littleangels        English Nanny

View Poll Results: Who are you expat or Russian?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expat

18 62.07%
  • Russian

11 37.93%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you an expat or a Russian?

Are you an expat or a Russian?

Want to know more of our community: the percentage of expats and Russians.

seems like more russians here

Don't you feel disappointed, dear Expats

TjRjn Guest
    No, because it's good to get opinions from many and varied sources.

I am a foreigner but not expat

being 16 years here in Russia,wife/kid/cat/dog/own flat i don't consider myself an expat.and never was.
    i don't (and never had) all these privileges, big flat /house, 10000 $ a month salary,4 flights a year back home, relocating expenses, kids going to expensive 'foreign' school, etc. all these things tha APPARENTLY make an expat an expat?
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    being 16 years here in Russia,wife/kid/cat/dog/own flat i don't consider myself an expat.and never was.
    i don't (and never had) all these privileges, big flat /house, 10000 $ a month salary,4 flights a year back home, relocating expenses, kids going to expensive 'foreign' school, etc. all these things tha APPARENTLY make an expat an expat?
    The word expiate is over rated actually…I have been working most of my life oversea and you are right we do not get this kind of package now days as more and more international company is trying to localize their operation for cost saving and it is much effective with local people securing contract and managing a local operated company.

Generally, most foreigner worker are consider expat depending how you look at it ofcos the senior management people do get a better package, especially American but even that their package is lower compare to before.

What important, at least for me is the opportunity to experience a different culture for free and that is already a motivation.
    Best Regards,
    William 祥兴

Life is Short, be simple and real.........
    能做的都做了,要说得也说了
    只怪缘分不够。。。。。。
    Jom........Teh Tarik....

good question

whom do you prefer to be - expats, locals just originated from other countries. Any other possibilities?

I wanna be the half-blood prince.
    f*ck the Caterpillars.

TjRjn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I've never had all those things but I still consider myself and ex-pat because I haven't lived in my country of birth ane where I grew up for several years. If I'm not an ex-pat what am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Margo View Post
    whom do you prefer to be - expats, locals just originated from other countries. Any other possibilities?
    Interesting question but I dun think anyone can give a logical answer, for me I prefer to be with those I love but then again my profession give me the opportunity to see the world……..so, its all depending on what a person want during that time period.
    Best Regards,
    William 祥兴

能做的都做了,要说得也说了
    只怪缘分不够。。。。。。
    Jom........Teh Tarik....

Quote Originally Posted by TjRjn View Post
    I've never had all those things but I still consider myself and ex-pat because I haven't lived in my country of birth ane where I grew up for several years. If I'm not an ex-pat what am I?
    Expat is only a term created to be differentiated as a higher working class but now days…it is over rated as said. I do use the term as that is a common term use by many but most expat now days do not enjoy those benefits anymore…

And yes…….you can call yourself an expat….
    Best Regards,
    William 祥兴

能做的都做了,要说得也说了
    只怪缘分不够。。。。。。
    Jom........Teh Tarik....

Now I see I should have put this in other words - do you feel yourself expat or Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by Ljubovaina View Post
    Now I see I should have put this in other words - do you feel yourself expat or Russian?
    Hehehe….Cute….

The again, how do you define or claim one self as Local or Expat?

An expat will always an expat as he or she is not a citizen of Russia and A Russian will always be a Russian as long he or she lived and works locally.
    Best Regards,
    William 祥兴

能做的都做了,要说得也说了
    只怪缘分不够。。。。。。
    Jom........Teh Tarik....

TjRjn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TjRjn View Post
    Gee, thanks!

It is interesting to observe - since Peter I's time there was an influx of highly qualified professionals from Europe - mostly from Germany and Holland. Those people served well for Russia some stayed for dozens of years, naturalized...I guess most of them felt themselves Russians in the end

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamFTH View Post
    Expat is only a term created to be differentiated as a higher working class but now days…it is over rated as said. I do use the term as that is a common term use by many but most expat now days do not enjoy those benefits anymore…

And yes…….you can call yourself an expat….
    I totally disagree, I live in Russia and I'm poor with a Russian wife and two children. An expat is a person who lives in another country of which is not of his country of origin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast