littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: The biggest problems facing Russia

Gypsy is offline All sixes and sevens and nines

The biggest problems facing Russia

What do you think are the biggest problems facing Russia which are preventing progress being made?

For my two penny worth I would say the biggest threats are corruption and bureaucracy.

Without tackling corruption and bureaucracy, no innovative economy can appear.
    Don't you know this deuce is still wild.

biggest problems facing Russia? probably Russian people themselves

The way I see it the government are a bunch of useless bastards that don't give a care for Russians. They are all talk and no action. When they do try to offer its people assistance in some way, they do it far below their means and never absolutely. They give the impression that they care, but always fall short of proper success. They have their priorities wrong in that they are too fixated with making money, and for what end? They never put enough of it back into the people.

The state is like a parent and the state's population like it's children, however infinately dependent. The state must be a good parent and if it isn't, it will be judged by other parents or states of other countries as neglectful and just an overall bad parent.

Yes, the children (population) of the state have a responsiblity to make a stand and represent themselves as a collective and as indivduals, however the Russian state make it challenging to do so. A most recent example of this is Article 31. Moreover, the state needs to lead by example and take control, but in a way that leads to prosperity and lawfulness for the people as a whole first and foremost.Russia needs some really strict measures to attain a shift in mentality and a increase in social trust. How can people trust each other when the state cannot be trusted themselves? This won't be easy, but I see it as a moral obligation of the state to help achieve this. It is then, that a lot of the stubborness and apathy of the people here will disapate and progress can begin.
    Last edited by trancophile; 02-08-2010 at 12:16.
    Riding the reef break that is Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    How so? In what way are they the problem?

My take on it is that it is related to Orthodoxy, and although I haven't really looked into it, Latin American Catholic countries also seem to fit this bill.

It seems that in Orthodoxy, and Catholicism, unlike Protestants, people should pray to Saints, and pay them tribute in or form or another, which in turn are able to work on your behalf with God.

In this context, it only makes sense that you would apply this to real life, and pay money or tribute to people that can help "solve" your problem, without directly going to the person in charge.

Also, in Orthodoxy, we can see that "suffering" is a part of life, and that nothing is easy, and the "suffering" (always without complaining) is to be rewarded in the Afterlife. This is slightly different than in Catholicism, as Catholics usually have pews to sit on.

One time, a group of Russians were having a discussion on animals/pets.

The topics were - de-clawing and neutering or spaying.

80% of the group took the position that it was not only inhumane to de-claw a cat, but that God had made the cat that way, and who were we to take away what God had given them. Also, the same idea with reproductive rights for cats/dogs. Why should we not only pay money to deny them this "right" but, again, who were we to play God?

I was blown away, since my position was - but - you don't want your cat to have kittens, do you? And why would you want your nice couch or curtains ruined? (since you don't allow your cat to go outside anyways)

Etc, etc....

Not to say that Orthodoxy is bad. Or Catholicism. These were just my observations.
    ◀► ◢◤

xSnoofovich:

I've noticed this. I think that what you have mentioned can help to explain the Russian mentality and help to overcome what I perceive this to be, a real barrier to progress.
    Riding the reef break that is Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    How so? In what way are they the problem?
    I think that whatever happens in any country depends only on people who live in the country... not it's geographical location, natural resources, climate and etc, only people matter

and if Russia constantly faces problems, there has to be something really wrong with us, with our culture, mentality

I guess there are a lot of good people (who probably want to leave the country), but if you take the whole population in general - there's really something wrong out here

and there's actually a saying that no foreign enemy has ever done more harm to Russia than Russians themselves

depends only on people who live in the country...
    The fruit of the ideology is reflected in society.
    ◀► ◢◤

Voodoo is offline Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I have to agree that the problem starts with the narod (the people) themselves. Why is their so much corruption? Why don't the powers that be give a rat's @rse about their own people? Why does ZAO Kremlin enrich itself at the expense of all others? Why is there less and less democracy with each passing year? Because the narod lets them get away with it. Trancophile and xSnoofovich are absolutely correct.

Fundamentally ZAO Kremlin is behaving rationally and predictably. They are looking out for their own interests (along with the other 1 million civil disservants in this great country) and will logically do this to the extent that the narod will legally let them get away with it. Why would they act any different?

If am a GIAshnik on a small salary and could legally get away with shaking down motorists, and in fact am encouraged to do so by my colleagues, why would I do anything different and jeapordise my family's well being?

And this very nicely feeds into the question of who is Enemy No.1 for ZAO Kremlin. Not the Americans, or the Europeans, or even Martians. No, its the people themselves. So lets curtail democracy, lets ensure that courts don't work, control the media, ban any sort of 'protests'. What? They are protesting those thing called the internet? Well, lets control that too (current draft law on controlling ISPs and the Russian internet).

speaking about religion... I'm not a religious person, although I was baptized in childhood... and my brother also baptized his kids few years ago, so I was invited to go to church with them... and after hearing the pope I decided not to wear cross anymore

I really hate what happens now, when the church gets more and more our life

and hundred years ago, during revolutions and civil war, there must have been serious reasons for people to burn down churches...

so orthodox church can be considered as one of the problems that Russia faces I think...

What do you think are the biggest problems facing Russia which are preventing progress being made?

For my two penny worth I would say the biggest threats are corruption and bureaucracy.

Without tackling corruption and bureaucracy, no innovative economy can appear.
    They are the biggest problems preventing Russia from cloning an economy like the one - for example - in which Bear Stears and Lehmann Brothers turned out to have created billions of dollars in entirely fictional money.

so orthodox church can be considered as one of the problems that Russia faces I think...
    There are more religions than Orthodoxy in Russia though. So, I wouldn't say that that is just the main problem.

Probably, another major problem was that for 40-50-100 years, all of the inventative, entrepreneurial, reformers, or overly loud vocal people were either expatriated, shipped off to gulags, deported, shot, or killed in war.

Surely that also has to have a major impact on society.
    ◀► ◢◤

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyGreatConcerts View Post
    They are the biggest problems preventing Russia from cloning an economy like the one - for example - in which Bear Stears and Lehmann Brothers turned out to have created billions of dollars in entirely fictional money.
    You think it is corruption and bureaucracy that are preventing that? How? It is a genuine question btw - I'm interested in how they could prevent a financial bubble like that.

Hilarious! Indeed, no people, no problem!

You think it is corruption and bureaucracy that are preventing that? How? It is a genuine question btw - I'm interested in how they could prevent a financial bubble like that.
    All I heard him say was - Buzzword, buzzword, buzzword, buzzword.
    ◀► ◢◤

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast