littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basayev’s interview on Channel 4

Basayev’s interview on Channel 4

They showed it actually despite all the protests and I think it was a very good thing to do to show the real face of this racist bastard.

Apparently there is a war between the descendants of monkeys (us) and descendants of Adam who was created by Allah (them). And it has nothing to do with anything else. And he will decide who is who.

And he admitted that there will be other actions similar to Beslan so really should Russians believe in this cease the fire stuff.

My Opinion - He and those who follows him like dogs with rabies – no point in curing or negotiation.
    Q: What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty? A: He says good-bye to his boyhood and looks forward to his adultery.

Jet is offline Íč÷ĺăî íĺ áîéń˙
    Agree with you Polia. Basaev is a representative of a new generation of terrorists - professional terrorists. He thinks of himself as a religious freedom fighter (although I doubt he knows the Koran that well), but in reality he is a mercenary and a very violent one.
    "Ńĺé÷ŕń ěű ĺăî ń ëĺâîăî ôëŕíăŕ íŕĺ..ě!" (Ń)

Polia. Da. Sobaki sobachki smyert.

Ironically, there's good evidence to believe he's now dead, according to rumors circulating in the area.

Once again, Britain has spat in our face. If they go on pulling the bears tail, he will eventually wake up...
    I'm big in Japan!

I really don't consider anything the British press does as representative of British people. They seem to live in their own little world, and that world has some very strange views and apparently no rules.
    That's me, as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!

Call me cynical but, you have falling ratings so what do you do? Air an interview with someone who is socially repugnant. Gets people talking about you and watching your programmes again.

The price of a ‘free media’

I keep on asking - why they have showed this interview? What for? People in Russian still cannot forget all the cruel things he have done here...
    HE is not dead unfortunately as well as Maskhadov. They just mind-**** ALL THE WORLD as well as Bin Laden does. Such people will never up (
    Last edited by Kseniya; 04-02-2005 at 14:26.

I know he may be despicable to many, but that doesn't mean he's not newsworthy or that it's wrong to show him. I've seen fragments of Bin Laden tapes here in Russia, and I'm not outraged or anything. To the contrary, I'm interested to hear and make my own interpretations. Why should we rob others of that right ?

Originally posted by rupert
    Call me cynical but, you have falling ratings so what do you do? Air an interview with someone who is socially repugnant. Gets people talking about you and watching your programmes again.

The price of a ‘free media’
    The Downing Street voiced its position. SOmething like, its an independant media, and there is a freedom of speach. Similar arguments arise, when there is a need for extradition of someone similarly extremist- the court is independent, and the State can't overrule its decisions. Very convenient position, when the Government is not responsible for what is happenning in the country, at the same time is in a position to criticise other states for the smallest things. Most of the Western "democracies" play this game. Unbeatable position. ;-)

Originally posted by Eye Opener
    The Downing Street voiced its position. SOmething like, its an independant media, and there is a freedom of speach. Similar arguments arise, when there is a need for extradition of someone similarly extremist- the court is independent, and the State can't overrule its decisions. Very convenient position, when the Government is not responsible for what is happenning in the country, at the same time is in a position to criticise other states for the smallest things. Most of the Western "democracies" play this game. Unbeatable position. ;-)
    god that's rot. britain has had that system for donkies' years. it's why so many revolutionaries/exiles etc lived there in tsarist times.

as to basayev, 100% agree with hal.

I'm not sure what the problem is, the West has received a terrorist like Arafat for years likse some sort of a hero and so has Russia.
    Why would anyone treat Basayev any different?

Originally posted by Halyavshik
    I know he may be despicable to many, but that doesn't mean he's not newsworthy or that it's wrong to show him. I've seen fragments of Bin Laden tapes here in Russia, and I'm not outraged or anything. To the contrary, I'm interested to hear and make my own interpretations. Why should we rob others of that right ?
    I believe you have a good point, on that one.

However, the UK seems to accept the very people who are on Interpols list of "known" terrorists, thus making a mockery of its own visa (for Russians) pre-requisits. I.e. You are not a terrorist, nor an active member of any terrorist fractions; and nor are you on any wanted list(s).

I've seen the visa application form, and it asks if you're a member or if you've been a member of any terrorist organisations...When my wife (first) spotted it, she burst out laughing and pointed it out to me.

All, you need do then (it seems to me), to circumvent this nuance; is to say, "Yes I'm a leader of a radical terrorist group..." and then you'll automatically qualify for political assylum, get Vanessa Redgrave, and Lord Judd, on side, for good measure - to help finance you and give you shelter, from the international, political, storm; and then promote max publicity to justify your cause...

Irrespective of the fact that you might have (either directly or indirectly), had a hand in butchering a few hundred innocent people, and/or taking them hostage, at the point of a gun because they didn't agree with your philosophy.

Torturing to death, unfortunate, young, captured, Russian soildiers; and/or hacking their heads off, whil'st they're still alive - just for good measure....

Of note, his ol' buddy, if I'm not mistaken, that is...??? Berezovsky, also claimed political assylum, fought, and won (what a surprise), extradition, back to Russia. The two should be quite relieved and cozy there together now...

Last edited by Bluebird; 05-02-2005 at 18:48.
    "Have regard for your name, since it will remain for you longer than a great store of gold."
    - Ecclesiasticus

"...Russian anti-terrorist operations are brutal, innocent civilians get swept in, but it is war, and innocents are not specifically targeted and exploited.

There is no excuse for Beslan. Hitler was also enraged that due to their traditional money-handling skill, Jews profiteered enormously in the 20's while "dense" middle-cl**** stability adoring Germans were empoverished during Weimar hyperinflation (much like Russia in the 90's).

That is no justification for the horrors of the holocaust. Like "the anti-terrorist" Basayev, he also saw himself as a great humanist. "Anti-terrorist Basayev" and "Humanist Hitler" are equally absurd and repulsive propaganda. Basayev just lacks Hitlers resources and scale.

The Chechen conflict is certainly not only the fault of the Chechens, but they will never solve their problems by killing school children and bombing apartment buildings and Metro trains in Moscow (one of which any of you could have easily lived in, or been travelling on). Putin's attack on the Chechen threat is heavy-handed, probably with excessive use of force, but he is attacking concrete threats from armed insurrectionists, who often coerce or cooperate with innnocent civilians to shelter them. Countering a valid guerilla warfare threat is not easy or pretty. And the real threat of the restoration of the late 90's Al-Kaida haven independent Chechnya, spreading its Talibanist message to the entire Northern Caucausus is something that Putin cannot in good conscience allow to become a reality, however difficult it is to reign in Russian troops in the heat the life-threatening threats of guerilla war.

Broadcasting Shamayev's "justification" is equivalent to broadcasting Osama Bin Laden's appeals. Maybe it is right, but then the issue is hypocrisy - the BBC, CNN etc, should also broadcast the fanatic Arab's gripes. While the systematic Western exploitation of Arab resources and "killing" of their culture (we can differ on how "defendable" it is, but it seems inarguable the juggernaut of Western culture that believes itself "justified and righteous" in undermining tradional Islamic values, primarily through economic co-opting) seems less "brutal" than Russian actions in Chechnya (but then the West is not as brutally threatened), from the extremists point of view it is more insideous and pervasive.

The Russians want political domination, not cultural triumph - which is more insidious? Traditional peoples seem to have done much, much better preserving traditional cultures under the Russian model of empire than (which was coherently authoritarian but systematically integrative)of America. The native cultures of the Americas were subject to the exterminating cultural ideology of Manifest Destiny, the robbing cry of a messianically deluded democratic society..."

serge, that made no sense whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast