littleangels        English Nanny
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Going to study in Russia

Hi all,
    First time posting here, so a quick hello to everyone first.

I am an American going to study medicine in Russia. I have BS/BM and now it is time for me to branch out and to do what I truly would love to do. I will be studying at the Pavlov medical academy in SPB in the English medium.
    I do speak Russian. My wife is Russian, I lived in SPB for 3 years, 3 years ago.
    As to the concern about Johan's choice of medical studies in Russia, please set aside your concerns as the top five medical schools in Russia (even in the English medium) are recognized by the WHO (world heath organization), the governing body that accredits and recognizes all foreign MDs.
    Although some of you might ask why anyone would choose to study in Russia if funds are not an issue, please consider, funds are always an issue. I have a 3.87GPA, and my MCAT was 29 (10/9/10). My scores are competitive with American medical schools, but the thought of after four years owing more than half a million dollars is somewhat mind boggling. Instead, one can attend a Russian university and spend only 6k per year on tuition and receive the same MD, but it will take longer to do so.

Johan, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to assist you in any way possible.

If anyone would like the links to any of the information I have provided I will be more than happy to post them, after all, inquiring minds are always inquiring.

Best wishes, and nice to meet you all,
    devin

Quote Originally Posted by Ihealpeople View Post
    Hi all,
    First time posting here, so a quick hello to everyone first.

I am an American going to study medicine in Russia. I have BS/BM and now it is time for me to branch out and to do what I truly would love to do. I will be studying at the Pavlov medical academy in SPB in the English medium.
    I do speak Russian. My wife is Russian, I lived in SPB for 3 years, 3 years ago.
    As to the concern about Johan's choice of medical studies in Russia, please set aside your concerns as the top five medical schools in Russia (even in the English medium) are recognized by the WHO (world heath organization), the governing body that accredits and recognizes all foreign MDs.
    Although some of you might ask why anyone would choose to study in Russia if funds are not an issue, please consider, funds are always an issue. I have a 3.87GPA, and my MCAT was 29 (10/9/10). My scores are competitive with American medical schools, but the thought of after four years owing more than half a million dollars is somewhat mind boggling. Instead, one can attend a Russian university and spend only 6k per year on tuition and receive the same MD, but it will take longer to do so.

Johan, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to assist you in any way possible.

If anyone would like the links to any of the information I have provided I will be more than happy to post them, after all, inquiring minds are always inquiring.

Best wishes, and nice to meet you all,
    devin
    When do you intend to start? Next year?
    I sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by haghj00 View Post
    When do you intend to start? Next year?
    I sent you a PM.
    Johan,

I'll be starting in 2010. My wife on the other hand will start this January (late) in the preparatory course (as is required for all non native English speakers), but she has special permission to do so on account that she has a linguistics degree from SPB state university and thus, they believe that she can speak some English already. lols

Quote Originally Posted by Ihealpeople View Post
    Johan,

I'll be starting in 2010. My wife on the other hand will start this January (late) in the preparatory course (as is required for all non native English speakers), but she has special permission to do so on account that she has a linguistics degree from SPB state university and thus, they believe that she can speak some English already. lols
    Haha, you are american right? Sorry a bit hangover today.
    How come you went to PSB a few years ago? Because of your wife or what?

Interesting! Pre-med is one year isnt it? Or is it 6 months?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GaNozri View Post
    UK will probably be a problem, just coz they're snobs. They'll hire doctors from India or Pakistan, before Russian or Polish, just because they consider the Indians to be "tame barbarians".
    Hi!

From the beggining I do not know the subject in depths. But there was an agreement between India in Russia in the past for students, and many many Indians were studying particularly medicine in Russia, and many of them work in Uk. Though of course Indians might have a little easier way to do that in UK.

I also have met TWO former USSR dorctors working in English hospitals.

I think studying medicine abroad is a good idea. So many Americans study medicine in Central America, Central Europe and in the Carribbean, just because the tuition is a lot cheaper and the programs are just as rigorous and as qualified as several medical programs in the U.S. To get accredited back in the U.S., most of these doctors, dentists and vets simply have to apply for a 1-2 year long program offered through certain universities, do an internship and take some state board exams and other exams. No, problem if you have completed a full medical program abroad. If you are interested in a Russian medical program then you should go ahead and apply for one. If you find that you don't enjoy the program or that for some reason it just is not what you expected it to be, then at least you tried and you will certainly have a unique experience in comparison to so many others. A lot of people also thought I was crazy to study Russian and to come and live here, but my Russian skills have come in handy in several countries and have opened a lot of business opportunities for me. Good luck to you!

Hi!

And you have studied just the language or something more specific in Russia?

What field do you work in?
    not only s.t happens!

To study in Russia first of course you need Russian! to improve your Russian or even to start learning it from scratch it is a great idea to visit some language school. For instance, Russian Language school "Enjoy Russian" situated in Karelia, Russia. The region borders the EU so it won't be a big problem to reach us. The school is very popular among foreign students as the program is very flexible and efficient. The sudying in our school implies cultural programs as well and the full language immersion. So even you don't speak Russian at all, soon you'll be able to speak yourself and understand others. More info at Russian Language School Enjoy Russian
    we'll be glad to welcome you in summer and offer various summer language courses

I can offer some anecdotal experience on the topic.

I have a good friend, a surgeon at a podmuscovy hospital about 4-5 years out of medical training. I've spent a good chunk of time at the hospital and come to know lots of doctors there. They are great people and most I would trust completely with my care, but it is quite clear that most have not had access to many modern techniques and equipment, and none of them can speak more than very basic English. The hours and workload are brutal (frequent back-to-back 24-hour shifts and constantly oncall, my friend's mobile never stops ringing), although it is the same for my physician acquaintences in the US, but unlike in the US, the pay is absolutely abyssmal. For comparison, bus drivers in the US make more. My friend is constantly short on money and still has not been able to take his dream holiday abroad.

This friend expressed an strong interst to immigrate to the USA, so we looked at the process. Not so difficult due to the physician shortage in the US. He would need to pass English tests and a 3-stage medical certification exam. A couple things have struck me as we have explored this together. 1) For his English tutoring we looked at some medical articles (I work at a university with a medical school, so I picked a few with general topics and written without complicated grammatical structures). Each of these articles introduced him to some new "modern" concept which he quickly was disseminated to and subsequently utilized by him and his colleagues. It seems that in Russia they simply don't have much access to international medical literature. 2) Upon reviewing some sample exam questions, my friend honestly did not know the answer to many. It turns out, language was not a siginificant barrier in this area since the latin-based vocabulary is almost identical, but knowledge was!

I think you probably know this already but ... some things to keep in mind, for what it's worth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234