littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vdnh?

Vdnh?

my first post, guys and gals.. i've been recently to the VDNH exhibition as i've always to see those golden statutes around the big fountain. i took a shot of one of the statutes. btw, i counted 16 golden beauties each representing a Soviet republic. but there were 15 republics, if my memory serves me right. anyway, i am a layman in history and i will post a pic once i accumulate enough points..)

would you mind sharing your pictures of VDNH as well?

Hi, Toro! Welcome to the forum!

I have lived near VDNKh since childhood, and it is really great to hear about your interest to this location. BTW: why are you interested exactly in it? Do you also like the sculpture of the Worker and the Collective Farm Woman (Rabochiy i Kolkhoznitsa) by Vera Mukhina?

I have some pictures at my home computer, will try to download them a bit later.

It's a good question reg. 16 figures and 15 republics. Puzzles myself. Maybe the 16th is some symbol? Will have to do some research on that!
    festina lente

There were Fifteen republics, plus Mongolia, which is also represented on the fountain, so 16 in all. Here is one of my pictures:
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/seriykotik/155473617/in/set-72157594424153239/"]Fountain of the friendship of peoples on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/155473617_8bbf39d2cc_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@155473617@@AMEPARAM@@8bbf39d2cc[/ame]

I haven't seen Vera Mukhina's statue for several years- is it back in place yet?

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/seriykotik/110376306/in/set-72157594424153239/"]Factory worker and Collective farmer on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm1.static.flickr.com/50/110376306_36653191fa_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@110376306@@AMEPARAM@@36653191fa[/ame]

If you want to see more of her work have a look at the clulpture in Парк Дружбы, near Речной Вокзал.

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/seriykotik/97849471/in/set-72157594424153239/"]ХЛЕБ on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm1.static.flickr.com/33/97849471_50dd0c613f_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@97849471@@AMEPARAM@@50dd0c613f[/ame]
    Last edited by Ian G; 14-10-2009 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Toro View Post
    my first post, guys and gals.. i've been recently to the VDNH exhibition as i've always to see those golden statutes around the big fountain. i took a shot of one of the statutes. btw, i counted 16 golden beauties each representing a Soviet republic. but there were 15 republics, if my memory serves me right. anyway, i am a layman in history and i will post a pic once i accumulate enough points..)

would you mind sharing your pictures of VDNH as well?
    the 16th statue is Karelo-Finnskaya ASSR which is was in USSR for a short period of time.
    not only s.t happens!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
    I haven't seen Vera Mukhina's statue for several years- is it back in place yet?
    It was dismantled for repair but should reappear soon (do not know when exactly). It depends on when the topic starter became interested in VDNKh - before the statue was removed or not.
    festina lente

Moskauerin- yes, it's one of those things that gets postponed, and postponed, and postponed. Maybe they have lost some vital parts. :-(

tvadim133- I expect you're right about Finnish Karelia- I can't remember where I heard that the 16th statue represented Mongolia.

Ian, I keep an eye on publications in the local newspaper, and it really gets postponed, but the latest news of reappearance was very convincing. We still hope...

Frankly speaking, I did not like the statue much when it was there. Especially because I was often travelling past it in a crowded bus in a traffic jam, and it somehow depressed me with it grey mass of metal. But then I read a lot about its history and what a great success it was at the world exhibition in Paris, and I came to like it.

Reg. the 16th statue: it has come to my mind that it might be Evreyskaya Avtonomnaya oblast' (Jewish Autonomous Region) that was founded in the early Soviet years in Siberia, but not sure.
    festina lente

Here are some pictures as promised. Sorry, they are almost all with myself.
    festina lente

You say "potato." I say "vodka."

million thanks, everyone. especially, for your photos. i must admit i learnt something new here! that Karelia was a Soviet republic..i bet i would have trouble naming them all, let alone Karelia. sounds like Stalin had a secret plan and it was close to Finland..anyway, i do wish to come to this amazing place again, hadnt had a chance to see Muhina's, sorry.

My interests are plain and basic: learn more about the Soviet history, there is abundance of material over there, just come out and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Moskauerin View Post
    Here are some pictures as promised. Sorry, they are almost all with myself.
    wonderful photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Moskauerin View Post
    Reg. the 16th statue: it has come to my mind that it might be Evreyskaya Avtonomnaya oblast' (Jewish Autonomous Region) that was founded in the early Soviet years in Siberia, but not sure.

Surely it is Finland which used to be part of the Russian Empire from 1809 till 1917. On 6 December 1917 it proclamed its independence and was recognised by the USSR as its autonomous region. After the World War II, in which Finland supported Nazi Germany, the country had to pay a contribution to the USSR and lost some of its territory including Karelia.

i figured out the statue representing Russia. initially, i thought she was Ukraine

Possibly, yes. You will know the statues and their corresponding republics better than us, local people, here. Russian and Ukrainian national costumes, especially for women, should look very much similar. Your post has made me curious what actually may be the difference. Will have to look it up in a book on the history of costumes at my parents' today.
    festina lente

Trivia

Here's a bit of trivia (photo lifted from Wikipedia): anyone know where this statue was located (apparently somewhere at VDNKh) ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast