littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Size Me - DVD pick of the Week

Super Size Me - DVD pick of the Week

Well, it ain't exactly 'just out' but I'd like to recommend a documentary flick I watched this week called 'Super Size Me' (or Dvoinaya Portsiya in Russian).

If you like McDonalds, you need to see this. Basic plot is a guy who decides to study the effects of fast food in the wake of recent court cases suing McDonalds for causing obesity. He eats nothing but McD's for a whole month and monitors his results while interspersing bits about marketing, corporate responsibility, and American obesity.

The results of his admittedly biased 'research' are nevertheless pretty astounding.

If you see it, get it. It's entertaining and informative.

Do you have a copy with English?
    Can I borrow it?
    I'm beyond your peripheral vision,
    so you might want to turn your head,
    'cause someday you're going to get hungry
    and eat most of the words you just said.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyavshik
    Well, it ain't exactly 'just out' but I'd like to recommend a documentary flick I watched this week called 'Super Size Me' (or Dvoinaya Portsiya in Russian).

If you like McDonalds, you need to see this. Basic plot is a guy who decides to study the effects of fast food in the wake of recent court cases suing McDonalds for causing obesity. He eats nothing but McD's for a whole month and monitors his results while interspersing bits about marketing, corporate responsibility, and American obesity.

The results of his admittedly biased 'research' are nevertheless pretty astounding.

If you see it, get it. It's entertaining and informative.
    First Donnie Darko, then this....Hal have you now seen any new movies lately? and by new i mean release date??? (just kidding)

Yep...this film put me even further off McDonalds than I was...U wanna know why people all over the world are getting fat, not just us Americans, here is your answer...
    Of all the millions of sperm you had to be the one.

Plast, Baby, I call 'em as I get 'em from the DVD kiosk near my house. My understanding is that they're "new" there. I wanted to avoid recommending the new-release pirate screen copies that everyone else had already reviewed/seen/purchased.

I actually went to McD's last week and still enjoyed my processed chicken nuggets and cholesterol-laden fries. Yummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Halyavshik
    Plast, Baby, I call 'em as I get 'em from the DVD kiosk near my house. My understanding is that they're "new" there. I wanted to avoid recommending the new-release pirate screen copies that everyone else had already reviewed/seen/purchased.

I actually went to McD's last week and still enjoyed my processed chicken nuggets and cholesterol-laden fries. Yummy.

didn't you see how they make the nuggets and what parts of the chicken they use????? fries are a different story...
    PATE!!! his liver turned to pate!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by plastique
    didn't you see how they make the nuggets and what parts of the chicken they use?????
    They're still pretty darn-tootin' tasty with a bit of hot mustard sauce.

McDonalds isn't forcing anyone to buy its products. The advertizing completely misses my demographic; in the States its all about smiling middle class blacks. Russians have asked me, 'why do they use I'm loving it? We're told that love can't be used with the present continuous' and I have to explain that it's black English. I guess they're figuring on reaching suburban middle class whites that listen to hip-hop or at least aren't averse to it. Then again, there have been studies that have shown that young urban black girls start to menstruate about 2 years before they should because of the bovine growth hormones they put in McDonald's burgers. McDonalds is never going to sell more tofu-burgers than all-beef patties, and as long as there's a market for unhealthy food, places like McDonalds will continue to flourish. I'm just surprised their commercials don't feature more poor slobs from parts of the country where all of the restaurants are fast food joints next to the interstate exit.

I don't know ANYONE in the US that goes to McDonalds on a regular basis - most vastly prefer Au Bon Pain - style places. Most people want fresh caesar's salads and that sort of thing. If you've been in Dunkin Doughnuts and Starbucks, they both have started to offer deli sandwiches and wi-fi, which is pretty much the new trend in fast food.
    Last edited by Chubby Hubby; 22-05-2005 at 23:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby Hubby
    I don't know ANYONE in the US that goes to McDonalds on a regular basis
    Then see the film. You'll be shocked. There's a rather significant portion of the population that DO go to McDonald's regularly. They interview one guy who's eaten at least one Big Mac everyday for the last 20 years for a grand total of over 15 thousand Big Macs.

They were a de facto monopoly in the Tretyakovskaya area for a while. All of the other places were either too expensive or street food. Now we have a food court at the new mall with a Sbarros and a Subways and we're getting a Prime cafe.

I hate how at McDonalds you're always pressured to order the three things - a drink, some fries, and a sandwich. If you order some fries and a sandwich, they're like "so you don't want a drink?" If you order a drink and a sandwich they're like "would you like fries with that?" It's annoying - I'm sure they mention this in the movie. I never get more than a cheeseburger at mcdonalds with my fries and drink because it's just too much food. You feel like a fatass just shoving it in your face.

Russians have asked me, 'why do they use I'm loving it? We're told that love can't be used with the present continuous' and I have to explain that it's black English.
    Do you know that for a fact, that that is the rationale for the slogan 'I'm Loving It'? Because I find it more likely that McD's simply believe that breaking a common rule in English makes the ad catchier. It's a common technique in advertising. I certainly find it difficult to believe an advertising slogan used all over the world (as far as I know) was originally targeted at one minority demographic group in the US.

For what it's worth ...

"I'm lovin' it" was dreamt up by the firm's German advertising agency
    Champagne the best lager money can buy

They were a de facto monopoly in the Tretyakovskaya area for a while. All of the other places were either too expensive or street food. Now we have a food court at the new mall with a Sbarros and a Subways and we're getting a Prime cafe.

I hate how at McDonalds you're always pressured to order the three things - a drink, some fries, and a sandwich. If you order some fries and a sandwich, they're like "so you don't want a drink?" If you order a drink and a sandwich they're like "would you like fries with that?" It's annoying - I'm sure they mention this in the movie. I never get more than a cheeseburger at mcdonalds with my fries and drink because it's just too much food. You feel like a fatass just shoving it in your face.
    not for me if ......and if i go i hate the way nothing looks the same as the pictures ,ie nice long golden fries full to the top,in reality its half empty or once you shack it they all fall down to the bottom and again looks half full.
    but i think the worst place in moscow is the diner on maykovskaya,after two sips of coke your let with a glass of ice.

I ate McDs for the first time in 8 years this past Sunday - I was instantly reminded why it will be at least another 8 years before I do so again...horrible, sits in the stomach like slurry!

Still feeling the effects of the 3 hamburgers, 6 nuggets and large fries and milkshake today!

The milkshake was tasty, I will admit, though!

Would love to see the film if I can have a lend (can't find it anywhere)...

Quote Originally Posted by DPG

Still feeling the effects of the 3 hamburgers, 6 nuggets and large fries and milkshake today!

Dear lord man! no wonder! That is a lot of crap...you are not a large man...there's gonna be no place for that to go but out...have fun with that one!

Saw the documentary, very interesting too. Trouble is, it was the best advertisement for Mc Ds. I was craving a Big Mac afterwards!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast