littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Residency and migration cards

Residency and migration cards

Hi,

Has any permanent or temporary residents here been asked to fill out a migration card at border control?
    Previously we didn't need to, but it seems things might have changed -- just curious.

K

Well on they plane the stewards ask everyone to fill them in- but that's because they prefer to keep things simple. The fact is if you have Temporary or Permanent Resindence you don't need a migration card. (You are not visiting Russia, you live here.) If they ask for it at passport control it's simply because they haven't looked at your passport very carefully- it's a boring job- just tell them you don't need a migration card as you have temporary/ permanent residency.
    This is what happened to me in December. No problem at all.

Well on the other site people have said that at DVE airport they insisted even after they explained that they have residency.
    And on Russian language forums people have also had similar problems so I was just wondering if they had change the rules or if it was just one guard that didn't know how it was meant to work.
    Of course, it makes no sense to have a migration card if you are a resident but . . .

I have TRP.
    Last month I flew in at Sheremetyevo, and did not fill in the migration card. The boarder guard did not ask for it.
    Yesterday, I flew in at Domodedovo, and here the border guard insisted that foreigners on TRP also have to fill in the migration card.

I think I have read somewhere on this forum that people on TRP do not have to fill in the migration card. (it had to do with the difference between pribuvanie and prozhivanie)
    I would greatly appreciate if some member on this forum can supply the official law, indicating whether TRP holders need to fill in the migration card or not, so that I can print out the paragraph and keep it between my travel documents.

I flew into Vnukovo recently and there were no immigration cards where they usually are. But was told to ask for one at the passport window. They magically printed one, filled out all nice and neat.

Quote Originally Posted by martpark View Post
    I flew into Vnukovo recently and there were no immigration cards where they usually are. But was told to ask for one at the passport window. They magically printed one, filled out all nice and neat.
    Vnukovo is the only airport that prints the migration card at the passport control. I believe this is experimental phase before deploying this technology to remaining 3 airports in Moscow.

I got asked for my migration card when I flew out of Domodedovo in June.

I flew out from Sheremetevo this morning. I deliberately did not show the migration card (the one I had filled in two days ago on Domodedovo).
    The border guard did not ask for it.

I am still with my question. Do TRP holders need to fill in a migration card, or not ? Where is the `legal text` that gives proof ?

No need to fill out migration card

I posted this before:

According to the web site of the Federal Migration Service's Moscow Region division temporary residents do NOT need to fill in migration cards. Or so they answer to a question posted on their FAQ section on the site (capitalization is theirs):

http://www.fmsmo.ru/main.php?p=4-0

"Миграционный учет ИГ и ЛБГ

Я получила временное проживание в РФ. Штамп уже проставлен в паспорте. Также уже и поставлен штамп прописки сроком на 3 года. При пересечении границы мне необходимо заполнять миграционную карту или достаточно показать паспорт?
    Ответ: Во время пересечения государственной границы, при наличии паспорта с отметкой о разрешении на временное проживание и штампа о регистрации по месту жительства, брать и заполнять миграционную карту НЕ требуется. Достаточно предъявить паспорт с соответствующей отметкой и штампом."

Of course, waving a printout of a FAQ section, won't help much when faced with a stubborn border guard.

Thanks for posting the Q&A, but I am afraid it won`t impress the border guards. There should be something written down about TRP and immigration cards in one of the FMS procedures, I would think...

Quote Originally Posted by SV1973a View Post
    Thanks for posting the Q&A, but I am afraid it won`t impress the border guards. There should be something written down about TRP and immigration cards in one of the FMS procedures, I would think...
    You can try but the question is.. is it worth arguing with them about the finer point of the law for extra 10 minutes at the passport control? Sometimes it's just not worth it, get it done with and move on. It's not that migration card will have any bearing on your status but to save hassles with inept border guards.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington View Post
    You can try but the question is.. is it worth arguing with them about the finer point of the law for extra 10 minutes at the passport control? Sometimes it's just not worth it, get it done with and move on. It's not that migration card will have any bearing on your status but to save hassles with inept border guards.
    If I were to possess a text from FMS that says :
    according to FZnrABC, law on migration cards, ... that says :
    article A.B Foreign nationals that have the TRP do not need to fill in migration cards.

I would certainly enter into the argument with them.
    As long as I don`t have such text, it is better to fill in the card.

I'm not too bothered about the border guards, as I imagine that they have to deal with a fair few tourists who lose their cards, and they just deal with it. Yes, you'll lose a bit of time, but it won't be a big problem.

Where I would foresee problems would be some over-zealous militsiya guy, or one out for a bribe, who would probably feel well within his rights putting you behind bars, if he caught you on one of those evening sweeps for bribes.

I don't think you will find anything that have a reference to 'Temporary' Resident of Russia so they are free to interpret whatever they feel like for TRP holders. Otherwise they won't ask for migration card if the law is so clear with the wording 'temporary' in the clause. Blame it on poor law craftsmanship.
    Last edited by Remington; 12-07-2010 at 16:08.