littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Decision Time

Gypsy is offline All sixes and sevens and nines

World Cup Decision Time

So who will get the nod? Who will? Who should?
    Don't you know this deuce is still wild.

England should since it's been a while. Spain and Portugal will probably win. Russia has the Olympics and maybe they'll use that as a test before they award it here.

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    England should since it's been a while.
    What difference does this make? Would it be good for England?
    Spain and Portugal will probably win. Russia has the Olympics and maybe they'll use that as a test before they award it here.
    It is only Winter Olympics and even then not much of a comparison to a World Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    England should since it's been a while. Spain and Portugal will probably win. Russia has the Olympics and maybe they'll use that as a test before they award it here.
    the chances of their being a Spain and Portugal in any shape or form other than an administrative district of the fourth Reich, under severe fiscal control, by the time the world cup comes along are a bit remote, I think - certainly I would imagine that massive capital investment in sports and entertainment infrastructure will go down like a whole basket load of lead balloons with the Iberian public any time soon.

I think it's between the UK,(not England 'cos they need the millenium) - in a cheap and cheerful no new kit M4/M5/M1 London/Manchester centric bid in favourite position -( Millenium / Wembley / Emirates / Stamford Bridge /Twickenham / Eastlands / Old trafford / Villa Park) - With Russia picking up the French and Francophone votes & Eastern Europe and anybody that Cameron manages to piss off between now and the voting as second favourite.

Matt
    The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    What difference does this make? Would it be good for England? It is only Winter Olympics and even then not much of a comparison to a World Cup.
    I think it would be good for England, as the country has the infrastructure in place already without much additional cost and the national team does much better on home soil. Ease of travel too for other nations, as the UK is an international hub.

Spain had the World Cup in 82 and Portugal had the Euros recently. Fifa's view of Russia might be it's more about putting on an international event, nothing to do with the season of the year.

Matt, you're right about the economic climate but they might see it as a chance to boost the economy. Like a public works project. WC's are more profitable than the Olympics as there is less infrastructure needed. Also probably more popular than the Olympics.

2018 is a run between English tradition and Russian money + new market share.

I hope England takes it, although a Russia win would give me another 4 years of post-Sochi hotel construction business.

Nailed my colours to the mast here: http://themoscownews.com/blogssport/

But I'll confess that this http://themoscownews.com/sports/20101201/188244764.html is making me less sure of Russia's chances.

Looking forward to following it all tomorrow - join me at themoscownews.com when things start happening!

It has long been assumed that the Russian prime minister, who has hosted the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, and several committee members in Moscow, would travel to Zurich only if he was fairly certain they would win. His name was not believed to be on the list of delegates circulated by Fifa but the possibility remains that the Russians are planning for him to make a dramatic late appearance. Russia's 2018 chairman, Vitaly Mutko, who is also the country's sports minister, said Putin would clarify his intentions tomorrow.
    He still could go. A late appearance would be dramatic. And maybe they just didn't put his name down for security reasons?

England for sure. Blatter doesn't like dual bids apparently.
    CNN were debating this and Russia were reported to have said they have great hotels in all major cities these days!
    Anyway, i think England are a cert.

............and who to be given the 2022 World Cup tomorrow?

Japan
    Australia
    Qatar
    USA

Should go to Qatar. It's never been in a mid eastern country but the heat is a problem. They definatelyt have full government, population and financial support.
    Will be interesting to see which way it goes.

I'd hate it to go to England or Russia. Both countries have much better things to spend their money on than vanity projects for politicians. England would be better off spending the money on coaches for kids - invest in winning the bl00dy thing not hosting it.

The sight of Cameron and Prince William debasing themselves - and by extension, Us - crawling to Blatter is a vile disgrace. How dare they criticise Panorama for doing their job and highlighting the fraud within FIFA.

Give it to Qatar on a permanent basis.

Putin's pretty pi55ed, isn't he? Not even attending the FIFA decision..

pjw is offline Инопланетный гость

It seems to me ours have got this cake/headache...

Quote Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
    It seems to me ours have got this cake/headache...
    I would say, headache!

The only hope, I have now, they will conduct these games in Kazan, S.Pete and somewhere else, not in Moscow!

Who needs it here?
    not only s.t happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast