littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Any good antique stores

Any good antique stores

I'm looking to buy some antiques and nice things.

1) Any good stores in or around Moscow that don't charge an arm and a leg for things
    2) Anything I should know (ie. getting customs export clearance etc).

Thanks.
    Baron.

I'd be very careful about buying anything old which you want to take out of the country, unless you are a serious collector and prepared to use a customs agent to get the necessary permission. This includes Soviet items like medals, posters, etc. The problemis state authorities like the customs officers are unpredictable.

Generally antiques are overpriced in Russia because, for historical reasons, there just isn't enough old stuff to go around.

Having said that- go to the Vernisazh at Izmailovsky park- there's lots of great old stuff there. But if it's over say 50 years old, or conceivably of historical interest, better not try and take it out of Russia.

No need to be of historical value, and not looking for soviet era, just nice things like a lamp, rug, leather sofas, etc. Just don't like new stuff. I am certainly not going to buy something unless I get export clearance.

Do you know any customs agents?

(Also thanks for answering all my many questions Ian!)

Sorry- I'm afraid I don't know any customs agents. The only antiques I buy are cameras- nothing really old- '50s and '60s mostly and I have had no problem bringing them into or out of Russia.

Can you give me a pointer of where I could find "Vernisazh at Izmailovsky park"?

Also, what about just second hand furniture stores? I always think a leather sofa is much better after 10 or 15 years than a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Can you give me a pointer of where I could find "Vernisazh at Izmailovsky park"?
    Sure, it's really simple to find. Go to Metro station "Partizanskaya" (was formely called Izmailovsky Park on out-of-date maps). There is only one exit. From the doors into the street take a LEFT and follow the footpath (you will see EVERYONE is going to the same place!). You can see the Fleamarket in the distance, 5 mins walk straight ahead - they built some replica old-style Russian buildings there. There is a 10-rouble admission charge to the market, payable at the gates - no re-entry unless you pay again.

Many antiques and collectables are sold from tiny stalls and little kiosks. One place which has nice stuff, and is always worth a look, is in a pedestrian passage near Metro Belorusskaya. Go into the station entrance for the GREEN line, but go up the stairs (ie don't enter the Metro system) and there is an exit to street level. Turn LEFT and you will be on Leningradskaya facing away from the centre (ie and towards Scheremetevo airport). Walk about 10 metres and you see some steps leading down - take them. At the bottom you see a pedestrian tunnel, lined with little kiosks. One of them, at the far end, sells collectibles, medals, old soviet knick-knacks and stuff like that. Fair prices, but not cheap. It's only a kiosk, not a shop. The guy there is friendly and knowledgable, not pushy, and enjoys clients who are interested in old nice things. I've bought several items from him in the past.

(NB there are TWO pedestrian tunnels there, this is NOT the one which you see adjacent to the Metro Entrance for the Green Line station. Although in that tunnel you can find some nice old ladies selling delicious fresh raspberries very cheaply )

Great... I'm going to head to the market today.

I'm also interested in antique furniture - tables, dining settings, desks etc... So if anyone has pointers to some nice stuff thats not too expensive, and not of huge historical significance, that'd be lovely!

In Moscow it is very expensive and many go to S.Petersburg where the prices are 3 times cheaper, but in case you need smth great:

http://www.komok-room.ru/
    not only s.t happens!

There's an article in the current issue of Bolshoi Gorod (Russian lang) about antique shops, dealers, places selling unusual and old furniture etc:

http://www.bg.ru/article/7615/

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyGreatConcerts View Post
    There's an article in the current issue of Bolshoi Gorod (Russian lang) about antique shops, dealers, places selling unusual and old furniture etc:

http://www.bg.ru/article/7615/

Thanks- that's a great article. I haven't been to any of those places- they sound fascinating especially Роза Азора.
    Interesting comments too- ' "Сочный апельсин", на Лялином переулке 22, а ведь это лучший винтажный магазин в Москве.'

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    Thanks- that's a great article. I haven't been to any of those places- they sound fascinating especially Роза Азора.
    Interesting comments too- ' "Сочный апельсин", на Лялином переулке 22, а ведь это лучший винтажный магазин в Москве.'

Yes, I made up my mind to go hunting round a few of them! The only one I know is Frik-Frak, which is a great place to dive into if you are - as I sometimes am - costuming a show or event

Got my car now, so suddenly have great flexibilty to find places...

Will check out that link and see if I can find any of them.

Hi there, i know an area with some good antique stores: Stari Arbat .