littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 62

Thread: Moscow vs Saint Petersburg

  1. #1
    noman.rasheed Guest

    Moscow vs Saint Petersburg

    Hi guys,

    I am thinking of to move to Russia for studies initially if things go well then would stay over there for a very long time or might be permanently.
    Well, I would like to know the comparison of these two big cities of Russia.
    What would you say the life there, cost of living, education (universities), job, people and their attitude, weather, adjustment in the society?

    I would be glad to see the positive responses from you people.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    St. Petersburg is full of mosquitos and pick pockets. The local populace will treat you like a rich foreigner to be taken advantage of. If someone tells you that St. Petersburg is the "Venice of the north", don't believe it.

    Moscow is better.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

  3. #3
    noman.rasheed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    St. Petersburg is full of mosquitos and pick pockets. The local populace will treat you like a rich foreigner to be taken advantage of. If someone tells you that St. Petersburg is the "Venice of the north", don't believe it.

    Moscow is better.
    Ok, anything else you would like to mention, please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    If you have trouble sleeping when it's daylight, don't get to St. Petersburg in the summer. If you need more daylight in the winter, Moscow is a better option as it's further south. Moreover, if you don't like cold, damp weather, don't go to St. Petersburg.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,677
    Thanked: 598
    Quote Originally Posted by noman.rasheed View Post
    I am thinking of to move to Russia for studies
    What do you to studie?
    Some studies is best in Moscow, others are best in Petersburg (some is best not to do in Russia at all), so the answer may be more usefull for you is you tell about what studie you have on your mind.

  6. #6
    noman.rasheed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    If you have trouble sleeping when it's daylight, don't get to St. Petersburg in the summer. If you need more daylight in the winter, Moscow is a better option as it's further south. Moreover, if you don't like cold, damp weather, don't go to St. Petersburg.
    Thank you so much. That was much explanatory.

  7. #7
    noman.rasheed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    What do you to studie?
    Some studies is best in Moscow, others are best in Petersburg (some is best not to do in Russia at all), so the answer may be more usefull for you is you tell about what studie you have on your mind.
    I would like to enroll for Aviation Management program.
    Actually, I do have a Commercial Pilot License but because of only 3 airlines up here its but hard to move ahead.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Russia
    Posts
    1,677
    Thanked: 598
    This http://www.spbguga.ru/ may be what Petersburg has to offer, there may be more, but I am only aware about this one.
    Find what Moscow has to offer and compare.

  9. #9
    noman.rasheed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans.KK View Post
    This http://www.spbguga.ru/ may be what Petersburg has to offer, there may be more, but I am only aware about this one.
    Find what Moscow has to offer and compare.
    Thanx, but they are offering the program in Russian language.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SPB
    Posts
    768
    Thanked: 20
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    St. Petersburg is full of mosquitos and pick pockets. The local populace will treat you like a rich foreigner to be taken advantage of. If someone tells you that St. Petersburg is the "Venice of the north", don't believe it.

    Moscow is better.
    What a load of malarky!

    St. Petersburg is a beautiful town full of history and hasn't en-masse destroyed thousands of historical buildings to be replaced with modern monstrosities. The local populace is way more laid back than stressed out and rude Muscovites. I keep reading with puzzlement all the messages from Moscow residents about how to find a restaurant or cafe where the waiters are not full of attitude. I guess they've all moved to St. Petersburg because wait staff and store clerks here smile and are very polite.

    It is a nortern climate however, and winters are fairly long and cold. However, in St. Petersburg you get tons of fresh air from the Gulf of Finland all year long, while in Moscow you stew in exhaust fumes held in by the walls of concentric rings of the KADs. St. Petersburg has water, water everywhere, including the mighty Neva, while Moscow has hardly any in comparison. Outside of rush hour it is possible to get out of the city (St. Petersburg) from the center in about 30 minutes or less, Moscow traffic is world-renowned to be abysmal.

    Indeed, St. Petersburg shouldn't be called "The Venice of the North." Instead, Venice should be called "The St. Petersburg of the South."

    So if you want a stuffy, landlocked massive city full of stressed out hectic rude people with blood-pressure-blasting traffic, by all means head to Moscow.

    Otherwise come to St. Petersburg and actually enjoy life. And if you miss the sun in Winter, just head to Turkey or Greece for a week or two and recharge.
    "What we need, as the ancients understood, is not a politician who is a business man, but a king who is a philosopher." -- G.K. Chesterton

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    It's nice that you've had good experiences there. I have had the experiences I described.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

  12. #12
    noman.rasheed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogatyr View Post
    What a load of malarky!

    St. Petersburg is a beautiful town full of history and hasn't en-masse destroyed thousands of historical buildings to be replaced with modern monstrosities. The local populace is way more laid back than stressed out and rude Muscovites. I keep reading with puzzlement all the messages from Moscow residents about how to find a restaurant or cafe where the waiters are not full of attitude. I guess they've all moved to St. Petersburg because wait staff and store clerks here smile and are very polite.

    It is a nortern climate however, and winters are fairly long and cold. However, in St. Petersburg you get tons of fresh air from the Gulf of Finland all year long, while in Moscow you stew in exhaust fumes held in by the walls of concentric rings of the KADs. St. Petersburg has water, water everywhere, including the mighty Neva, while Moscow has hardly any in comparison. Outside of rush hour it is possible to get out of the city (St. Petersburg) from the center in about 30 minutes or less, Moscow traffic is world-renowned to be abysmal.

    Indeed, St. Petersburg shouldn't be called "The Venice of the North." Instead, Venice should be called "The St. Petersburg of the South."

    So if you want a stuffy, landlocked massive city full of stressed out hectic rude people with blood-pressure-blasting traffic, by all means head to Moscow.

    Otherwise come to St. Petersburg and actually enjoy life. And if you miss the sun in Winter, just head to Turkey or Greece for a week or two and recharge.
    Thanx, i appreciate your effort.
    That is helpful too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,406
    Thanked: 3071
    Quote Originally Posted by noman.rasheed View Post
    Thanx, but they are offering the program in Russian language.
    Quite strange for Russia, eh?
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    There and back again
    Posts
    21,406
    Thanked: 3071
    Quote Originally Posted by AstarD View Post
    It's nice that you've had good experiences there. I have had the experiences I described.
    I also had only pleasant experience for Leningrad/SPb.
    Mosquitos and pickpocketers are in Moscow too, especially at train stations and circle line of metro during peak hours.
    All the world's Kremlin,
    And all the men and women merely agents

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Just using the login
    Posts
    3,473
    Thanked: 343
    Mosquitos are not bad in Moscow, because the city sprays for them. Pickpockets are bad in Moscow, but not so bad right on Tverskaya street, as they are so bad on Nevsky Prospect, and they are not so obviously in cahoots with the police as they are in St. Petersburg.
    Shearing piglets for too much sqealing and too little wool.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •