than back home.

Yeah, I was going to do that, realized it was a bad idea when everyone I told who's farther ahead in my field just laughed.

Absolutely no sense.
    better in Europe & US

There is some logic into studying law in Russia-I briefly considered it-because an expat with knowledge of Russian law could be quite useful in business here-especially as a go between middle man-between a western company and the authorities.
    cured

I always wonder at people laughing at the Russian law.. It's not as bad as you might think actually.. First of all, because it's young, i.e. modern.

Russia's problems is not the laws themselves, but their implementation...
    Бешеной собачке семь верст - не крюк!

I had a friend do law as her second degree here in Krasnodar(at a campus of my university). To get a diploma all had to pay a bribe. She declined and didn't receive it. The irony of a university for lawyers asking for a bribe.lol.
    cured

Quote Originally Posted by Inola View Post
    I always wonder at people laughing at the Russian law.. It's not as bad as you might think actually.. First of all, because it's young, i.e. modern.

Russia's problems is not the laws themselves, but their implementation...
    Which is the whole point. Western lawyers know the law inside out (or at least that part of the law they specialize in) and can use their knowledge to help their customers (companies, private persons).

In Russia, such knowledge is useless. A judge, either because he doesn't care, or because he has been paid to reach a certain verdict, or because he has been pressured by the authorities, might come to any conclusion whatsoever, not based on the law you spent 4 years studying at all. What, then, does studying this law bring you? You'd be better off spending your 4 years rubbing elbows with high ranking civil servants and business men. After spending your "education" this way, I am sure you'd be far more successful as a lawyer than any MGU-student.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Which is the whole point. Western lawyers know the law inside out (or at least that part of the law they specialize in) and can use their knowledge to help their customers (companies, private persons).

In Russia, such knowledge is useless. A judge, either because he doesn't care, or because he has been paid to reach a certain verdict, or because he has been pressured by the authorities, might come to any conclusion whatsoever, not based on the law you spent 4 years studying at all. What, then, does studying this law bring you? You'd be better off spending your 4 years rubbing elbows with high ranking civil servants and business men. After spending your "education" this way, I am sure you'd be far more successful as a lawyer than any MGU-student.
    I am sure any good lawyer would be rubbing elbows with the right people anyway. It is probably an entry into the rub elbow club. I go shooting with a circuit judge and a prominent lawyer, the former also a member of Er(because he has to be)...the connections these two have are clearly from their time as lawyers.
    cured

Likewise in Russia

In Russia, such knowledge is useless. A judge, either because he doesn't care, or because he has been paid to reach a certain verdict, or because he has been pressured by the authorities, might come to any conclusion whatsoever, not based on the law you spent 4 years studying at all.
    Not all judges take bribes, not all cases have "political" flavour... Good litigation lawyers are not that many.

Litigation is not the only option of legal career. I've been practising law for 8 years now. First time I was in a courtroom for work was a couple of months ago (internships I don't count).

What, then, does studying this law bring you? You'd be better off spending your 4 years rubbing elbows with high ranking civil servants and business men. After spending your "education" this way, I am sure you'd be far more successful as a lawyer than any MGU-student.
    Nope, studying law is not really about studying the laws (laws tend to change constantly), it's more about learning how to think as a lawyer, to ask the right questions and where to find the answers.

That's what legal education brings you.

Your statement I responded to was a general one about the law in Russia. You now chose to specify your statement. That's OK, but my overall point still stands.

Your statement I responded to was a general one about the law in Russia. You now chose to specify your statement. That's OK, but my overall point still stands.
    Fine with me Your overall statement was studying law in Russia is useless. I disagreed and explained why I disagreed. If you were a lawyer with a degree from a Russian law school, your same statement (studying law in Russia is useless) would have been more substantive.

Quote Originally Posted by Inola View Post
    Fine with me Your overall statement was studying law in Russia is useless. I disagreed and explained why I disagreed. If you were a lawyer with a degree from a Russian law school, your same statement (studying law in Russia is useless) would have been more substantive.
    We've had our fair share of run ins with the law, thank you very much. Both with the business I'm running and, indirectly, issues my family members in St. Pete had. Our lawyers could point at the articles in the law, sometimes even the Constitution, based on which we should prevail. Surprise, surprise, we didn't. Surprise, surprise, all instances we were either up against the local authorities (St. Pete) or well connected business partners (Moscow).

I'm thrilled that such things as, say, divorce law are so well organized here, but if you tango with the state or business people with "connections" the law is, in fact, useless.

We've had our fair share of run ins with the law, thank you very much. Both with the business I'm running and, indirectly, issues my family members in St. Pete had. Our lawyers could point at the articles in the law, sometimes even the Constitution, based on which we should prevail. Surprise, surprise, we didn't. Surprise, surprise, all instances we were either up against the local authorities (St. Pete) or well connected business partners (Moscow).

I'm thrilled that such things as, say, divorce law are so well organized here, but if you tango with the state or business people with "connections" the law is, in fact, useless.
    This only confirms what i said in my first post: laws are fine, proper implementation is not always there.

I condole with your misfortunes, but can't agree with the reasoning that since there is corruption and injustice, lawyers are useless. On the contrary, the more people in Russia become aware of their rights and dare to claim what is their, the better are chances that corruption and injustice won't be tolerated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast