littleangels        English Nanny
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Comparison of EMS/TNT/UPS fast mail

I remember PX Post! It was in a really dingy basement on Zorge Steet, yes. But the Englishman running it did get you your packages in one piece via his club of browbeaten couriers who would lug it to the door. I remember at one point he had about three/four expats working for him in that basement out of a staff of about 25. Even dealt with an expat Customer Service Manager. Very bizarre but reliable and he cracked a whip to keep his ship tight.....

EMS

I would not really trust the EMS - I have twice stolen my mailing .... forever ... (((

Quote Originally Posted by annasophia View Post
    Tremendously useful thread. Needs to be pinned?

I riddle you all this:

What about mailing/shipping out of Russia to the west? What works, what doesn't work? Experiences, suggestions?

Is there a reliable reasonably priced service which can be depended on to mail/ship items both in and out of Russia, both ways?

Carry on.
    A very relevant and useful rhetorical question. I am also looking for a decent priced, relatively fast and above all trustworthy mail service. Any Suggestions so far?

I honestly prefer DHL to UPS. The latter do not call to check if you are at the delivery address and never manage to deal with the entrance codes.

Last experience: a friend send me candy with UPS - it arrived to Moscow, passed the import scan to be send back as the item fell under the UPS's restrictions regarding the international deliveries.

Pricewise, it's approximately 85-90 EUR per package.
    "Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly."

I've sent out 4 kg parcel to my brother in Ukraine via Russian Post Intl post office at Varshavskoe shosse, one tram stop (or 5 min by feet) from m. Nagatinskaya, grey line, south - by cheapest tariff (not avia, no "accelerators", just plain post, by next pony). It was around 1200+ rub plus 70 rub carton box. Arrived in 10 days.
    My local post office has directed me there as they were unable to accept "more-than-banderole-weight", i.e. 2 kg or more. At the same time, if I'd need to send that 4 kg parcel with more expensive EMS (see my previous posts in this thread), they can do it with 4 kg from he local office Here I've purchased that box.

This Intl office has ticketed queue (as in some of bank offices), 6 windows were working, and I had to wait 40-50 min totally. The girl has pulled the polypropilene sack onto the box, and I've wrote address onto hard carton label attached to the "neck" of the sack, and onto the order/quttance blank (with my passport data). No questions, no problems, no customs papers - but please remember we have a bit simplified procedure for exUSSR.

EMS lost my package (with a credit card inside) and then my bank called me asking, if it was me trying to use this card in one of the former CIS countries.

EMS is the worst, I do hope the service'll change for the better some day. But untill then I try not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    I think export time is equal to import time in our conditions. As far as I know, most time is not physical check-up, but paperwork.
    Is there a company that sends 3-6 boxes from the US to Russia?I am sorry if these questions are "simple", so far everyone I call says that many boxes are "too small" of a shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by finnandcork View Post
    Is there a company that sends 3-6 boxes from the US to Russia?I am sorry if these questions are "simple", so far everyone I call says that many boxes are "too small" of a shipment.

USPS are the people to use.

Check the rates on these two links:-

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-m...ional-flat.htm

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-m...-flat-rate.htm

tyroneslothrop is offline Former Expat in Moscow in the 90's

Courier services which are easiest for recipient

If I am sending a package from the US to Moscow, which express courier is easiest for the recipient (example: doesn't involve going out to an office by the MKAD, etc.). Home deliveries are preferred.

A few years ago, I made the mistake of sending something by UPS and that turned out to be a nightmare for my wife to pickup from the "hassle" perspective.

Thanks!

I'd say UPS, or maybe DHL. But definitely not TNT.
    Just roll your mouse up, there is a stuck thread: http://www.expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=379462
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

UPS is OK

Last year we had a bit of trouble getting packages from them, but now they seem to have worked out a pretty smooth system of sending you email notices and asking for the invoice and passport copy pdfed to get packages through customs pretty quickly.

On the other hand DHL has mislaid two packages for us so far this year. (Although to their credit, we eventually got them.)

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Packages can now travel from Beijing to Moscow by rail following the launch of the first Russia-China railroad delivery service, the logistics branch of Russian Railways announced Monday.

"Up to the present, international mail was delivered to Russia by air and by road only," Russian Railways Logistics said in a statement. The service was organized on behalf of state postal service Russian Post.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/busine...ce/514602.html

Fast mail service dose not exist here. Never has. Beat down and lost major contracts due to the inefficiency of the carriers. They drop the ball big time once things hit the country.Example 2 days across the world 4 days once the mail reaches Russia. Plus another 4 days just to bring it in. When times were good cant imagine now.

Quote Originally Posted by zzhhst View Post
    Fast mail service dose not exist here. Never has. Beat down and lost major contracts due to the inefficiency of the carriers. They drop the ball big time once things hit the country.Example 2 days across the world 4 days once the mail reaches Russia. Plus another 4 days just to bring it in. When times were good cant imagine now.
    For a one-off success story: for the first time ever I ordered something into Russia last week. Car part from Riga, Latvia via EMS. Was shipped Friday noon and was handed to me in Moscow Monday morning. As it was marked below 200€ no paperwork of any kind was required. Got an SMS 2 hours before the courier showed up, and he was a very nice bloke to boot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast