littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh...those Romans....

Wish1991 is offline Yo' world boss....I just live here

Oh...those Romans....

But it's OK to support other historical innaccuracies, like Mel's Passion....

Church fights Da Vinci Code novel

The Roman Catholic Church in Italy has spoken out against what it says are "shameful and unfounded lies" in the best-selling novel The Da Vinci Code.
    Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Archbishop of Genoa, broke the church's official silence on the controversial book.

Its story about the Church suppressing the "truth" that Jesus had a child with Mary Magdalene has convinced many fans.

But the cardinal's spokesman denied reports that the clergyman was asked by the Vatican to hit back at the book.

Carlo Arcolao told the BBC's News website that it had been the cardinal's own decision to make a public statement about the book.

Mr Arcolao confirmed that the cardinal told an Italian newspaper: "It astonishes and worries me that so many people believe these lies."

The archbishop told Il Giornale: "The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

The book's publishers Random House were currently unavailable for comment.
    The Da Vinci Code, by US author Dan Brown, has been a publishing sensation around the world and is still in best-seller lists.

Its conspiracy theories and thriller style, in which two code-breakers try to track down the truth behind the Holy Grail, have caught the imaginations of millions.

Its central claim is that the Holy Grail is really the bloodline descended from Jesus and Mary Magdalene - which the Church is supposed to have covered up, along with the female role in Christianity.

Brown has previously said: "All of the art, architecture, secret rituals, secret societies, all of that is historical fact."

'Unmask lies'

On Wednesday, Cardinal Bertone will host a seminar called Storia Senza Storia (Story Without History) to rebut the claims.

He said he wanted "to unmask the lies" so readers could see how "shameful and unfounded" the book was.
    The cardinal has been deputy to Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the man known as "the Pope's enforcer" and a possible successor to the pontiff.

As well as the original novel, published in 2003, another 10 books have been written to debunk its claims and a booming tourist industry has sprung up around its sites.

It is also being turned into a film starring Tom Hanks, Jean Reno and Audrey Tautou. Publisher Transworld was unavailable for comment.
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white, with the name of the late deceased,

And the epitaph drear: 'A fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.'

I mean, what have the Romans ever done for us !!

Champagne the best lager money can buy

So it's only the Da Vinci code that discredits the Vatican? Hmmm, I thnk they do a pretty good jpb of that themselves.

Re: Oh...those Romans....

"The book is everywhere. There is a very real risk that many people who read it will believe that the fables it contains are true."

the bible?
    vegetables are better than humans.

Well...it is true they say if you read it in aramaic...and take it with a heavy dose of salt...LSD...hallucinogenic mushrooms...and a bottle of camagon....
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white, with the name of the late deceased,

Originally posted by Wish1991
    Well...it is true they say if you read it in aramaic...and take it with a heavy dose of salt...LSD...hallucinogenic mushrooms...and a bottle of camagon....
    too bad i'm missing the samagon bottle
    vegetables are better than humans.

Isn't it amazing that western society was able to develop in spite of the teachings of the bible. Imagine if it never were written - wouldn't life be so much better now!
    The spirit is willing.

I just need the salt!

Originally posted by ghost 6-3
    Isn't it amazing that western society was able to develop in spite of the teachings of the bible. Imagine if it never were written - wouldn't life be so much better now!
    wouldn't b worse?

Many of us would be Jewish.... Or pagan.... Oh wait...I already am!

I'm more curious bout what would've been written on $ instead of In God We Trust

In tree nymphs and fairies we trust?!? Or...if Judaism became the world faith, In Suffering We Trust?

I fink In Sun We Trust would sound more optimistic

Actually I think that unlikely $ would've existed if there was no bible

As a follower of the cult that regards 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' as a seminal work - may I suggest

In Aslan we Trust

Champagne the best lager money can buy

DJ Biscuit is offline Life will not break your heart. It'll crush it.
    Originally posted by Random
    As a follower of the cult that regards 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' as a seminal work - may I suggest

In Aslan we Trust

I'm a celebrity - get me out of here!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast