littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Expats in Nizhny?

MortenK Guest

Expats in Nizhny?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering how many expats are currently in Nizhny? It does not seem like there is a very vibrant expat community here, but I might of course be mistaking

I'm here relatively often myself, around half a year in a year on a multiple entry visa, usually for a month or two at a time.

Would like to know how many expats in here are living in Nizhny, and if there's any kind of group activities going on. Thanks!

All the best,
    Morten

Sorry Morten, I don't know if there are many expats in Nizhny myself, but I'll be visiting the city for the first time in the mid of March!
    In Guus We Trust

MortenK Guest
    Hi Max,

Thanks for the answer! Yes it seems there are not many, at least not on these forums You'll be in town for business or?

Morten

We have a corporate sporting event in suburbs of Kstovo - Нижегородская область, Кстовский район, с.Кадницы - to be precise. I'll be there on March 12th and 13th. We are leaving the place on March 14th. I guess we'll travel by train. Come, cheer for us!
    In Guus We Trust

MortenK Guest
    Sounds like a lot of fun!

Nizhny Novgorod

Hi Morten

If you search for some statistics, you will find that it is very few foreigners visiting NN also, if to compare with Moscow and St. P.
    I guess it is the same with expats working there, permanent or time-from-time.
    I by myself have been in NN since 1992, 1 - 2 weeks per month, and for periods many months at a time.
    (And I love to be places where I mainly meet locals)

Bjorn

MortenK Guest
    Hi Bjorn,

Yeah I think your right, there's generally not too many foreigners here. While I do like to meet locals of course, I speak hardly any russian. And as very few people here speak english, I thought there might be some kind of expat groups meeting in NN from time to time for drinks and talks.

Well, maybe in 10 years

Have a good weekend

Morten

Quote Originally Posted by MortenK View Post
    Hi Bjorn,

Yeah I think your right, there's generally not too many foreigners here. While I do like to meet locals of course, I speak hardly any russian. And as very few people here speak english, I thought there might be some kind of expat groups meeting in NN from time to time for drinks and talks.

Well, maybe in 10 years

Have a good weekend

Morten
    That's funny NN has one of the best language uni in Russia with 1000's students, I met many people who speak English there.

MortenK Guest
    It's relative. I've also met "a lot" who speaks english, like my girlfriends colleagues which are all english teachers, but outside of that, it's quite rare to encounter anyone speaking english imo. If you go to the language university, then sure, you're probably bound to run into a lot of english speaking students.

Hey, I am an American in NN, I just don't show up here often...there aren't too many people writing on this forum.
    If you got any questions about NN or job opportunities )) email me at amsakharov@gmail.com

I also visit Nizhny one or two time a month for a couple of days each.Usually go to the English or Papabasha billy American style bar grill. I have found quite a few people in Nizhny speak English