littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for English teachers

Question for English teachers

Why do non-English speakers say "For sure" instead of saying "certainly" or "okay"?

I've found this with a few Russian native speakers and they (and I) don't know where the phrase / habit came from.

Does anyone have an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    Why do non-English speakers say "For sure" instead of saying "certainly" or "okay"?

I've found this with a few Russian native speakers and they (and I) don't know where the phrase / habit came from.

Because it's more 'gangstahhh' saying it like that...foo shoooo..fo shizzle ma nizzle.. yao feel me?

it's my theory..

Quote Originally Posted by Elleworld View Post
    Because it's more 'gangstahhh' saying it like that...foo shoooo..fo shizzle ma nizzle.. yao feel me?

it's my theory..
    Are you from Philly

(For me) there's a difference in the probability of occurrence emphasis, like быть может или может быть и наверно.

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

It's a middle class way of saying I'm sure but but I'm not okay or certain

Quote Originally Posted by robertmf View Post
    Are you from Philly

(For me) there's a difference in the probability of occurrence emphasis, like быть может или может быть и наверно.

hehe..no I'm not, I just like snoop dogg..

It's probably the American influence

In America many times we say for sure... Call me when you find out. For sure!
    it's like definitely or will do.

If you watch any F1 coverage in English, you will hear all the English commentators saying it too! (BBC or Sky)

My brother and I switch to "for sure" mode, whenever we discuss F1, in a very sarcastic way!

i've had several diff russian students tell me that they were told by their instructors that americans feel the use of 'of course' and 'certainly' are rude, while it is very common here (конечно)....so they apply other synonyms.

Quote Originally Posted by swansong View Post
    i've had several diff russian students tell me that they were told by their instructors that americans feel the use of 'of course' and 'certainly' are rude, while it is very common here (конечно)....so they apply other synonyms.
    strange! I have never been told that "of course" or "certanly" was
    rude (when I went to school or my university).

But to be honest you are right in saying that Russians use конечно too often and for sure (yes, americanism) is what we use as direct translation which is very simple in memorizing and pronuncing.

There is just one конечно in Russia (the words "безусловно", "определенно" are rary used by younger generation). so "sure" is a simple option for many people who speak English.

but to my opinion, "of course" is used as often as "sure" by Russians, is not it?
    not only s.t happens!

это нормально

Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post
    strange! I have never been told that "of course" or "certainly" was
    rude (when I went to school or my university).

But to be honest you are right in saying that Russians use конечно too often and for sure (yes, Americanism) is what we use as direct translation which is very simple in memorizing and pronouncing.

There is just one конечно in Russia (the words "безусловно", "определенно" are rarely used by younger generation). so "sure" is a simple option for many people who speak English.

but in my opinion, "of course" is used as often as "sure" by Russians, is it not ?
    How about "sure" is конечно and "for sure" is конечно же

In the vernacular, "sure" and "of course" are the same - just that it's easier to say 1 syllable instead of 2.

"Certainly" and "of course" are only rude when used with a sarcastic|snide or patronizing tone of voice.

Lost in moscow is offline Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
    If I knew, would it be still called lost?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post

I use "for sure" and "certainly" and "ok" and "roger that" and "yes" and "sure thing" depending on the topic, situation, and person that I'm talking to.

Are you trying to say that in english grammar it somehow is wrong to use "for sure" instead of "certainly" or "ok"?
    I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus.

Quote Originally Posted by bob-b-d View Post
    In America many times we say for sure... Call me when you find out. For sure!
    it's like definitely or will do.
    Het. You're in Brighton Beach, aren't you

Quote Originally Posted by Englishmanabroad View Post
    It's a middle class way of saying I'm sure but but I'm not okay or certain
    I am also agree with my friend.I also think little bit same.

Quote Originally Posted by swansong View Post
    Rude to say of course/certainly? -simply not true,in fact ,nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost in moscow View Post
    I use "for sure" and "certainly" and "ok" and "roger that" and "yes" and "sure thing" depending on the topic, situation, and person that I'm talking to.

Are you trying to say that in english grammar it somehow is wrong to use "for sure" instead of "certainly" or "ok"?
    FOR SURE is more of an Americanism than English English. It's yet another of those Americanisms that are now creeping across the pond via film and TV use.

Roger that? ahhaha.....I'm afraid I'd laugh out loud if you said that to me....That come from the military radio use of course.....

By the way,do you know the other meaning for Roger/rogering?

agreed, it's not rude. just repeating what i was told.
    I've always considered 'for sure' more of a valley girl/80s thing. Rarely heard used in my extensive research in the southeast and northeast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast