littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Old Russia/USSR

kiki is offline .....A Civilization gone with the wind....

Old Russia/USSR

Nice old Soviet times.......
    With no regrets I still have good memories about it (((( Anybody willing to share?

allice Guest
    the NICE babuskas у подъездов gossiping, elderly men listening to radio and playing chess outside... 13yearolds who are still virgins... very green suburbs... kasha na zavtrak..

елки зеленые
    детство блин.. восьмидесятые
    cheezy love songs

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Well, I was never there, but I believe there was a real sense of community. Saw so much of it in the provinces, though.... is it true that provincial Russian families rarely move from a kvartera and may stay there - along with their neighbours - for all their lives ??

Cosmopolitanland(has nothing to do with the magazine)
    yes Dave, fortunately or unfortunately it is true
    Be yourself, no matter what they say.

DaveUK1965 Guest
    :-)

Ledka, I think that`s fortunate. ;-)))) I was part of the last generation where that happened in England. There really was a sense of community around here.

This is why I love Russia so much. It`s me going back to my childhood. ;-))) Strange as it may seem, I think there are a lot of things which are so much better in Russia than in England. And a lot worse things, too. ;-)))

Well, my ex-fiancee`s parents used to talk about the old Soviet days - when they were much happier. It seems to me that the Kryuschev/ Brezhnev years were happy ones for the majority of Russian people...... am I right ??

Originally posted by Ledka
    yes Dave, fortunately or unfortunately it is true

Dave, cmon, don't be so naive.

People moan about today's life only because they need to work hard these days to earn living. Back then you did not needto wrok. You needed to attain yr workplace but yr salary was guaranteed. As the result virtually nobody produced anything in this country.

It is all b***s about community. You had JEK, party committee, veteran committee and lots of other f*** committees who had the right to enter yr flat without any warrants and check what the hell you are doing there. One has had to be attached to the workplace. If not - jail, or they were kicked out of the flat they lived in and actually their right to live in their own city could have been withdrawn.

People born in the country side started receiving passports after war. They were oficially slaves in the own country.

Physologically, it's understandable, people always want their youth back, but to take it seriously...

And in Bratain, it was a lovely sense of community in 60-70th Britain. But toilets in a lot fo Vistorian houses were outside even in the middle 70th and there was no hot water or heating.

Give us a break.

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Heheeee !

Not naieve, Bibliofil - "the old days always look better". ;-) There seems to be still the same sense of community in provincial Russia now - maybe I`m wrong, I don`t know - but - well, over here, now, unaffordable housing, no one knows their neighbours any more, gangs of kids roaming the streets, collapsed health service, public transport a disaster, unaffordable health insurance, unaffordable car insurance, traffic gridlock....... permanent rain and our national football team is a disgrace. ;-))

Bring back outside toilets. ;-))) Oh yes, and the 1960`s / 70`s in general. ;-)))) Sometimes taking a crap out of doors is the least of your worries. ;-)))

Dave ;-))))

Originally posted by bibliofil
    Dave, cmon, don't be so naive.

People moan about today's life only because they need to work hard these days to earn living. Back then you did not needto wrok. You needed to attain yr workplace but yr salary was guaranteed. As the result virtually nobody produced anything in this country.

It is all b***s about community. You had JEK, party committee, veteran committee and lots of other f*** committees who had the right to enter yr flat without any warrants and check what the hell you are doing there. One has had to be attached to the workplace. If not - jail, or they were kicked out of the flat they lived in and actually their right to live in their own city could have been withdrawn.

People born in the country side started receiving passports after war. They were oficially slaves in the own country.

Physologically, it's understandable, people always want their youth back, but to take it seriously...

And in Bratain, it was a lovely sense of community in 60-70th Britain. But toilets in a lot fo Vistorian houses were outside even in the middle 70th and there was no hot water or heating.

Give us a break.

wwwoland is offline But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game
    I happened to be in Moscow in the late 80s. Things were bad. The soviet system was collapsing, no food in the stores, long lines, grey, dark and dirty city, and worst of all Gorby was on his anti-alcohol campaign! But still, life was simple and there was a great deal of enjoyment in that. Despite the hardships, we had a wonderful time, good friends and lots of fun. Of course looking back it is always easier to forget the bad and remember the good...
    Nikogda ne razgovarivaite s neizvestnymi...

kiki is offline .....A Civilization gone with the wind....
    Well, I remember first MCDonald opened at Ul. Gorkogo (now Tverskaya) in 1989. Queue to get in was unbelievebly long, 3-4 hours.
    Average russian salary was around 100-150 rub a month and my favourite BigMack cost 10 rub on that time!!!

M. Romanov Guest

A new Russia?

I hope, in my heart, that a new Russia will include the beautiful influences of the old monarchy. Russia and Russians need to have a sense of belonging to a history other than the fear and betrayal of murderers like Lenin and Stalin who together caused the murder of over 20 million people in the 1040s. I believe that a Holy Mother Russia needs to be re-established to save the soul of our country and its people.

I agree

Romanov..I agree with you COMPLETELY!!!

DaveUK1965 Guest

Re: A new Russia?

"I hope, in my heart, that a new Russia will include the beautiful influences of the old monarchy."

Wooo boy. Like the Tsar dissolving Parliament time after time after time because it didn`t agree with him ?????

Yes, I'm for the return of the monarchy and revival of Holy Mother Russia. It's fall was one of history's great tragedies.

As to the Sovki who talk about the Soviet Union raising education standards I always wonder how this was achieved in about 1923 with a civil war in between? The last Tsar had to be one of the most decent rulers the country had and in the last decade the country was making good progress....tragic that it was cut short.

DaveUK1965 Guest
    Ned, I`d be for the return of the Monarchy now, and the proper revival of the Church, but as for Nick II... he was a lot better than what came afterwards, but..... he wasn`t exactly a model ruler.

Just one thing - I can remember somewhere that there WERE still surviving Romanov`s with a possible chance of getting their old jobs back - how popular an idea is this in Russia, then ???

twaj Guest
    Alexander II was the one and only Czar I liked - he seemed to be the only one that cared about anyone. The guy died when some dynamiters attacked his carriage in Piter. The carriage was actually blast proof, but his carriage driver was badly injured and he rushed out to help him and was blown away by dynamiter #2. When he died, he was in the process of transitioning power to a parliament, and if he had lived, Russia might have become a constitutional monarchy and millions might have been spared.

I attended a Christian fundamentalist Liberal Arts college. Everyone was required to stay in the dormitories and men were not allowed in the women's buildings except during supervised intervisitation hours on the weekends. It was effectively totalitarian - you could get kicked out of school for having sex and were socially ostracised for being an atheist as I was. In all reality I should have transfered, but we were so brainwashed with doctrinal nonsense that we thought the place had a great reputation. The upside was that you could leave your laptop computer in a bag in the lobby of the cafeteria without fear of it being stolen, and almost nobody locked their doors. The campus ws aesthetically perfect. People like me can't handle such environments - it made me a libertine.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast