littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Good employer for Work Visa

Good employer for Work Visa

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend a good English school in Moscow that can provide work Visa support and a good pay rate?

Thanks!
    Amelia

WHY do you want to be an ESL teacher? Many times it's asking for poverty, and Moscow's not cheap.

I would also like an answer for this question. I am very interested in moving to Moscow in the future. What do the ESL teachers generally make in a month/what is the standard living rate. With nothing fancy, just some living and going out money. And for everyone it is not about being in 'poverty' people have different definitions of this word. I come from a small town in Texas (pop. 2000) Just having food to eat and a roof over my head is good for me. But i'm sure in Moscow it would be extremely different. Maybe its if you can't afford a bottle or two at the clubs then you are in poverty?

vacany page

theres a school 23km outside of moscow offering about 65000 rur,visa and i believe accomadation. Life should be cheaper there! Cieck out the vacancy page on expats main page

I think nobody is answering on this thread because it's hard to find a school with a high rate of pay. So nobody wants to tell because of competition reasons. It's perfectly understandable.

I have heard it is very hard to get a work visa. It seems like most of the companies want you to already be in Moscow so they don't have to deal with the bureaucracy of arranging a visa for you.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by huk View Post

You're funny!!!

She said, "can provide work Visa support and a good pay rate?"

You're definitely not going to get that out of these folks!!!

I would also like an answer for this question. I am very interested in moving to Moscow in the future. What do the ESL teachers generally make in a month/what is the standard living rate. With nothing fancy, just some living and going out money. And for everyone it is not about being in 'poverty' people have different definitions of this word. I come from a small town in Texas (pop. 2000) Just having food to eat and a roof over my head is good for me. But i'm sure in Moscow it would be extremely different. Maybe its if you can't afford a bottle or two at the clubs then you are in poverty?
    That's not it. I live basically with food and a roof over my head. Moscow's very expensive. The most expensive city on Earth. Rent here is very high, and while certain things like some foods and other goods are as cheap or cheaper than in the US, expect to pay way much more for just about everything else. It's better, if you want to live on an ESL salary, to be outside Moscow (the city itself I mean).

This place isn't going to help with visa support. Problem is, based on what I've read, most schools don't want to get the proper visa and sponsor a foreigner because the taxes are 30%. That's what the school has to pay until you have been in Russia for 6 months and then the taxes go down to 12 or 13%. Plus BKC wants you to have a TEFL or TESOL certificate before they will consider you. And there was a teacher who sued BKC, check out the story:

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-...dex.pl?read=43

Quote Originally Posted by getawaynow View Post
    This place isn't going to help with visa support. Problem is, based on what I've read, most schools don't want to get the proper visa and sponsor a foreigner because the taxes are 30%. That's what the school has to pay until you have been in Russia for 6 months and then the taxes go down to 12 or 13%. Plus BKC wants you to have a TEFL or TESOL certificate before they will consider you. And there was a teacher who sued BKC, check out the story:
    BKC does provide visa support. Teachers employed from other countries are provided with a teacher's visa and all visa and registration costs are paid for fully by BKC (teachers pay nothing for this).

Regarding the teacher who sued, it was one teacher who was unhappy with the level of health care she received, and it escalated into something more serious. It happens. Especially if you start to 'demand' the same standards as you have in your home country. Some teachers can't stay in Moscow because they can't deal with the realities of life here (not mature enough). Some teachers work for BKC and have a wonderful relationship with the school, and have a good life, too. It doesn't have to be expensive, and it won't be if you don't shop where the 'rich' people shop. There are plenty of neighbourhood supermarkets, bars, cafes etc that aren't expensive (even in the centre, just don't go to the 'in' places). Look around and you'll find some nice little bars etc where a beer doesn't cost the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by getawaynow View Post

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-...dex.pl?read=43
    After writing a report like that, I think her legal case would have been a disaster. What she wrote gave BKC plenty of evidence to discredit her case.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyFirefly View Post
    WHY do you want to be an ESL teacher? Many times it's asking for poverty, and Moscow's not cheap.
    Yes, if you are nuts enough to let a school get you by the short and curlies, no, if you either work as a governess with kids or strike out on your own.

Hope it helps

nativespeakers.ru