littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Cheboksary anyone?

Cheboksary anyone?

Hi folks,

I am just dropping a line to see if anyone here is from or has a good knowledge of Cheboksary. I am planning to move there in a few years and travel there next year in order to buy an apartment. I am just trying to network in advance with anyone who may live there or close to it :-)

I'm not from there so you can take this how you like, but my girlfriend is from Йошкар-ола which is right down the road. She studied in Cheboksary for 3 years before moving to Moscow. From what she's told me it doesn't exactly get rave reviews. We might be going there in March to visit her family (I know this doesn't help you right now) so I'll know personally in a little while.

If nobody can reply in a decent amount of time if you want, I can ask her to tell me more about it and write more in detail.
    Если не проснусь я однажды по утру то помните я тру, и всегда был тру...

I imagine that your wife is from Yoshkar-ola (I don't read Russian)? That is where my wife is from as well. I have been to both cities several times, and liked them both, but I found Cheboksary to be very clean and nice. Of course, I always like to hear from all perspectives, so if there is dirt, I would love to hear it :-)

Any ideas of prices on apartments or property i would love to hear it. I cannot find such information on the Net. Thank you for your time, and perhaps our wives know each other, mine is 31 years old...

Larry Paradine is offline Incompetent wizard, frantically calculating how many of his seven plus one lives are left
    I know more about Cheboksary than I know about the two Russian cities(Samara and Togliatti) that I've posted information about in this forum, in fact I know more about it than I do about any other city in Russia or abroad, having first come here in 1998, got married here in 1999 and lived here intermittently since. My reasons for not posting about it here before are mainly personal, but are certainly not because of any adverse experiences in or poor opinion of the city. On the contrary; Cheboksary well deserves the title "жемчужина поволжя" . In my humble opinion it's one of the most beautiful small cities on the planet. Unfortunately, like many other lovely areas of the world (the West of Ireland, the Scottish highlands and Nepal come to mind), it's economically deprived, and many residents, like my wife, would argue that the grandiose, prestige building projects and efforts to turn the city into a megapolis favoured by our president (of Chuvashia) only add to the feeling of deprivation in the Chuvash hinterland, while doing nothing to improve the capital's infrastructure. I myself have no desire to leave for another city as I've so often done in the past, and can't at present as I'm restricted to Chuvashia by the terms of my временное проживания (usually referred to in this forum as temporary residence permit, or TRP) but may have to say yet another reluctant до с видание to my wife and favourite city as soon as I can progress to вид на жительства (in this forum generally known as PRP or permanent residence permit).

When I have some spare time I'll rectify a long standing omission by posting an article about Shupashkar (the Chuvash name of the city: Cheboksary is the Russian name). Meanwhile, two messages from me to the OP and the only other member who has so far replied:

diablogun: when I first came to Cheboksary, property was ridiculously cheap, even by Russian provincial standards of the immediate post Soviet years. When I arrived here, I was, by British standards, poor, but well enough off by Russian standards to have bought an apartment. Sadly, I didn't and since then property prices have rocketed. The world economic crisis has had a restraining effect on local property price inflation, but not as much as might have been expected, and I would advise you to buy a flat here soon, before prices go through the roof again.

mk182: all these years in Cheboksary and I've never been to Йошкор-ола (though I've been to other towns and villages in the Mari El Republic). My wife, who was born and has lived all her life in Cheboksary, has also never been to Йошкар-ола and has consistently resisted all my efforts to persuade her to take a day trip there (just 2 hours by bus, less by marshrutni) because "Да нет, это скучный город, там ничего не интересное". I don't agree with your girl friend's opinion of Cheboksary, but at least she has some personal knowledge of our city, while we have only our (i.e. my wife has only her) local patriotism and instinctive contempt for all other towns to guide us. Some time ago, someone browsing this forum contacted me to ask for info about Йошкар-ола, and I had to admit i knew nothing at all about that city. If you've already been there and have formed an opinion of it, please post your impressions in this forum.

Larry,

That is great news, and I like the articulate manner in which expressed your views of Cheboksary. I have a mountain of research to do in going down this path towards living there, and I want to know all that I can as it gets closer.

I am not rich, so from an economic perspective, can one expect to live well there on say 2000 dollars a month? I am assuming a paid-for place to live, and access to more funds for emergencies if needed. From reading the posts on Moscow that would seem to be a low amount to live on, so it is good to hear from someone in Cheboksary presently about the cost of living.

My thinking is that we will buy when we go there for 4 weeks 15 months from now; I hope that prices do not shoot skyward in the meantime...

Thank you for any information you provide

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Paradine View Post
    mk182: all these years in Cheboksary and I've never been to Йошкор-ола (though I've been to other towns and villages in the Mari El Republic). My wife, who was born and has lived all her life in Cheboksary, has also never been to Йошкар-ола and has consistently resisted all my efforts to persuade her to take a day trip there (just 2 hours by bus, less by marshrutni) because "Да нет, это скучный город, там ничего не интересное". I don't agree with your girl friend's opinion of Cheboksary, but at least she has some personal knowledge of our city, while we have only our (i.e. my wife has only her) local patriotism and instinctive contempt for all other towns to guide us. Some time ago, someone browsing this forum contacted me to ask for info about Йошкар-ола, and I had to admit i knew nothing at all about that city. If you've already been there and have formed an opinion of it, please post your impressions in this forum.

Well, I hope you were not offended I certainly was not trying to express my own opinion about this city. As I stated I have not been there and was only repeating what my girlfriend told me. She said she didn't like it very much, but she was also 17 at the time and most teenagers don't like anything.

As I stated before I too will visit there soon as well as Ioshkar-ola and I'm very excited. I'm sure it is a wonderful city It is in Russia afterall.

-> diablogun Well Im sorry I couldn't be of more assistance to you but it seems that Larry was kind enough to express his views .

Good luck and keep us informed! Maybe I'll run into you there someday, seeing as how my GF is tired of Moscow and homesick now
    Если не проснусь я однажды по утру то помните я тру, и всегда был тру...

Larry Paradine is offline Incompetent wizard, frantically calculating how many of his seven plus one lives are left
    Hallo diablogun and mk182.

Please excuse this rather brief note, I promise to keep in touch and send further information as required. Diablogun, I know what forum members in Moscow say about the minimum amount required to live in Russia, but you have to take into account two factors:

1) Moscow (and St. Petersburg) are a different world from the vast expanses of Russia itself; they would be more expensive than provincial cities even if they didn't have large communities of expatriates from prosperous countries of the "first world" to tempt vendors of everything from apartments to ice cream to push up prices;

2) I mean no disrespect to the members of this forum, but I get the impression that, even in their home countries, they've been used to a higher than average standard of living and are, therefore, in the position of living at the same level in Moscow as they would have in Melbourne, Manhattan or Manchester while earning less than they would have at home: Western middle class comforts are still mainly luxuries in Russia and this is reflected in prices that the still nascent middle classes find difficult to afford.

So: if one can just get by in Moscow on an income of $2000 a month (after any accommodation expenses have been deducted, of course), you can expect to live comfortably in most provincial cities on the same amount (with the possible exception of places like Magadan in the far northeast, where supply difficulties engender high prices); I can assure you that, at present, a monthly disposable income of $2,000 in Cheboksary, though not enough to put you on the same level as the "oligarch" cl**** would enable you to live a comfortable, Western style middle class lifestyle.