littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Words fail me sometimes...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0

    Words fail me sometimes...

    Just walked home from metro and saw a a nice flashy car with a lovely golden retriever type dog inside looking like it was going to suffocate! Thought surely there must be a window open somewhere, but nothing! Didn't know what to do. People were walking past and obviously couldn't give a stuff. Not saying they should, but this dog was just looking so forlorn. If the owner hasn't returned by now, the dog will probably be dead. Boiling on street - imagine inside of a car!

    I'm not even an animal-lover, but that kind of thing disgusts me. Walked away feeling peed off at myself for not trying to help properly, peed off at Russian apathy when I tried to find out about what to do next, and peed off about this city, where life, be it animal or human, is cheap.

    Sorry, just had to vent feelings...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 0
    Don't be so negative. It could happen anywhere not only in Russia. It depends on the owner not on the country he or she lives in. You could break a car window and help doggy to get out..
    We all lie in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0
    Yeah - right! Who do you think would've been arrested and prosecuted?! The idiot car/dog owner, or the idiot expat lady?!

    I've been here a while, I'm a russoPHILE God help me and am certainly not of the view that Russia is terrible or Moscow is awful just because I can't find my favourite brand of breakfast cereal! I do know however from what I've witnessed and just by talking to Russian friends and family, that life IS cheap here.

    In the UK, I can tell you, there's no way you'd leave a child or animal in a baking car, unless you wanted to be arrested and named and shamed in the newspapers.

  4. #4
    Judge's Avatar
    Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    19,667
    Thanked: 3632
    It's sickening to hear such stories,poor dog,if a cop was about, he might be able to do something,like smash a window,that would teach the driver a lesson.There must be some law in Russia about this.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurt View Post
    Yeah - right! Who do you think would've been arrested and prosecuted?! The idiot car/dog owner, or the idiot expat lady?!

    I've been here a while, I'm a russoPHILE God help me and am certainly not of the view that Russia is terrible or Moscow is awful just because I can't find my favourite brand of breakfast cereal! I do know however from what I've witnessed and just by talking to Russian friends and family, that life IS cheap here.

    In the UK, I can tell you, there's no way you'd leave a child or animal in a baking car, unless you wanted to be arrested and named and shamed in the newspapers.
    Yes, I agree the owner of the dog have to be punished but I wouldn't say everyone here is like that. I try not to think bad about all people and especially generalize.
    After all I have my own bad story that happened to me on metro. I was hit by a man because I was just on his way and when I fell down on the floor nobody helped. I hardly got out of the metro and my leg was hurting about a week or so. Even after this case I still don't think people are too bad. There were situations when people helped me so it depends.
    We all lie in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0
    I don't think all people are bad, know what you're saying.

    Have had my own situations like yours. Recently fell over on the trolleybus with my two-year-old in tow. Was rolling around the aisle with my knickers on view, and people were just staring at me - didn't even try to help my son!! Had to get off the bus, so no chance to say anything to anyone . Called my (Russian) other half and cursed his compatriates between here and Vladivostock!
    Ten minutes later though, someone let me cross a busy road. All became well again with the (Moscow) world! Up down, up down here...

    I do try to see the good in people as it's easier that way, just today, I felt like a freak for even caring what happened to this dog.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    4,531
    Thanked: 0
    i do not why, on a regular basis, the fuss about "in Russia...whilst in the UK" is kicked

    i have always wondered if these people knew the country they were going to live in or they just pick Moscow believing to emigrate in the civilized world

    and dunno who told "it could happen anywhere" but its false

    in my country it would not happen and it would not happen in the majority of european countries where people would have stopped and called the police

    pathetic

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurt View Post
    I don't think all people are bad, know what you're saying.

    Have had my own situations like yours. Recently fell over on the trolleybus with my two-year-old in tow. Was rolling around the aisle with my knickers on view, and people were just staring at me - didn't even try to help my son!! Had to get off the bus, so no chance to say anything to anyone . Called my (Russian) other half and cursed his compatriates between here and Vladivostock!
    Ten minutes later though, someone let me cross a busy road. All became well again with the (Moscow) world! Up down, up down here...

    I do try to see the good in people as it's easier that way, just today, I felt like a freak for even caring what happened to this dog.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Some people are really rude
    We all lie in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    seems I'm nowhere now
    Posts
    8,217
    Thanked: 9
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurt View Post
    Just walked home from metro and saw a a nice flashy car with a lovely golden retriever type dog inside looking like it was going to suffocate! Thought surely there must be a window open somewhere, but nothing! Didn't know what to do. People were walking past and obviously couldn't give a stuff. Not saying they should, but this dog was just looking so forlorn. If the owner hasn't returned by now, the dog will probably be dead. Boiling on street - imagine inside of a car!

    I'm not even an animal-lover, but that kind of thing disgusts me. Walked away feeling peed off at myself for not trying to help properly, peed off at Russian apathy when I tried to find out about what to do next, and peed off about this city, where life, be it animal or human, is cheap.

    Sorry, just had to vent feelings...

    fleurt, i wrote one time here that there are good and bad russians. It's pity that it happend to you and to a doggie which were in such misery. But by the way if you so empathized with it, why you didn't call to police. And if you didn't it, what is difference between you and them, bad russians,... ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    4,531
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Korotky Gennady View Post
    fleurt, i wrote one time here that there are good and bad russians. It's pity that it happend to you and to a doggie which were in such misery. But by the way if you so empathized with it, why you didn't call to police. And if you didn't it, what is difference between you and them, bad russians,... ?

    the difference is that SHE is not supposed to care about the dog in the car and that RUSSIANS are actually supposed to care about it.

    Seeing then the dog in pain will let her coming back to her own country and mocking at the lack of civilization in Moscow.

    It is a weird pervert mechanism but common in MANY MANY travellers and expats.

  11. #11
    Judge's Avatar
    Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    19,667
    Thanked: 3632
    Locking a dog in a car in blazing heat will happen in every country in the world,from England to Timbuktu.People who do such a barbaric thing ,only care about their car being safe or think they will only be away for a few minutes.Russians in general are dog lovers,you can see this from the amount of dog walkers here ,and from the people who go out of their way to feed the metro dogs.Cases of abused animals is in every country,every country has people who are rotten to the core.

    Sal, i'm pretty sure i could find cases online where dogs have been left in cars in Italy.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    4,531
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge View Post
    Locking a dog in a car in blazing heat will happen in every country in the world,from England to Timbuktu.People who do such a barbaric thing ,only care about their car being safe or think they will only be away for a few minutes.Russians in general are dog lovers,you can see this from the amount of dog walkers here ,and from the people who go out of their way to feed the metro dogs.Cases of abused animals is in every country,every country has people who are rotten to the core.

    Sal, i'm pretty sure i could find cases online where dogs have been left in cars in Italy.
    yes but you would not find cases of people who did not care and walk past

    as concern feeding stray-dogs you should by now have noticed that this is usually done by "not-so-wealthy individuals" and the explanation it is the following (no according to me, I am not so clever to be able to draw such a brilliant conclusion): this poor russian class identifies with the stray dogs...both of them have been OMITTED up by the collapse of Communism.
    Same applies to Romania where citizens have no cash for eating but they will keep sparing food to street-dogs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0
    Yes Sal, you are right. You know best.

    Fleurt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    29
    Thanked: 0
    KG

    I was thinking about what to do, called a couple of Russian people to see if they knew about some kind of society for the protection of animals. Nobody knew. People on the street thought I was crazy when I said to look at the dog and help. I have no registration in my passport, so didn't want to risk my status here by calling the police. Actually, I was hoping that the owner of both dog and car wouldn't be such a TOTAL dumbF@@"k and come back asap.

    Pls tell me KG what you would have done as a foreigner in this city? Not a dig, just wld like an honest answer. Broken an expensive car window? Not sure you would have... There are just some things you don't do here.

    F.

  15. #15
    Judge's Avatar
    Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    19,667
    Thanked: 3632
    Sal, the collapse of communism ddin't effect me,i feed the metro dogs at my home station,half of the time they turn their nose up at the food .Also i often see young people feeding stray dogs here,it's not just the old genertaion who do it.

    Last winter i felt really embarrassed ,i bought a loaf of bread and started to feed the dogs,a woman tunred up and started giving the dogs large chunks of meat,i don't give them bread anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •