littleangels        English Nanny
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Expats in Sochi?

Jack is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet
    Life is what you make it, we can ALL find negatives in everything, me, I prefer to see the positive, but hey, that's just me..

Started the Thanksgiving Turkey Hunt, no luck in the supermarkets, maybe a fresh Russian Turkey from the central market, you would never try this in Moscow, go to a pedestrian road crossing and step off the sidewalk into the road – the cars actually stop, traffic lights just seem to flash yellow all the time – no red or green, sitting in a sea side restaurant enjoying a nice meal watching the sun set into the sea – very relaxing, some apartments have central supplied hot water and heating, others have gas or electric water heaters for the hot water and heating, waiting to see the winter time electric bill, looks like no Citibanks in Sochi yet, from the balcony can look to the North and see snow covered mountains, look to the South and see the Sea…

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Klausen View Post
    Started the Thanksgiving Turkey Hunt, no luck in the supermarkets, maybe a fresh Russian Turkey from the central market, you would never try this in Moscow, go to a pedestrian road crossing and step off the sidewalk into the road – the cars actually stop, traffic lights just seem to flash yellow all the time – no red or green, sitting in a sea side restaurant enjoying a nice meal watching the sun set into the sea – very relaxing, some apartments have central supplied hot water and heating, others have gas or electric water heaters for the hot water and heating, waiting to see the winter time electric bill, looks like no Citibanks in Sochi yet, from the balcony can look to the North and see snow covered mountains, look to the South and see the Sea…
    I'd not count on that! I lived in Sochi two years and personally saw three DEAD people, laying in the road... they had walked out and guess what... they got hit. OUCH

I smell BS... three dead people...C'mon. People lying lifeless usually means they are passed out drunk. That i'll believe.

Quote Originally Posted by BornAgainRussian View Post
    I smell BS... three dead people...C'mon. People lying lifeless usually means they are passed out drunk. That i'll believe.
    LOL. How long have you spent in Russia? I have a total of about 3 years in Sochi... lived there for 2 and spent many return (LONG) visits there. I have a home there (OK, in my wife's name) and yes, I have seen 3 dead people laying in the street there. Not all at the same time either. Sochi has the worst policy of letting dead people lay around, than anywhere I have been in the world! Oh yeah, that reminds me of the drunk who I saw walk into the sea on a real rough day. By the time they dragged his dead body out, at least 300 people were watching. They left him lay on the pier for at least 2 hours!! Sure, at least they put a towel over him after the 1st hour or so.... guess they didn't want him to sunburn!

The people hit by cars? Yeah, they laid in pools of blood for an hour or two also... I guess they don't figure there is any rush once the people are dead. Pretty grusome to most in other parts of the world. One, an old woman, they plastered her bloody head shot on TV several times, trying to find out if anyone knew who she was! Wouldn't that be a great way to find Momma? LOL

So go ahead and doubt it.... if you're there long enough, you'll see.

Oh yeah, my wife's cousin had a heart attack and died there last week and guess what? It took the ambulance 2 HOURS to get there!!! Nice place NOT to live in ones older years!

I guess I should have mentioned that I am a native Sochinean. Granted I went to school in NY but every summer since I was 13 I spent in Sochi. Oh and I have been living here full time for 4 years now. I have never seen anything you are describing. Nor have my friends. Maybe you are just unlucky and death follows you.

Quote Originally Posted by GlockWild View Post
    LOL. How long have you spent in Russia? I have a total of about 3 years in Sochi... lived there for 2 and spent many return (LONG) visits there. I have a home there (OK, in my wife's name) and yes, I have seen 3 dead people laying in the street there. Not all at the same time either. Sochi has the worst policy of letting dead people lay around, than anywhere I have been in the world! Oh yeah, that reminds me of the drunk who I saw walk into the sea on a real rough day. By the time they dragged his dead body out, at least 300 people were watching. They left him lay on the pier for at least 2 hours!! Sure, at least they put a towel over him after the 1st hour or so.... guess they didn't want him to sunburn!

The people hit by cars? Yeah, they laid in pools of blood for an hour or two also... I guess they don't figure there is any rush once the people are dead. Pretty grusome to most in other parts of the world. One, an old woman, they plastered her bloody head shot on TV several times, trying to find out if anyone knew who she was! Wouldn't that be a great way to find Momma? LOL

So go ahead and doubt it.... if you're there long enough, you'll see.

Oh yeah, my wife's cousin had a heart attack and died there last week and guess what? It took the ambulance 2 HOURS to get there!!! Nice place NOT to live in ones older years!

I believe what you say. I have seen that and worse in provincial cities in Russia.

Provincial? The city hosting the Olympics, formula one and world cup can harldy be considered provincial. I agree that 5 years ago things were much gloomier here. But these days its very different.

Provincial? The city hosting the Olympics, formula one and world cup can harldy be considered provincial. I agree that 5 years ago things were much gloomier here. But these days its very different.
    Refering to Sochi as 'provincial' was not meant in any way as a slur on your fine city.
    I've been there and enjoyed my stay. However, the population is around 350,000. It is situated in Krasnodar Krai and is not even the capital of that region. That falls to Krasnodar.
    How would you describe the city?

Up and coming.

Up and coming.
    Fine. Up and coming, provincial city, it is then!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12