littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Cost of living in Uzbekistan, Ukraine & Russia

Cost of living in Uzbekistan, Ukraine & Russia

Is anyone able to compare the cost of living of Uzbekistan, Ukraine and Russia? I've heard that Uzbekistan is the cheapest, then Ukraine, then Russia (not just the big cities).

Uzbekistan is cheaper then Russia

Russia is a big country, and Moscow as they say is a different country.

I lived in Kiev and would generally say it is cheaper than Moscow but you can also find things on a par-restaurants for example.

Quote Originally Posted by hennessy View Post
    Uzbekistan is cheaper then Russia
    Hi,
    Did you stay in Uzbekistan for long? How much does it cost to rent an apartment there normally?

Within Uzbekistan there are enormous regional variances too. Tashkent is around three times the price of other cities. But you need to bear in mind that the standard of living in a provicincial town in Uzbekistan can't be compared with a provincial town in Russia. That would be a very unrealistic comparison.

Uzbekistan is waaaaay cheaper than Russia. I don't know about flat prices, but to give you an idea:

Metro/bus ticket:
    Moscow - about 1 dollar; Tashkent - 25 cents

Taxi ride from the aiport:
    Moscow - about 50 dollars; Tashkent - 4 dollars

Of course, accommodation, food and drink are much cheaper in Uzbekistan, too. I was there for a few weeks for a work trip and, in contrast to Moscow, you can do so much more for much less money. And the hospitality and service are much better. Though Moscow probably has more to offer in terms of activities.

Are you planning to go and visit/ live in one of these countries?

I have some collegues from Samarkand. I could ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyGreatConcerts View Post
    Within Uzbekistan there are enormous regional variances too. Tashkent is around three times the price of other cities. But you need to bear in mind that the standard of living in a provicincial town in Uzbekistan can't be compared with a provincial town in Russia. That would be a very unrealistic comparison.
    If I went to Uzbekistan I would probably stick to Tashkent. I actually don't know much about the other cities. I gather that you mean it would be an unrealistic comparison because life in a provincial town in Uzbekistan would be much cheaper than a provincial town in Russia? Or did you mean something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhubard Geoff View Post
    Russia is a big country, and Moscow as they say is a different country.

I lived in Kiev and would generally say it is cheaper than Moscow but you can also find things on a par-restaurants for example.
    I think almost every city is cheaper than Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Julia1 View Post
    Uzbekistan is waaaaay cheaper than Russia. I don't know about flat prices, but to give you an idea:

Metro/bus ticket:
    Moscow - about 1 dollar; Tashkent - 25 cents

Taxi ride from the aiport:
    Moscow - about 50 dollars; Tashkent - 4 dollars

Of course, accommodation, food and drink are much cheaper in Uzbekistan, too. I was there for a few weeks for a work trip and, in contrast to Moscow, you can do so much more for much less money. And the hospitality and service are much better. Though Moscow probably has more to offer in terms of activities.

Are you planning to go and visit/ live in one of these countries?
    I will finishing working in South Korea in February and I have to complete my Masters in Applied Linguistics (part-time) by distance education from March-June. So from March-June I would prefer to work part-time. That's why I'm thinking I would probably spend too much money if I stayed in Moscow. That's why I was thinking of spending some time in a cheaper Russian speaking city and just working part-time teaching English.