littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 'disappearing' Buckwheat story

The 'disappearing' Buckwheat story

..I am not trying to make this into something. After all we still remember the 'no salt' story a short 2 or 3 years back.
    But there is no buckwheat (Гречка) the most basic russia n staple at AUSHAN,BILLA,ALIYA PARUSA and nothing at the little neighbor hood stores. Last nights news said that a ton of the stuff has already increased 4 fold at the wholesalers and they are holding back to do some nice price gouging. And using the draught and forest fires as an excuse for it. In THIS case i would have nothing against it that the anti Monopoly commission starts working and sends a few guys to Siberia for a stint in Potato peeling. After all, this is a food staple used by everybody and most of it by the not so affluent people and special pensioners. The story goes it will be double the price from 30 rubles a kilo to about 60 or more.
    And no one must tell me about the free market and the kind of crap.My mother in law has a pension of 200 $.
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

I'm using the wheat shortage as a vehicle to aid me in staying as lean as possible. I already stay away from bread as much as possible, which in Russia with its delicious varieties, is next to impossible...
    A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine

The situation of "no buckwheat" suits me perfectly - I hate it!! It's like boiled lumps of soil.

But there is plenty of this awful stuff left in my local shops today.

This was in the Moscow Times this morning. It said that this was the second straight year of poor harvests for grechka.
    ◀► ◢◤

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    ..I am not trying to make this into something. After all we still remember the 'no salt' story a short 2 or 3 years back.
    But there is no buckwheat (Гречка) the most basic russia n staple at AUSHAN,BILLA,ALIYA PARUSA and nothing at the little neighbor hood stores. Last nights news said that a ton of the stuff has already increased 4 fold at the wholesalers and they are holding back to do some nice price gouging. And using the draught and forest fires as an excuse for it. In THIS case i would have nothing against it that the anti Monopoly commission starts working and sends a few guys to Siberia for a stint in Potato peeling. After all, this is a food staple used by everybody and most of it by the not so affluent people and special pensioners. The story goes it will be double the price from 30 rubles a kilo to about 60 or more.
    And no one must tell me about the free market and the kind of crap.My mother in law has a pension of 200 $.

Now I know why the mother in law bought four packs of the stuff last week.

"grechka" - even the name has "rech" in the middle of it

Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    ..Last nights news said that a ton of the stuff has already increased 4 fold at the wholesalers and they are holding back to do some nice price gouging. And using the draught and forest fires as an excuse for it. In THIS case i would have nothing against it that the anti Monopoly commission starts working and sends a few guys to Siberia for a stint in Potato peeling.
    I had an export contract for lumber on which my supplier renegged, citing forest fires. Would have been ok, force majeure and all......., only, he's located in Arkhangelsk oblast! When I asked him when was the last time they had a forest fire near Arkhangelsk, he shrugged his shoulders and said: "doesn't matter, don't you watch the news, the whole country's on fire." Monopoly commission can't do crap! These vulchures will use any excuse to raise prices. Can't blame them either. I would do the same.

Got a bag of it in the kitchen cupboard. I hate the stuff. Sadly wife and mother in law like it (or do they just tolerate it?)

Anyway a shortage of this shit can only be a good thing. Went out tonight with wife to seek some of it and even here at the Long Ponds there is none to be found anywhere

It seems to me, I have missed the news.....

I eat it two times per week at least, due to I am on a diet all the time, and grechka helps me to fell great, but not to gain additional weight, though I can not say I like eating it....

Oh, but I have bought it today without any problems in ALMI, though must say that the usual price was 40 rur, now it is 50 rur.

I guess, there will be shortage of grechka, because suppliers would think about market prices and try to increase prices.
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post
    It seems to me, I have missed the news.....

I eat it two times per week at least, due to I am on a diet all the time, and grechka helps me to fell great, but not to gain additional weight, though I can not say I like eating it....

Oh, but I have bought it today without any problems in ALMI, though must say that the usual price was 40 rur, now it is 50 rur.

I guess, there will be shortage of grechka, because suppliers would think about market prices and try to increase prices.
    I can sell you my bag if you like.... just don't tell my wife

Quote Originally Posted by Dolgoprudny Neil View Post
    I can sell you my bag if you like.... just don't tell my wife
    Thanks!

I have got one bag for this month....
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Dolgoprudny Neil View Post
    Got a bag of it in the kitchen cupboard. I hate the stuff. Sadly wife and mother in law like it (or do they just tolerate it?)

Anyway a shortage of this shit can only be a good thing. Went out tonight with wife to seek some of it and even here at the Long Ponds there is none to be found anywhere

I must becoming Russian.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I must becoming Russian.

I like it.
    If being Russian involves enjoying eating something with all the taste of 10 year old mouldy cardboard then indeed you must be a fully fledged Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I must becoming Russian.

I like it.
    Good for you (Google translation):

Buckwheat contains:

* 13-15% protein;
    * 2,5 -3% fat;
    * 2,0-2,5% sugar and 70% starch;
    * 1,1-1,3 fiber;
    * 2,0-2,2% ash elements.

Calories 100 g buckwheat - 335 kcal.

Buckwheat contains less carbohydrate than other cereals. In this case it is a valuable dietary protein products with high content of amino acids. And most importantly, buckwheat - a rich source of iron. Buckwheat contains large amounts of vitamins and trace elements. Vitamins are contained in buckwheat: B1, B2, B6, PP, P, rutin (a substance having vitamin activity). Chemical substances contained in buckwheat: calcium, phosphorus, iodine, iron salts, oxalic acid. Buckwheat - a complex carbohydrate, which has long been assimilated by the body, giving a long-term saturation.

Preparations from flowers and leaves of buckwheat reduce fragility and permeability of blood vessels, speed the healing of wounds, a beneficial effect in diseases of the upper respiratory tract, scarlet fever, measles, radiation sickness. Such diverse actions buckwheat scientists explain not only the rich chemical composition but great content in leaves and flowers routine, having the R-action to vitamins.
    not only s.t happens!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast