littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Where to find rubbing alcohol?

Where to find rubbing alcohol?

Does anyone know where I can purchase rubbing alcohol? When I asked at the pharmacy, I was told that I need a prescription to purchase it. Does anyone have ideas about this? Thanks!

Rubbing? Do you mean that alcohol to wipe a skin before making injection by a syringe?
    If yes, they sell it in smaller Apteka kiosks under the name:

Раствор медицинский антисептический (Medical antiseptical solution)

(and from under the table )
    Should look similar to:

Local alcoholists like it very much - "cheap and angry"(C)

Wow! I thought that I had the right name when asking at the pharmacy at my local grocery store, but maybe not. I will write down this name and try again. There are several pharmacies in my area. The pharmacist told me that they could not sell it in Russia because it is dangerous to drink. So I will try again!

Again, search in kiosks or smaller pharmacies. They're... hmmm... less strict .
    Maybe you asked for "spirt"? Don't, please..

Ask like this:
    U vas yest' antiseptichesky rastvor? (Do you have antiseptic solution?) Dve shtuki, pozhalusta (Two pcs, please).

Dangerous? Maybe. I don't drink it, just keep for home usage (household, disinfection etc.). But local alcoholists (and bomzhi) are still alive

It IS dangerous to drink. That's why you need a prescription for it. If there were no prescription required, alcholics would buy it and drink it. Yes, they're that desperate to get a fix.

Do you need it for injections? Perhaps they have alcohol wipes that are non-prescription.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

Come on. They buy it and drink it. And will buy and drink. Till the moment when it will be at the same level of price with vodka (equalized by vol. %).

But even then they will find smth similar, like this:

BTW, for skin disinfection this one is even better. 95% alcohol is less effective for proteins denaturation than 70-75%.

Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    It IS dangerous to drink. That's why you need a prescription for it. If there were no prescription required, alcholics would buy it and drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase rubbing alcohol? When I asked at the pharmacy, I was told that I need a prescription to purchase it. Does anyone have ideas about this? Thanks!
    What are you going to do with it?
    ◀► ◢◤

if you need it as a desinfectant

indeed the local chemist will not sell it to you as it is mostly misused.
    if you need something just to rub down the skin in order to have a jab, when doing it at home, use 'salicilovaya spirt 1% or also 2%'.
    the 1% is most of the time not in stock so we buy 10 bottles, 40 rubles each, when the local chemist has it. sold freely with no prescription.

not implying or suggesting anything, my wife uses it as disinfectant for skin indeed, before we have an injection, also uses it on the cat or the dog, (after a visit to the vet...)
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Rubbing alcohol

If by rubbing alcohol you mean isopropanol (CH3-COH-CH3) go to Chip & Dip (Dorogomilovskaya 1, Metro Kievskaya). For 140-160 roubles ($5) you'll get 0.5L bottle.

It is a gentle yet extremely effective cleanser. One of its properties is to tighten sweat pores which makes it an effective desodorant. Unlike ethanol it is a bit oily, which makes it great for warming massage (thus the name "rubbing alcohol"). But no, you cannot buy in in local pharmacies. No use trying. Went through that. Also they don't allow it on planes any more.

"Nastoyka boyaryshnika" (Hawthorn tincture?) will not do for hygienic purposes because of its strong smell but if you need to get drunk cheap then yes, it is a good choice. "Nastoyka veleriany" is another substitute for vodka. But avoid Valocordin, Valoserdin and similar stuff unless you want to be knocked out for a day.

For injections anything will do. Pads, vodka, even vinegar. Nothing easier than to kill them poor germs.

Lastly, don't attempt drinking isopropyl alcohol! Not only is it utterly disgusting, it is almost certain to upset your stomach. I have a population of bomzhi near to where I live (Metro Alexeyevskaya) and can obtain a comprehensive consulation on how to tune yourself out cheap. My casual observations indicate that the drink of choice is "nastoyka valerianki" and "nastoyka boyaryshnika". Not only is it cheap but unlike volka it sells after 11pm.

Hope the above helps, whether you want to stay clean, need a warming rub, or have to get drunk.

Pasha

PS. That's how the bottle looks

Let me see if I can attach a picture so that you can recognize it on the shelf in Chip&Dip.