littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Having students cancel on you

Having students cancel on you

I'm using an English agency here that connects me with potential students. The clients typically pay the agency 1/3 of the course and the remainder to me, usually 1,800-2,600. Normal. But here's the rub. Since many of the students are executives and can only be taught after work, they cancel. A lot. I'd love to go back to the agency and say, "Hey, the guy you gave me has been canceling on me. I'm dropping him so give me another student." The agency won't do this because they're under contract to provide an instructor to the client regardless and by reassigning new teachers, it costs them potential income from signing on new clients and matching them with available teachers.

Anyone else have to deal with this? It really sucks when budgeting and paying bills to have 3-4 cancellations a week and I've turned down other students to teach these guys.

I make them pay for one up front and if the cancel too late or too much they lose it. Just drop them and find a new one. If you go through enough you'll find some that want to learn.

Stop using the agency. Either go it alone or find work with a company that pays you for late cancellations.

Consequences...

In our case, if we are cancelling a lesson in short notice we choose to pay our teacher unless there is enough time for her to get an extra student.
    I always do it with the cleaning ladies as well. If I cancel and I know that they can not replace the hour, I pay.

Ask for a monthly pay

Maybe even at a little discount but all students cancel tell them you will only accept monthly pay if they cancel you lose too much. It's the ONLY way... or 50% for cancelled classes... but there should be an exception for New Years and the summer

Quote Originally Posted by Dolgoprudny Neil View Post
    Stop using the agency. Either go it alone or find work with a company that pays you for late cancellations.
    Thanks, and can you recommend such a company? Many thanks!

It's quite normal to ask students to pay in advance for a series of lessons.

Then if they fail to make the lesson without due notice, they forfeit the lesson fee. That's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Thanks, and can you recommend such a company? Many thanks!
    You can try these:
    http://repetitors.info/repetitor/english/
    http://www.repetit.ru/repetitors.aspx?subjectId=2

There may be other sites where "репетиторы" advertise.. search on Yandex.

Ask the company to change the policy

and explain to them they won't keep teachers (including you) if they don't)

Actually, there is not much you can do if you use an agency. Just be patient.

Lost in moscow is offline Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!
    If I knew, would it be still called lost?
    Back in the days, when my mom was teaching piano to privet students, she learned quickly to make their parents pay for the month ahead, so if they cancel last minute, thats their problem since the lesson was already paid for but forfeited.
    I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus.

I have scene your problem. People forget that we, teachers, need to pay rent too. Either that or they just don't care. Tip: Adults cancel much more than children. But ultimately, I am trying to find my own students outside of an agency, and this is a primary factor in this reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    I'm using an English agency here that connects me with potential students. The clients typically pay the agency 1/3 of the course and the remainder to me, usually 1,800-2,600. Normal. But here's the rub. Since many of the students are executives and can only be taught after work, they cancel. A lot. I'd love to go back to the agency and say, "Hey, the guy you gave me has been canceling on me. I'm dropping him so give me another student." The agency won't do this because they're under contract to provide an instructor to the client regardless and by reassigning new teachers, it costs them potential income from signing on new clients and matching them with available teachers.

Anyone else have to deal with this? It really sucks when budgeting and paying bills to have 3-4 cancellations a week and I've turned down other students to teach these guys.

I have seen the problem, and the problem is us

I have scene your problem.

Back in the days, when my mom was teaching piano to privet students,

Teachers make basic mistakes like these and I certainly wouldn't pay them. Isn't there any quality control ?

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid