littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Fairly new...

Fairly new...

Hi,
    I'm from UK and fairly new to Moscow and have been to all the obvious places but am wondering where there are more interesting places and things to see in Moscow.

Also I'm interested in going to gigs and bars and would like recommendations on any indie clubs here and am looking for more people to hang around with who are into music, sightseeing, travel etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gorki View Post
    Hi,
    I'm from UK and fairly new to Moscow and have been to all the obvious places but am wondering where there are more interesting places and things to see in Moscow.

Also I'm interested in going to gigs and bars and would like recommendations on any indie clubs here and am looking for more people to hang around with who are into music, sightseeing, travel etc.
    Go to B2 club( клуб Б2).There are 5 floors.
    http://www.b2club.ru/
    You will find everything.

[QUOTE=gorki;922981]Hi,
    I'm from UK and fairly new to Moscow and have been to all the obvious places

Isn't it a bit of overstatement? I've been living in Moscow for nearly 20 years and obviously have NOT been to all its places of interest. Moscow is a huge city with innumerable opportunities for those who really want to explore it.

For starters I suggest going to the newly restored Bolshoi Theatre. It's so much spoken about nowadays and it's really worth a visit. Though you might not want to queue for tickets. Then be sure to book them in advance.

Good places for music - depends what you're looking for, exactly. Mid-sized touring acts tend to end up at Arena (m Dinamo), A1 (m Leninsky Prospekt) and Milk (m Ul 1905 Goda), smaller visiting bands often play 16 Tons (1905 Goda) or China Town Cafe (Kitai Gorod). Those two are also good for non-mainstream Russian acts, and 16 Tons has a good website (www.16tons.ru, in Russian). Kitaisky Lyotchik (m Kitai Gorod) is well-known - you probably found it mentioned in whichever guidebook you used when you first got here. China Town has opened in the building above it, and seems to be bringing in some interesting acts.

I quite like Proekt OGI (Chistiye Prudy), in a dangerous, smoke-filled, fire-trap kind of way, but a lot of their music is a bit too self-consciously alternative for me. Gogol (Teatralnaya) gets some interesting bands, but I don't really like the venue.

Probably my favourite venue at the moment is Dom (Novokuznetskaya), which does lots of fairly obscure jazz or folksy stuff and is non-smoking (rare in Moscow, and notwithstanding my comments on Proekt OGI I'm not fond of smelling like an ashtray when i get home!). The music there is nearly always interesting.

Good sources for listings: depends on the language. The Moscow Times has probably the most complete English-language guide on Thursdays, but there isn't always much info about the acts. Moscow News (Tues and Fri) has some more detailed previews (Vladimir Kozlov writes a lot of them, and knows the scene pretty well IMHO) but less detailed listings. Element (fortnightly, published on Thursdays) is a bit mixed - there's not much about local acts there sometimes, but they are stronger on visiting bands. In Russian Afisha's website is probably more useful than the fortnightly magazine (afisha.ru). Time Out isn't bad and might be a bit easier to search. Both of those are only in Russian, as far as I remember.

It's also possibly worth checking out places like Artplay na Yauze (home of the British Design School, which was doing rooftop gigs in summer), Flakon (m Dmitrovskaya), a fairly new 'design factory' and some of the Krasnye Oktyabr bars. These are all converted industrial sites; Krasnye Oktyabr can be a bit self-consciously hipsterish but I liked what I saw of Flakon on my way to the Silver Apples gig the other week. Aktovy Zal is the granddaddy of that type of venue, but seems to have more contemporary dance than music these days.

So yes, you might have guessed that I like a bit of music. Feel free to drop me a line if you want more on any of the above - and enjoy exploring the city