littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Dolly

Hello Dolly

Russia (Moscow) is one of few countries in which the genre of operetta is still polular.

So in Moscow there is an operetta theatre in which there sometimes they perform musicals also (other "theatre agencies" rent the stage for that).

But this time the theatre itslef has decided to do that and:

My favourite Hello Dolly now is performed in Moscow. The last time it was done in 70s in one of the drama theatres (i was a child, and still remember that).

Though I and my GF had very dual emotions about the performance. we can say, it is a good entertaiment especially at long X-mas and NY hollidays, do not miss it.

what was good:

light, decoration, costumes, orchestra were brilliant

what was not very:

Dolly Levy had more academic voice (not jazz), ballet was absolutely of operetta kind.
    not only s.t happens!

I hate musicals! The last one I've enjoyed was "Hair", if that's a musical. I was dragged to absolutely every musical on Broadway in NYC by my ex. Hated every minute of it. Especially, the way they stuff you in there like sardines. I would rather spend the $150 elsewhere. Like the MSG!

W

Quote Originally Posted by GaNozri View Post
    I hate musicals! The last one I've enjoyed was "Hair", if that's a musical. I was dragged to absolutely every musical on Broadway in NYC by my ex. Hated every minute of it. Especially, the way they stuff you in there like sardines. I would rather spend the $150 elsewhere. Like the MSG!
    And you dislike Fantom of the Opera??? With that great tune?

Yes, the genre is not for all.

As for me, I can not say, i am fan of it either but some of them I enjoyed:

1. Fantom of the opera at London her majecty theatre was brilliant to my mind;
    2. Cats was so so for me (i watched it in London as well, did not see Moscow variant though my friends liked it (they were together with their children);
    3. Chicago was my favourite;
    4. Notre Damme de Paris (Moscow variant) was liked by me and I watched it 3 times with great pleasure (Paris variant was absolutely the same, but in French + the consert hall was too big and not comfortable);
    5. Mamma Mia (Moscow) was horrible;
    6. Jesus Christ Superstar - dual emotions (more negative);
    7. Count Monte Christo (Moscow) - far way from good, but good try;
    8. Hello Dolly- dual emotion but more positive (may be because of connection with my childhood memory).
    not only s.t happens!

W

Mamma Mia in London (i.e. original version) is great and forever.
    It's enthralling and amazing! People feel high in the end standing up and starting to sing along and dance!
    Been there 5 times which is not enough yet!

Actually, Phantom of the Opera was the first musical I saw on Broadway. I expected much more from it to be honest. Very dissapointing. The only musical I enjoyed was The Soundof Music. It was the last performance by Julie Andrews before her surgery.

Oh, yes! I wathed only movie version, the music is brilliant.
    not only s.t happens!

W

Quote Originally Posted by GaNozri View Post
    Actually, Phantom of the Opera was the first musical I saw on Broadway. I expected much more from it to be honest. Very dissapointing. The only musical I enjoyed was The Soundof Music. It was the last performance by Julie Andrews before her surgery.
    Oh yes, it happens. Sometimes we expect smth we just imagine and a real thing doesn't live up to our expectations... ;-(
    Still, the music is spell-binding!

Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think it was Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, she was definitely in Victor/Victoria. Can't remember who was in the S of M. Maybe it was her...

Anyways, I was very lucky to see her last performance. She had a great voice, unfortunately, she needed throat surgery.

She was in the movie exactly.
    not only s.t happens!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAuitCr-omA"]YouTube- Barbra Streisand in "Hello Dolly"[/nomedia]
    not only s.t happens!

Carbo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post
    Russia (Moscow) is one of few countries in which the genre of operetta is still polular.

So in Moscow there is an operetta theatre in which there sometimes they perform musicals also (other "theatre agencies" rent the stage for that).

But this time the theatre itslef has decided to do that and:

My favourite Hello Dolly now is performed in Moscow. The last time it was done in 70s in one of the drama theatres (i was a child, and still remember that).

Though I and my GF had very dual emotions about the performance. we can say, it is a good entertaiment especially at long X-mas and NY hollidays, do not miss it.

what was good:

light, decoration, costumes, orchestra were brilliant

what was not very:

Dolly Levy had more academic voice (not jazz), ballet was absolutely of operetta kind.
    Where is Hello dolly being performed in Moscow?

Could you let me know? I'd like to take my girlfriend to see that.

"Hello, Dolly" is perfromed by and in the operetta theatre in Moscow.

The address of it is Bolshaya Dmitrovka street, 6 (Metro Teatralnaya).

" "- .

That is a site in Russian, unfortunatley.
    not only s.t happens!

Carbo Guest
    Is it sung and acted in the original English?

Or is it a Russian adaptation?

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Is it sung and acted in the original English?

Or is it a Russian adaptation?
    It is performed in Russian (due that is for russian audience) but if you know the story, it will be easy to get pleasure out of the musical.
    not only s.t happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast