littleangels        English Nanny
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bringin the family back

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chelyabinsk
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0

    Bringin the family back

    Say, that you work in Russia for a considerable amount of time. During this time you've started a family with a Russian spouse, but ended all ties (professionally) with America. The time then comes when your children are old enough, to return to America. (for whatever reason)
    But, You, your wife and your children would all like the same opportunities of any other American family. Particularly for your wife, to work,and for your children to have green cards.
    The problem/requirement i've seen at the state website is that you must have an annual salary of (insert amount) to bring your family back.


    Is there some way to avoid leaving your loved ones to search for job in the states?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    634
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    Say, that you work in Russia for a considerable amount of time. During this time you've started a family with a Russian spouse, but ended all ties (professionally) with America. The time then comes when your children are old enough, to return to America. (for whatever reason)
    But, You, your wife and your children would all like the same opportunities of any other American family. Particularly for your wife, to work,and for your children to have green cards.
    The problem/requirement i've seen at the state website is that you must have an annual salary of (insert amount) to bring your family back.


    Is there some way to avoid leaving your loved ones to search for job in the states?
    First, what is your nationality? If the answer to the previouss is that you are a US citizen, then, second, are the children your children with your Russian wife?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chelyabinsk
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by nbogaard View Post
    First, what is your nationality? If the answer to the previouss is that you are a US citizen, then, second, are the children your children with your Russian wife?
    we're all here and yes i'm american.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 0
    I would make sure you hire an immigration lawyer who can help you prepare and speed up the process.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chelyabinsk
    Posts
    10
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by English Teacher View Post
    I would make sure you hire an immigration lawyer who can help you prepare and speed up the process.
    for sure. i was just wondering if anyone knew about another option without payin consultation fees

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 0
    there are two issues you have in this situation: 1) proof of financial support and 2) domicile in the U.S.

    The financial support is actually the easier one, because you can get a co-sponsor (relative, family friend, anyone in the U.S. who has the income and is willing to sign) which means you don't need to rely on your Russian income. (which, btw, if that income would stop when you move to the US, is basically useless regardless of the amount).

    The bigger problem you will have is re-establishing domicile in the U.S. A lot of times, this depends on luck. Many people choose to go in advance of their family to ensure the interviews go smoothly. But, you can also try any combination of these types of things:
    - Find a job (or job offer) in the United States
    - Locate a place to live in the United States
    - Register children in U.S. schools
    - Make arrangements to give up (relinquish) residence abroad
    - Evidence of current U.S. bank accounts
    - Other evidence of a U.S. residence

    Those suggestions are from the U.S. embassy in Australia - I guess the situation is more common there :-)

    It's possible... just takes some planning and some flexibility in case of unpleasant surprises!!


    As for lawyer... helps, but if you are willing to buckle down and do the research (on immigration forum as well - don't just rely on the "official" info) and DON'T take things lightly (never assume your case is a no-brainer for approval), you can do it on your own.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    msk
    Posts
    4,567
    Thanked: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    for your children to have green cards.


    Wouldn't your children also have American citizenship? So, they wouldn't need green cards?
    ◀► ◢◤

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •