littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Apostille vs Notarization? PLEASE HELP

Apostille vs Notarization? PLEASE HELP

I have accepted a job with a Russian company and am in the process of applying for a work permit through them.

My company sent me an e-mail requesting, among other things

A) "a copy of your passport translated into Russian and notarized in the Russian Consulate ONLY!!! "

B)"your certificate of education translated into Russian notarized and legalized in the Russian Consulate ONLY!!!!!"

(emphasis theirs)

Anyhow, I got both documents translated. I am now waiting on my appointment with the Russian Consulate in order to get the damn things stamped, presumably with an apostille/apostil or however you spell it.

What I don't get however, is whether I need to "notarize" the translated documents with a US notary public first, before going to the Russian Consulate to get the translated documents legalized there. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Is it enough to simply bring my translations and originals to the Russian Consulate or must I notarize them in a bank or something first in order for the Russian Consulate to legalize them?

Many thanks. My HR department for some reason doesn't understand the question. Perhaps the answer is obvious but I've been struggling to sort this out.

Quote Originally Posted by LucyK View Post
    I have accepted a job with a Russian company and am in the process of applying for a work permit through them.

My company sent me an e-mail requesting, among other things

A) "a copy of your passport translated into Russian and notarized in the Russian Consulate ONLY!!! "

B)"your certificate of education translated into Russian notarized and legalized in the Russian Consulate ONLY!!!!!"

(emphasis theirs)

Anyhow, I got both documents translated. I am now waiting on my appointment with the Russian Consulate in order to get the damn things stamped, presumably with an apostille/apostil or however you spell it.

What I don't get however, is whether I need to "notarize" the translated documents with a US notary public first, before going to the Russian Consulate to get the translated documents legalized there. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Is it enough to simply bring my translations and originals to the Russian Consulate or must I notarize them in a bank or something first in order for the Russian Consulate to legalize them?

Many thanks. My HR department for some reason doesn't understand the question. Perhaps the answer is obvious but I've been struggling to sort this out.
    Why don't you ask the consulate directly about the requirements? I think it might be a good idea to notorize with appostile the copies of your passport and diploma . Pring them together with originals to consulate