littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distant studing

FlakeySnowballer Guest

Distant studing

Could you name US or UK universities where distant studing take a place?
    The question to Brits.Do you know London Metropolitan University. What could you say about it?

Distance learning

Two places that might be worth a try are Liverpool University and the Open University.

And the University of London. They offer `external programmes` of different kinds through their colleges.

Flakey, I think the largest is probably University of Maryland or perhaps University of Arizona but check out this web site:

www.intstudy.com/articles/usadist.htm

I have a cousin who teaches a portion of an MBA curriculum at UCLA online. I don't know, however, if attendance is totally on the net.

Also try University of Phoenix, although I don't know of their standing.

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeySnowballer View Post
    The question to Brits.Do you know London Metropolitan University. What could you say about it?
    Very nice locations, good for the centre of town transport wise - quite a high proportion of male students and faculty, not a bad cv filler for batchelor degrees especially in pure science - they've got a very nice library, and dating back to the Guildhall days a reasonable reputation for the liberal arts - my understanding is that since 1997 they've been at the forefront of trying to establish themselves as a scientific centre of excellence and chase 'New labours / commercial sponsorship dollar', there was a financial scandal a few years back that I think hasn't really gone away and investigation is suspended pending the recovery from financial crisis. Guidhall turned me down for a lecturers job back in the 90's, so clearly they've got spot-on quality control.
    The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

FlakeySnowballer Guest
    Huge THAnk you Guys

The London Metropoliton University is a very good choice. As for the Open university, I don't think it works in Russia, even for expat Brits. Too many restrictions.

LOndon Met recommended for distance or for foriegn studen\ts going to study in UK http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/

Last edited by Bels; 24-03-2010 at 20:32.

FlakeySnowballer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post
    The London Metropoliton University is a very good choice. As for the Open university, I don't think it works in Russia, even for expat Brits. Too many restrictions.

LOndon Met recommended for distance or for foriegn studen\ts going to study in UK http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/
    Thank you Bels

Don't discount the Open University

Quote Originally Posted by Bels View Post

The Open University works very well for suitably qualified Russian and expatriated students living in Russia, I know of a French lady living in Barcelona, 2 Russians based in Russia and an American who have all received excellent marketable qualifications from the OU - if you have sufficient self motivation, (the OU works at a very great distance in a modular format that seems to give limitless opportunity to extend courses for the perpetual student), the OU offers very high quality education at very reasonable pricing, even without state subsidy. I found this on their website about what exactly is a suitable candidate:

"All teaching is in English and your proficiency in the English language should be adequate for the level of study you wish to take. We strongly recommend that students have achieved an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of at least 7. To assess your English language skills in relation to your proposed studies you an visit the IELTS web page at www.ielts.org.

Most students will have to pay a higher fee because the UK fee includes a government subsidy restricted to UK residents and students with British Forces Post Office addresses.

For further information, please visit the Studying Outside the UK website."

Cheers

Matt
    The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.

Gilbert K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Matt24 View Post
    The Open University works very well ....
    I've just finished a BA with the OU. It was a bit of a slog, having no peer support, but their learning materials were really impressive.
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

FlakeySnowballer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    I've just finished a BA with the OU. It was a bit of a slog, having no peer support, but their learning materials were really impressive.
    How much time did you spend to finish the university? One year or more?
    Did you receive diploma?

How much time did you spend to finish the university? One year or more?
    Did you receive diploma?
    It took 6 years (I had a gap of 1 year because I was fed up with it).

Yes, a handsome certificate on quality, watermarked paper. It's lying about somewhere in a pile of junk mail.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/?KWCAMP...pen_university
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

FlakeySnowballer Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyTong View Post
    It took 6 years (I had a gap of 1 year because I was fed up with it).

Yes, a handsome certificate on quality, watermarked paper. It's lying about somewhere in a pile of junk mail.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/?KWCAMP...pen_university
    Why didn't you receive a degree (diploma i mean)?

Why didn't you receive a degree (diploma i mean)?
    I think he did somehow. He is a Psychiatrist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast