littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First impressions

meljomur Guest

First impressions

We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents. What is going on with the strange ceiling (was it so they could keep an eye on people)???!!!

Admittedly we have done mostly touristy things so far (City bus tour today) and we are staying at a fairly westernised hotel, so I guess it is difficult to form a fair opinion yet.

We are beginning to view apartments tomorrow and I am really excited to see some of the different neighborhoods.

All in all I can see why most of you love this city so much, I think (once I have learned the language a bit) I am really going to enjoy living here and all it has to offer. But damn it is cold here... (and I know it is only September)

Kshisya Guest
    oi dont ya bother better pack and get back home it will be DAMN cold VERY soon so you better escape before it started

meljomur Guest
    Dear your royal highness,

Thank you for your concern, but I am sure I will survive...

DaveUK1965 Guest

Re: First impressions

Ahhhh yes, welcome to Russia, Meljomur !

Can you see what all the comments about Sheremetievo-2 are for, now ? ;-)))) It`s actually made from the grease you find behind the cooker, by the way - they had to harvest it for years. ;-))))

The ceiling mirrors ARE there to keep an eye on everyone, as are the bugs in your hotel. ;-))))) No no, there`s only apparently ONE hotel in Moscow which is brimming with old KGB microphones in the wall...... according to the rumours. ;-)) (Can any Russian reader tell me which one, by the way ?? )))

Yep, great city, isn`t it ? Hope the flat hunting goes well and are you in for a surprise when winter comes ? ;-))) It gets COLD. A number of Russians are killed with the first thaw when six foot icicles fall off the guttering. Last year the Mayor of Moscow, in one of his usual interesting outbursts, advised Russians to go and clear the icicles from the guttering themselves. Prepare for a very cold winter.....

Hope you`re enjoying life in Moscow - great, isn`t it ? ;-))) Lots to see and do, and you`ll soon find out that Russian people, when you get to know them, are wonderful. Well. Most of them. ;-)))) Hope you`re having a good time and - congratulations !!

Dave ;-)))

Originally posted by meljomur
    We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents. What is going on with the strange ceiling (was it so they could keep an eye on people)???!!!

meljomur Guest
    Thanks Dave,

I am actually becoming increasingly excited about living here. I purchased all the appropriate clothing prior to moving, will manage I am sure. Besides my son has never seen snow and I suspect he will love it!!

DaveUK1965 Guest
    He`s gonna see some SERIOUS snow in a bit, Mel. ;-)))))))))

Russia is great. ;-)) Despite everything, despite all the difficulties in living there (the weather being just one) - there is NO place just like it on earth. ;-))))))))) The pluses outweigh the minuses by a long chalk.

And you definitely begin to understand the value of two things - people and money. ;-))))))))

Have fun and - exciting, isn`t it ? ;-)))))))

Dave ;-)))))

Hermione Guest
    they taught us at Hogwarts it was 'Pekin' hotel, Dave :P

The winter here is far better than the winter back home.
    As soon as it goes below freezing point (and that wont be long now!) there is no rain only snow. I don't know about you but i prefere snow any day. Minus 30 sounds scary but actualy its a lot of fun.
    Wrap up warm and enjoy!

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Also the summers are much better than back home, too, Mel. ;-) No humidity (at least not in the South of Russia, where I was) so you don`t feel like you`re being boiled alive. ;-)))))

However, you may want to familiarise yourself with the Russian word "kamari" - "mosquitoes" - they`re all asleep now, bless their little hearts, but when they wake up, put their little bibs on and sharpen up the knives and forks, foreigners are on the top of the menu. ;-)))))

andylip Guest
    no, there`s only apparently ONE hotel in Moscow which is brimming with old KGB microphones in the wall...... according to the rumours. ;-)) (Can any Russian reader tell me which one, by the way ?? )))
    I'm not Russian... but is it the Hotel Ukraine?

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Don`t think so ! I think Hermiona`s right. The Ukraina was apparently not used for Westerners.

The rumour has it that a whole hotel was bugged and reserved for visiting businessmen and diplomats - microphones in the walls, and it was pretty blatantly done too. I keep hearing different versions which say one floor was bugged, the whole hotel was bugged.....

Not that we Brits ever did ANYTHING like that with visiting Russian diplomats, of course, oh no. We played the game with a straight bat and three cheers for the other fella...... ;-)))))))))

Hermione Guest
    I know Hermiona is right, couldn't be more right

In the beginning of 2002 the director of the hotel was shot, died. They say they've left the hotel, but I doubt it indeed. KGB forever!!

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Heheee ! That`s what happens when you talk in your sleep, is it ? ;-)))))))

Dave ;-))))

twaj Guest

Re: First impressions

At JFK the staff is all ugly and usually hispanic. Almost everyone working at Sheremetevo 2 is a hot chic. This is why it is one of my favorite airports, although the 10 ruble bus to Rechnoi Voksal takes forever - I would opt for the 50 ruble bus that goes there directly. Cab drivers will gouge you because you are a Yankee.

Dave - if I was staying briefly in Moscow, I'd probably go with a 100/night whore who let you sleep over. It would be one I'd trusted from before hand. Hooker slumber party!

Of course, if it were me I'd just stay at Marina's apartment on her uncomfortable 15 year old foam mattress that's worn through at the center.

Originally posted by meljomur
    We just arrived in Moscow on Friday and I have already gone through a whole variety of emotions. First I thought the airport was horrible, not the best first impression for visitors and not much of a welcome home for residents.

meljomur Guest
    hopefully nobody hispanic has read your brilliant insight into airport staff...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast