littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Currency Exchange

Currency Exchange

When I arrive in Moscow I have some fees owed for rent and such. As such I need to bring a reasonable amount of cash with me. I was about to order a lot of roubles and some GBP for my layover-quick-tour of London. But I did a quick Google conversion and see that my bank is using a horrible rate, it is going to cost me about $150-$200 more than the conversion rate Google (and other sites) are reporting.

But, there is no transfer fee. If I exchange at the airport, I assume I will get the better rates, but is there a limit on how much I can exchange, and are there fees? Heathrow has a converter, and they seem to be using the better rates, but, they mention fees are a downside to exchanging at airports- but they do not mention their fees.

I think 250USD in GBP might be a lot for 14 hours- but I have a short amount of time to see the city, and do not want to get stuck trying to figure out how to pay for an expensive cab ride tour or something .

Thanks, I have only flown international once, and that was just tourist dollars nothing this significant- so this is new territory.
    - James / Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by JVRR View Post
    When I arrive in Moscow I have some fees owed for rent and such. As such I need to bring a reasonable amount of cash with me. I was about to order a lot of roubles and some GBP for my layover-quick-tour of London. But I did a quick Google conversion and see that my bank is using a horrible rate, it is going to cost me about $150-$200 more than the conversion rate Google (and other sites) are reporting.

But, there is no transfer fee. If I exchange at the airport, I assume I will get the better rates, but is there a limit on how much I can exchange, and are there fees? Heathrow has a converter, and they seem to be using the better rates, but, they mention fees are a downside to exchanging at airports- but they do not mention their fees.

I think 250USD in GBP might be a lot for 14 hours- but I have a short amount of time to see the city, and do not want to get stuck trying to figure out how to pay for an expensive cab ride tour or something .

Thanks, I have only flown international once, and that was just tourist dollars nothing this significant- so this is new territory.
    If you have no rubles, change a little at a Moscow airport for taxi or food. The rates in Russia, esp. city centres, are better and there are numerous locations. Also 250GBP is not much and there are no fees, in general.

Good advice!

You will land in Domodedovo or Sheremetievo.

In case your arrival is not too late at night, there are two affordable trains (40 minutes to Moscow), which come to the metro station (Domodedovo to M. Paveletskaya; from Sheremetyevo to M. Savelovskaya or M. Belorusskaya).

Cost per ticket is around 10 USD.

Taxi can cost from 70 USD up to .... to come to Moscow (they are alike Gypsi taxi, to my mind and I never use taxi from airport, because they are robbers, bandits and so on (I mean, their prices are unreasonable).

You can exchange any ammount of money, that is there is no limit (in airports rates are a bit higher than in the city).

Metro will cost you around 1 USD/trip (no matter how many stops you are going).

It is better to buy a ticket for 10 trips (around 10 USD).

Well, may be you will need some cash for the night and the next day:

meal is around 50 USD (average bill in the majority of affordable cafes)+ for this or that.

So if you change 100 USD in the airport it will be more or less enough for the first day or night.
    not only s.t happens!

More than that.

I am supposed to be paying for over a month's rent, plus some fees I incurred for visa support. I just emailed the school and said I do not really want to take that much cash with me, so assuming that works out okay I will not have quite that much... but I am talking over $1,000USD.

They pick me up at the airport and receive payment so I will not be walking around with it (or need to find a taxi or such).

I basically just need enough to pay these fees, and then some extra for food and anything that pops up I need urgently, then I can work out how to handle money.
    - James / Vladimir

in Domededovo airport there is a nice big red sign that says something like "dont trust the taxi drivers"
    there should be another one that warns about theses bandits changing money. They will alwas give you a lousy rate. Get the money out of the ATM machine...

More than that.

I am supposed to be paying for over a month's rent, plus some fees I incurred for visa support. I just emailed the school and said I do not really want to take that much cash with me, so assuming that works out okay I will not have quite that much... but I am talking over $1,000USD.

They pick me up at the airport and receive payment so I will not be walking around with it (or need to find a taxi or such).

I basically just need enough to pay these fees, and then some extra for food and anything that pops up I need urgently, then I can work out how to handle money.
    Taking money out of an ATM here will most likely be better than changing money abroad. BTW, you can bring $3000 undeclared.

ATM will have a limit on how much I can draw, it would probably take two weeks for me to get the money I need lol!

I was just going to do the exchange at Heathrow, they will hopefully speak english there, which always makes things easier .

My concern is, are they going to have a limit on what I can exchange, and are there fees? My bank uses some horrible rate that screws me, but if I am going to pay some horrible fee that screws me... makes no difference .

Thanks!
    - James / Vladimir

I was just going to do the exchange at Heathrow, they will hopefully speak english there, which always makes things easier .
    Do they speak English there?
    not only s.t happens!

When do you arrive?

Do you have any other acquaintances here in Moscow besides the agency and the school?

Has the school already found the flat for you?
    not only s.t happens!

ATM will have a limit on how much I can draw, it would probably take two weeks for me to get the money I need lol!

My concern is, are they going to have a limit on what I can exchange, and are there fees? My bank uses some horrible rate that screws me, but if I am going to pay some horrible fee that screws me... makes no difference .

Thanks!
    You have a lot of doubts, young James. I was in Heathrow recently and the exchange rate is terrible. 53 rubles (plus fee) compared to 50 rub in Moscow. You will lose thousands of rubles but the choice is yours. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post
    When do you arrive?
    Next Monday!

Do you have any other acquaintances here in Moscow besides the agency and the school?
    Not really.

Has the school already found the flat for you?
    Yes, they set it up.
    - James / Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    You have a lot of doubts, young James. I was in Heathrow recently and the exchange rate is terrible. 53 rubles (plus fee) compared to 50 rub in Moscow. You will lose thousands of rubles but the choice is yours. Good luck!
    The Heathrow website, which uses some service, converts 1USD to 30ru, compared to 27ru at my bank.
    - James / Vladimir

The Heathrow website, which uses some service, converts 1USD to 30ru, compared to 27ru at my bank.
    in Russia it is 30,35 rur for 1 USD today ??????
    not only s.t happens!

in Russia it is 30,35 rur for 1 USD today ??????
    Statement, or question ?

Are you shocked by that conversion, or are you saying that is accurate even in Moscow?
    - James / Vladimir

Statement, or question ?

Are you shocked by that conversion, or are you saying that is accurate even in Moscow?
    Neither ...nor

I guess, that there is a mistale somewhere, but in Russia the rate is 30.35 rur.
    not only s.t happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast