I have been living on work permit documents for a good few years, extending my visa in line with them every year (have the corresponding stamps in my passport from OVIR). My current registration ends next month and I want to leave Russia at that time (but return later, without any black marks against my name). Do I have to go to OVIR and get a special exit visa? Or can I just leave on the ME visa I am always given at the same time as I extend my work permit documents every year (and the registration automatically "dies out" on the last day written in the passport stamp)?

I cannot get near OVIR for advice, as they have lumped it together with the migration service and you have to write your name on a list. My registration began a good few years ago, long before registering through the post office or anything like that.