littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Vobla

Vobla

Anyone know how to make this, ideally looking for something a bit more precise than dip in salt and hang out to dry (e.g. how much salt, how long to dry, etc)

Cheers

You cut the stumack & the other stuff out. For a 8-inch fish u take 1 tablespoon of salt, ideally if u rib the salt in the fish from both sides & inside. Better not place the salted fish into the open sun - a shady opened terrace would do. The vobla is ready when you bend it it cracks (you can hear it).
    Vlad Repko

use imagination...

unfortunately most home made vobla has NOT taken the intestines out, and in my opinion that affects the taste.

so first, always clean the fish and DESCALE IT.When it is dry and you want to eat it the bloody scales are flying all over the place, this is one reason why i HAAAAATTE vobla and make it myself.

THIS is also a gadget that you can use if you have access to it. check out also the recipes, goes well with fish also
    (http://www.biltongmakers.com/biltong...cky5kg_01.html)

1. SALT -VINEGAR - GARLIC mariande.
    100 ml for one fish.Good 8% apple vinegar, hengstenberg and the like, salt, fresh garlic. make it like a salad dressing, soak the fish for at least 48 h, hang out in a dry well ventilated place, let it hang there for a week to 10 days, is no air movement, buy a small little fan and put it there. and old cupboard will do fine, cut out a few holes, cover with gauze or marley so nothing that flies will get into contact with your fish.

2.BBQ marinade (and salt of course) any good commercial bbq sauce will do, again, make it thin like salad dressing, soak your fish and let it dry.

3.CIDER, alcohol after all is next best thing after salt and vinegar

have fun...
    There is no greater treasure then pleasure....

Benedikt and Mers, thanks for the info!

Benedikt, I like the sound of the Salt-Vinegar-Garlic combo, please could you give me some more details:

You say 100ml per fish, what size fish are we talking, I'm thinking normal roach, bream, or perch about the size of your palm? Is this the correct measurement for a fish of this size?

Is 100ml, just 100% vinegar?

Re the cider recipe, do you just mean normal cider (in England cider is generally fizzy is this ok?)? Then same measurements 100ml of cider per fish?

Thanks both of you again,

Adam

i think to much Chef...

100 ml marinade is for a fish the size or weight of 500 gr.

cider: it does not matter if it is fizzy or not, the main
    thing is the flavor,

Thanks, and one final question, how much salt do you use? Any specific amount or just "to taste"?

Regards

Adam

not to salty...

1 teaspoon per 1 recipe marinade,by the way best is the cheapest russian salt, in the white thin cartons, the not refined 'cooks salt.' does not contain any chlorine from bleaching but still bits and pieces of minerals and stuff, not much of course, but it does not do any harm, to the contrary.

Spassebo