littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Any South Africans out there?

Any South Africans out there?

Hi all My Husband and I are relocating to Moscow in March. We are both Young Professionals and would Love to find a Support System before Arrival. I am South African and He is Austrian. Any Social or Other Clubs out there? Ie is there a nice Country Club? I would also appretiere some Advice on what to expect? What is the Lifestyle like? Can you live comfortably on 200,000 monthly russian rubles? What are the People like? Can you survive without speaking Russian? Where can you find Russian tutors? What are good expat areas to live in? Pref Close to City Center and Metro? What would Be a reasonable Price for a two bedroom modern Apartment furnished? What is the biggest culture shock on Arrival? Thanks CK

well, i am not South African but Austrian

and i live 20 years here. so (i also worked in Jo-burg some 12 years, amongst others at the Carlton Hotel, I am a Chef).
    If you have specific questions and don't want to post here, pm me and i will try to answer. it would nice to know WHAT you are going to do here (work) how old your kids are.
    traffic jams in Moscow are HORRIBLE, so definitely it is worth looking for a place to live next to the Metro( the name for our subway system, most efficient). Rent is prohibitive high in the center. expats are being fleeced nicely just because they all want to live right in the center.We live a little bit out of town, STROGINO, in the NW of Moscow, accordingly to surveys the cleanest place in town. that does not mean that air-pollution is making a turn right at Strogino. But a huge park, river and lake to swim or make a BRAII in summer. schooling is a problem here if you want a FOREIGN school, nothing out here in my part of the world. But all shopping, a huge entertainment place, concert hall, all here, more or less walking distance. very good (district) transport, and cheap.2.5 Euro will get you everywhere in our district.
    you stick the finger out, some one will stop. or at every bus stop there are also private cars that take yo u anywhere. AND NOT only old stinky Lada's and Shigulies.
    And now rent.Strogino is EXPENSIVE, you can count 1000 rubels ( 30 Rubles a $ or 40 for an Euro)a m2 and it will be a nice place. Kitchens and sanitary units are working and included, for the rest, if you like the furniture, it is up to you to get a good price. write to me what you want and i will try to find something, or check out the addresses on the site for estate agents.
    Russia is cold, so definitely bring all the warm clothes that you still have.
    Food, well there is nothing that you can not get here. Even 'Ma Mall's Blatjang' and AMARULA!!!!!!!!! My favourite. Also quite good South AFRICAN WINE, BUT I SUPPOSE THIS WILL BE NOT THE FIRST PRIORITY.
    Pin in the 'neck' the registration and things, check out the posts there and you will understand.

How long do you intend to stay here, a temporary re location ( like me, first 6 month only and now it is 20 years) or are you planning to be here longer.
    It will be a change from the land of sunny skies, rugby and chevrolet, but it is definitely worthwhile.
    if you can, and if you have time, get down to the basics of the russian language.
    read also your pm there is a message there.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Hi Carlise and welcome to Moscow!
    Im Muscovite and real estate agent.I know Moscow very well.The price for 2bedroom modern apartment in center starts from 85-90000roubles.If you will
    not want to use the metro or stand in a traffic jam too long it have sence to find an apartment close to your office just to walk there.Please,pm me your office location and I will tell you the prices for the flats at that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Even 'Ma Ball's Blatjang'
    Nou praat jy die waarheid, boet! Blatjang met bobotie.....gevolg met melktert en Van Der Hum. Mmmmm......smaaklik Lekker soos 'n krekker.
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

long time no read....

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    Nou praat jy die waarheid, boet! Blatjang met bobotie.....gevolg met melktert en Van Der Hum. Mmmmm......smaaklik Lekker soos 'n krekker.
    sorry micky i forgot africaans, i still can read though. chutney at Stockmann and Asbuka Vkusa at Lotte Plaza and Amarula at Metro and I think there were a few bottles at Asbuka Vkusa!
    lekker blei!!!!
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....