littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Permanent ban for Roja. Suggestion?

Permanent ban for Roja. Suggestion?

As it is widely thought this was another reincarnation of a previously permanently banned poster, I wonder if it possible to ban specific IP addresses as well as a user name?

Although that would not stop such a person finding another PC, it would inconvenience him by severly reducing the accessability of re-registering under yet another name where he is, without cost or effort. And if he abuses a friend's hospitality he is accountable to them for their being restricted!

I am not technical so don't know if what I say makes sence or indeed is possible. Or possibly too easily to overcome to be worthwhile.
    If you ride or just dream of it ...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533442

The problem is that if he turns his modem off for a few hours, he will be assigned a new IP address - that's how most ISPs work.

I bow to a greater knowledge. I thought the actual PC had the permanant identifier, not its current connection.

Note to self: stick to what you know (Which is not a lot!!)
    If you ride or just dream of it ...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533442

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    The problem is that if he turns his modem off for a few hours, he will be assigned a new IP address - that's how most ISPs work.
    oooooh! So interesting!
    A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish90293 View Post
    oooooh! So interesting!
    I have it from the highest sources that Roja was not Willy. I accept that and assume it is pure coincidence that Roja and Patriot have all stopped posting at the same time. Stay tuned at 11 for more details; I doubt we've heard the last from these interesting chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack17 View Post
    I have it from the highest sources that Roja was not Willy. I accept that and assume it is pure coincidence that Roja and Patriot have all stopped posting at the same time. Stay tuned at 11 for more details; I doubt we've heard the last from these interesting chaps.
    Rusmeister?
    cured

Quote Originally Posted by yakspeare View Post
    Rusmeister?
    My lips are sealed.

so basically it is this?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    when i finished working on the computer i turn off the -main- switch. no electricity for anything, computer,printer,modem, nothing. maybe come back only after work and turn it on. in the evening i do the same. so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
    just for interests sake, where could i check that out if it IS like that?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    when i finished working on the computer i turn off the -main- switch. no electricity for anything, computer,printer,modem, nothing. maybe come back only after work and turn it on. in the evening i do the same. so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
    In IP protocol settings of your PC (if you have direct Ethenet connection) or modem (if you have ADSL or DOCSIS).

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
    Best is to check the IP every time you had turn on your PC.
    You can use http://myip.dk for that, write it down (the IP adresse) then it is more easy to check if it change.
    This works no matter how you are connected to the internet, and it shows what IP is present to the places you visit on the internet, remember you put your stamp (IP adress) all the places you visits.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    In IP protocol settings of your PC (if you have direct Ethenet connection) or modem (if you have ADSL or DOCSIS).
    Not always true, your ISP can have NAT and then you only see a internal IP adress, and if you have a router between your PC and your internet then you are most licky behind NAT too, so best is to check it up against the internet.

I usually type into Google: what is my ip

Another thing to remember - some companies (eg. Akado) share an IP address between many customers. So in that case it wouldn't change, but it would still be impractical for expat.ru to block a user based that IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony P View Post
    I thought the actual PC had the permanant identifier, not its current connection.
    There is another address which is permanent. It's called a "MAC address". However, websites which you visit can't see that address; only your ISP can.

In the admin CP of the site you have the ability to ban the ISP as well as the user, the user can get a new one, but ban that after as well

Most PCs do not change their ISP when re-logging on, but an ISP can be used by others

The best way to deter this is for the users on this site to use the report button and then you site team dudes can deal with instantly

I have noticed the level of modding on this site has increased dramatically, well done chaps but the users of the site need to take ownership and report posts as well, this saves a huge amount of time for the site team and increases the moderation of the site
    Life is what you make it, we can ALL find negatives in everything, me, I prefer to see the positive, but hey, that's just me..

Quote Originally Posted by moscowmail View Post
    In the admin CP of the site you have the ability to ban the ISP as well as the user, the user can get a new one, but ban that after as well

Most PCs do not change their ISP when re-logging on, but an ISP can be used by others

The best way to deter this is for the users on this site to use the report button and then you site team dudes can deal with instantly

I have noticed the level of modding on this site has increased dramatically, well done chaps but the users of the site need to take ownership and report posts as well, this saves a huge amount of time for the site team and increases the moderation of the site
    I'm generally unwilling to report others; it seems that 99% of the time ignoring them is easier and wiser. They'd have to be advocating pogroms on minorities, murder and mayhem. But in general, the ignore user function works, though posts by such users can still be seen in the reflections of quotes by others. The very few that insist on being unreasonable can be relegated there; if enough people did that, they would go away on their own.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast