littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: UK diploma apostile - dealing with UK Consulate in Msk

UK diploma apostile - dealing with UK Consulate in Msk

Guys, your help will be most appreciated!!! I've posted this message in a different thread the day before ( called the British Consulate here in Moscow, and they said they have this new service introduced in 2011. You bring your UK docs to the Consulate (mine is diploma), they make a so called true copy and send it to FCO with diplomatic mail. The legalisation office does the apostile and sends it back to Moscow. Did anyone try this with the British Consulate before?)
    There were no replies, but the matter is that I called to the UK Consulate to check how long this may take ans they say that it may take a week for diplomatic post to travel to UK and a week from UK!!! This is a way too long!!
    Does anyone know how long it really takes?
    Or did anyone have such experience at all?? I carefully studied the forum, didn' find anything about dealing with UK Consulate. I am close to panic, as this means we will be waiting for apostile to arrive for around 3 weeks now(((((.
    Thanks!!

Hi Annabella
    Sorry i can't reply precisely about UK consulate, but generally diplomatic mail takes ages; normally they wouldn't send just your diploma - but would wait for a nice pile of documents to be sent together; traditionally, diplomatic mail is accompanied by a person (a younger diplomat or a stuffer) so that would add more time... You shouldn't be worrying, because there is no way for your documents to be lost this way - unless you have some deadline, but than again i don't think you can do much to speed it up.
    The thing is - they told you the mail itself takes two weeks, but how long does the paperwork take in UK?
    I am sure your diploma is not coming back with the first "return tour", i am sure it will take them at least a week or so to get the apostile and than your docs will wait for another pile to be formed back in UK and mailed back to your Consulate in Russia.
    I think there is no reason to worry - but you can always call your Consular department ( ask for deputy Consul or some other lower rank, knowing names is helpful, but they aren't indicated at the official website - maybe you can check that on the website of UK Ministry of Foreign) and check what's going on.
    http://ukinrussia.fco.gov.uk/en/abou...ssy/contact-us
    "If you knew who walked beside you, you'd never known fear."

I sympathise with you, the long haul of red tape. I am certaian the British consulate will provide you with an efficient service, But FCO!!!! They do not have a reputation for efficiency. Why!! They don't know what e-mail, telephone or post means, unless it suits them. The prefer the blah! Blah! contact stuff if you know what I mean. It can be very slow with FCO , and they like you to waste your time travelling backwards and forth, or that is what I have experienced with them in the O Blast of Moscow.

thanks for support)). anyway, situation is unfavourable(((
    The FCO site says postal applications are processed within 48 hrs, but yes, seems like they are very similar to Russian bureaucrats, and I am not sure if I can trust these timelines((.
    The other thing with FCO is that it is not clear if they consider a "true copy" of the document, certified by the UK Consulate here in Moscow as equal to a notarized by a UK attorney. If not, than I should compeletely forget about this postal application option with FCO. I sent an email request, guess it may take ages for reply to come.
    I know I can trust the Consulate, and my docs won't get lost. But this service is new to them, too, and they can hardly advise me on the outcome((.

btw, tried to contact FCO Legalization dpt by phone - no use!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnabellaM View Post
    The other thing with FCO is that it is not clear if they consider a "true copy" of the document, certified by the UK Consulate here in Moscow as equal to a notarized by a UK attorney.
    They should! Just in case - because its a new service and yours will be probably among the first they get - make the guys in the consulate write a brief accompanying letter stating that this "true copy" is a legal equivalent of notarization by UK attorney (it needn't be longer than couple of sentences); than, just to be on a safe side, get this accompanying letter from the Consulate translated into Russian by a Court interpreter , maybe it will cost you a bit more, but "armed" like that they simply must accept it otherwise they are messing not with you - but with your Embassy and they won't do that.
    "If you knew who walked beside you, you'd never known fear."

Thanks Ruth! Tomorrow we are going to the Consulate, and I plan to have 3 true copies just in case I'll decide to go with the FCO option, too.
    Will keep you posted!

My apostile application has now been forwared to FCO, and I expect to recieve an update from them next week.
    Meanwhile I've checked the Legalisation Office web page and here what it says:
    From the 1st of April 2011 the Public Counter at the Legalisation Office in Milton Keynes will be closed. For straight forward applications relating to legalisation in the UK we will offer a 100% postal service for all customers with a 24 hours turnaround (excluding postal times). We will be introducing a new application form to accompany the documents you send to us by post for legalisation.

Perhaps this information will be useful to someone.
    Here is a link.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/wh...-are-Changing/

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth123 View Post
    blah blah blah
    Exactly, what Ruth123 said is 100% correct. Diplomatic mail takes ages because it's always accompanied by an actual person from the embassy in order not to have a breach of privacy. In fact, diplomatic mail isn't even sent through the baggage scanner at the airport. No embassy of any country is going to assign a person to deliver your envelope back home.

this is just a rip off...

if you have the ORIGINAL document in your hands here in Moscow, you can do the Apostille here. ( birth certificate,passport and the like).The document will be translated into russian language and an Apostille affixed that says, the attorney/lawyer has seen the ORIGINAL document and is satisfied with it. And no consulate is doing anything, or is even allowed to affix an Apostille neither is any other agency if they are not in possession of the ORIGINAL document, NOT a copy. Not even a good color copy.

If it is a police reference or anything else that is being issued 'new', it must have an Apostille already on, before it is being handed over to you. The Apostille tells the Russian lawyer that it is a genuine document, he will translate it and put his stamp on.
    In my case it worked like that with the police reference from Austria. Did it via the consulate, took them a week,Austrians are efficient...And I said 'please' it always helped.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Benedikt, I cannot obtain apostile of any document issued abroad. Apostiles can only be obtained in the country of the document's origin. Some countries (most of CIS) have aggreements with RU, which simplifies the process, but most countries don't. This you have to obtain apostile in the country where the document was issued. The Hague convention states this clearly.

I got my diploma verified by a solicitor in England and used the FCO legalization service. If I recall, it was pretty quick and fairly efficient. If you need it quickly, perhaps you can use the Moscow 'true copy' service but then FedEx it yourself to the FCO and have the FCO mail it to a friend or relative in UK. They can then FedEx it to you in Moscow. Would this work? As an alternative, maybe you can find an English lawyer/solicitor in Moscow to verify it as a true copy. I guess this is the same thing as the British Embassy method. FedEx is expensive but faster. Good luck.
    'Nothing, like something, happens anywhere.'

tomasmartini12 Guest
    Not sure where to ask this question, as I've been getting two different answers.

If I want to teach in Russia, I'm an American, do I need to get a fbi background check apostille for russia and the degree apostille for russia? Or do I just need the degree apostille?

Someone on the forum said I need both and someone else said I need just the degree apostille. Other countries require both. I know for the FBI check, it takes like 5-12 weeks to get. The apostille I get fast if I need to meet deadline. We had just used an apostille service provider; got certify translation and apostille for my mom's birth certificate. They can get the apostille in one day - apostillepros.

Just wanted to ask the forum before I check with a recruiter or employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Voot View Post
    I got my diploma verified by a solicitor in England and used the FCO legalization service. If I recall, it was pretty quick and fairly efficient. If you need it quickly, perhaps you can use the Moscow 'true copy' service but then FedEx it yourself to the FCO and have the FCO mail it to a friend or relative in UK. They can then FedEx it to you in Moscow. Would this work? As an alternative, maybe you can find an English lawyer/solicitor in Moscow to verify it as a true copy. I guess this is the same thing as the British Embassy method. FedEx is expensive but faster. Good luck.