littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: British supermarket bans shoppers in pyjamas

British supermarket bans shoppers in pyjamas

'A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot.

Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted." '
    Full story here:
    BBC News - Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas

So- what do you think? Should supermarkets be enforcing a dress code like this? Is this a 'problem' in Moscow? (Maybe not at the moment, but in the Summer it might be quite convenient to slip on a dressing gown and pair of slippers and shuffle over to the supermarket say on a Saturday morning.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    Full story here:
    BBC News - Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas

So- what do you think? Should supermarkets be enforcing a dress code like this? Is this a 'problem' in Moscow? (Maybe not at the moment, but in the Summer it might be quite convenient to slip on a dressing gown and pair of slippers and shuffle over to the supermarket say on a Saturday morning.)
    No dress code in stores (may be to be naked absolutely and without any shoes (slippers) will look strange).

In Russia, the majotiry can not "afford" to go to the shop in pyjamas, due:

1. they do not like wearing pyjamas;
    2. they do not like to look stupid (so, even you smoke in the corridor you will put on smth convinient for the case (not black tie of course, but at leasts trousers and T-Shirt).
    not only s.t happens!

Never seen problems with dresscode in Russian supermarkets. Usually people don't take care too much about it but Sat morning w/hangover... well, jammed home trousers or sportsuit trousers - yes, maybe...

Only once upon a time in Samara we decided to visit famous beer restaurant "U Vakano", and security guy said they don't allow jeans, only trousers. It was strange but I had trousers in my suitcase (we were at the way to airport already) and changed at gents' room.

Better naked! Forget pyjamas! Strip off!

Remember that news appeared a couple of months ago: one well-known shop chain here in Russia (I forgot its name) held days of "come naked shop for free", and it worked, but finally came in for criticism. Ah, those prudes!

Another example of exciting service was given by one NZ airline in May 2009, when their cabin crew carried out their duties donning nothing but some body paint. If only I had been on that plane!
    Last edited by AndreyS; 28-01-2010 at 15:23.

Dress Code

Sounds like the British are starting to go American. You might be shocked at the way some people around here dress to go out. Granted, you don't need a suit or gown to go shopping but a person should take some pride in how they apppear in public. Around here everybody dresses like bums to do anything. Pyjama's, dirty sweats, flip flops in the cold of winter, etc... I have noticed that in Europe people usually wear something nice when they leave the house. European women seem to take more pride in their appearance than the average American does. I say keep up the good work. Seeing what some folks around here wear to go out would probably put most Europeans into cardiac arrest.

I have never seen in my local supermarkets South of the Tyne anyone dressed in nightwear.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegulf View Post
    Sounds like the British are starting to go American. You might be shocked at the way some people around here dress to go out. Granted, you don't need a suit or gown to go shopping but a person should take some pride in how they apppear in public. Around here everybody dresses like bums to do anything. Pyjama's, dirty sweats, flip flops in the cold of winter, etc... I have noticed that in Europe people usually wear something nice when they leave the house. European women seem to take more pride in their appearance than the average American does. I say keep up the good work. Seeing what some folks around here wear to go out would probably put most Europeans into cardiac arrest.
    'Europe' is a generalization. In Russia, Poland, the Baltic states, yes, but in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Netherlands etc, a lot of women (and men) don't care how they dress any more. Today even in the Middle East people take more care how they dress than in parts of western Europe and the US!

Not sure what part of Germany you're talking about but the areas where I lived a woman never stepped out of the house to go anywhere without being nicely dressed.

May be they are all russians, do you live in Studgardt?
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreyS View Post
    Another example of exciting service was given by one NZ airline in May 2009, when their cabin crew carried out their duties donning nothing but some body paint. If only I had been on that plane!
    They cheated by applying body paint! They have to go one step further next time

W

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    They cheated by applying body paint! They have to go one step further next time
    Agreed! Not good of them! I am eagerly waiting for their new developments. Until then, we have to contend ourselves with what we have now:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfTs4-LeOyM"]YouTube- naked crew[/ame]

“No shoes, no shirt, no Smith & Wesson, no service.”
    If you want something done, do it yourself!

World's gonnabe crazy