littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: cultural differences and customs

cultural differences and customs

i will be moving to russia next month. i went to moscow in agust to meet someone and it was better than expected. My question is can anyone tell me some small cultural differences? here is an example: The empty bottle not being on the table. I think if i forget to take the empty wine bottle off the table one more time, the lady is going to hit me with it. that is what i am asking.

is there any small traditions that you have encounterd that we have no idea about in the west?

Empty Bottle of the table is considered that it leads to absence of money in future!

Another things you must not do at the table is:

1.whistle (it leads to absence of money as well);
    2. to spill salt (you will quarrel with a partner);

not only s.t happens!

That was what my now Russian wife told me. If you finish and put an empty bottle of wine or beer on the table you will be poor for the rest of your life. You pit it on the floor. Other common traditions. Don't give a dozen red Roses to a Russian, give them thirteen. Same as don't give thirteen roses to an English women as she find it unlucky, but she would be happy with the traditional dozen. BUT NOT A RUSSIAN WOMAN. as she may consider it related to death.

And when going out, and you forgot to say something, don,t talk to her on the threshold, as you must walk straight out. If you don't, you will never return again.

Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post

The reason people started tossing salt over their left shoulders is because they believed the devil would sneak up on you from the left side. Throwing salt over your left shoulder is something you do to prevent something bad from happening after spilling it.

Life is tough pilgrim, it's even tougher if you're stupid

Judas is said to have spilt salt at the Last Supper, and we all know what happened next to him and his host.
    Last edited by MickeyTong; 20-10-2009 at 00:14.
    Life is not what you make of it. You are what Life makes of you.

Quote Originally Posted by tvadim133 View Post
    Empty Bottle of the table is considered that it leads to absence of money in future!

You beat me to it by three minutes. You see we don't often disagree.If you spill salt you must pick it up and toss it over your left shoulder. However I only know that as English tradition, but not sure about Russian, but probably the same.

it is really the same....
    not only s.t happens!

of course. posts are moving so fast here that we don't see the previous post. It means we are thinking the same wavelength.

Always take your shoes off when entering somEones home. When you leave the house, look like your dogs died and you will fit in. When in a shop do not bother to ask the shop assistant for customer service as it may offend. She is there not to help you, but, to frown.
    Carry a man bag.
    Do not expect the pavement to be for pedestrIan use. Cars are more important than humans.
    Line? What line?
    If they feel like pushing in, they will.
    Say hello to stamps. They are overworked here. Perhaps one of the most working things in Russia.

We are speaking rather of superstitions than traditions now. The one I usually try to observe is: if I leave home and forget to take smth with me and have to return, then I must look at myself into the mirror. Otherwise returning will bring bad luck. It can be compared with the superstition that if someone stumbles on his/ her way, it will bring bad luck and the things he/ she has planned will not be a success.
    festina lente

There is the tradition here that if your friends glass is empty at the bar by him or her the next 4 drinks free, smile and offer to help them in anyway you can.

If you don't bad luck will happen to you for the next 30 days. I think this comes from the far regions of Russia and dates back about 200 years.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    There is the tradition here that if your friends glass is empty at the bar by him or her the next 4 drinks free, smile and offer to help them in anyway you can.

If you don't bad luck will happen to you for the next 30 days. I think this comes from the far regions of Russia and dates back about 200 years.

Never heard about such kind of tradition........
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by dlc7474 View Post
    i will be moving to russia next month. i went to moscow in agust to meet someone and it was better than expected. My question is can anyone tell me some small cultural differences? here is an example: The empty bottle not being on the table. I think if i forget to take the empty wine bottle off the table one more time, the lady is going to hit me with it. that is what i am asking.

is there any small traditions that you have encounterd that we have no idea about in the west?
    This one is rather old - Never carry empty bucket! This means no luck during the day for those who you'll meet on your way. If you have to - just cover it with something or put something into it. Possible consequences - you're going to get hit with it or you'll hear cursing words!

This is true to some small towns in Ukraine where I come from. I am not sure they keep that tradition here in Moscow, but I don't gamble on this one...
    In Guus We Trust

It exists... + then let's get remembered black cat crossing your road and birds knocking your window or penetrating into the house (flat) + broken mirrow.

What else, nothing can come on my mind.... oh, to stand somebody's leg (to quarrel).

Never trow rubbish in the night (money trouble).....
    not only s.t happens!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast