littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Visa - invalid when work contract ends?

Work Visa - invalid when work contract ends?

Hi everyone,

simple question - I have a work visa (Ino sotrudnik, 006), which only expires November 2012. Will this visa be invalid, when my work contract in Russia (local contract) ends on July 31, 2011?

I was planning on returning to Russia every second weekend for private reasons - just for 2-3 days, so no need to register.

Or will I just have to get a new 3-month-visa now?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    Hi everyone,

simple question - I have a work visa (Ino sotrudnik, 006), which only expires November 2012. Will this visa be invalid, when my work contract in Russia (local contract) ends on July 31, 2011?

I was planning on returning to Russia every second weekend for private reasons - just for 2-3 days, so no need to register.

Cheers
    You can come back for private reasons any time before that visa expires - did exactly this just 2 weeks ago!

Your employer may or may not cancel the visa when you cease working for them.

your visa expires officially as soon as your employer cancels it.

and by law as long as your employer hasn't cancelled it yet, they'll have to pay taxes and social security and all that stuff as stated in your contract. hence, they have an interest in cancelling it.

the most common way to keep your visa legally is to go on unpaid leave until your visa expires. but then your employer is still liable for registering you properly every time you're in the country.

Matti, i think you can talk to your company for not cancelling the visa when you leave Russia. Hence you keep travelling a lot they may consider not to terminate your visa.

Quote Originally Posted by tasel View Post
    Matti, i think you can talk to your company for not cancelling the visa when you leave Russia. Hence you keep travelling a lot they may consider not to terminate your visa.
    I would simply not mention it to my employer, especially if you are planning to stay for only a few days. Just leave your visa as is; it is not such a big issue.

The employer will probably cancel the visa, unless he makes some arrangement with them not to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    The employer will probably cancel the visa, unless he makes some arrangement with them not to do so.
    Mine didn't. As I said, it's really not such a big deal! The visa has already been paid for, anyway.

Mine didn't either. I had a good relationship with them. I had to give up my work permit, but they didn't cancel the visa.

However, what if the former employer wants replace you? They either have to cancel that visa or get a new quota. Also, they might not want to pay taxes anymore on that position.

Hi everyone,

Cheers
    Why does your contract end before visa and work permit? If you are terminated officailly your employer should initiate cancelling work visa and getting you an exit visa. You don't have grounds to stay in Russia any longer so if you want to come back - you will need new visa. But as far as I know visa cancellation is not strongly re-inforced

Another solution: if you're on good terms with your employer, ask them to cancel your visa once you leave and get you an invitation for a business visa.

To my understanding you avoid the tax issues for your employer like this and you are independent from any quota. From my experience, any OOO can write a business invitation that will be accepted by the Russian consulates.

Quote Originally Posted by ilya25 View Post
    Why does your contract end before visa and work permit? If you are terminated officailly your employer should initiate cancelling work visa and getting you an exit visa. You don't have grounds to stay in Russia any longer so if you want to come back - you will need new visa. But as far as I know visa cancellation is not strongly re-inforced
    I am changing to a different branch outside of Russia - I'm on a local contract in Russia, have an accreditation (ends November 2011) and a work visa. My working contract officially ends end of July, I signed a new local contact at my new destination.

I might ask them, however my colleague who also moved to a different place also keeps using his visa, plus he is also married to a Russian woman. I have a good relationship to my employer's HR officer, so I might just ask them.

Thanks a lot for everyone's advice.

Matt

My employer just confirmed me that I can keep using the visa and that - in case I need to stay longer than 7 working days - they would even do the registration for me.

Good stuff!

Hi everyone,

Cheers
    if you leave more than 3 business day you need to get a new registration,as you exit the country it will be electronically canceled at the point of exit ,but the police do not know... but the price of a registration is small enough NOT to risk a problem.... just pay it
    do you really need any troubles ?

Quote Originally Posted by kapione View Post
    if you leave more than 3 business day you need to get a new registration,as you exit the country it will be electronically canceled at the point of exit ,but the police do not know... but the price of a registration is small enough NOT to risk a problem.... just pay it
    do you really need any troubles ?
    I have no problem in getting a new registration upon return to Russia. I will only come here for the weekends as Friday in / Sunday out. So, in any case, my last registration will be in July and I will not need to be registered anymore at all. This is my understanding and this is what my HR confirmed to me.

Registration costs 200 RUB or so, so if I do need to stay longer than 7 working days, I am more than willing to pay that amount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast