littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Skype on ISP Stream.ru

Skype on ISP Stream.ru

Just moved from Avax.ru to Stream.ru. Somehow 9/10 times Skype sound in is crap and sound out is bad most of the time too. I did not have this issues with Avax.ru. So I am thinking it might be a router or wireless box issue.
    I now use a Fonera wireless router on 192.168.10.1/ + a ZTE DLS router on 192.168.1.1. I changed the password on the ZTE for security reasons and successfully setup port forwarding for torrents.
    Does a regular Stream setup require port forwarding for Skype to work? Or is there a problem with Skype and Stream in general?

Quote Originally Posted by rhand View Post
    Just moved from Avax.ru to Stream.ru. Somehow 9/10 times Skype sound in is crap and sound out is bad most of the time too. I did not have this issues with Avax.ru. So I am thinking it might be a router or wireless box issue.
    I now use a Fonera wireless router on 192.168.10.1/ + a ZTE DLS router on 192.168.1.1. I changed the password on the ZTE for security reasons and successfully setup port forwarding for torrents.
    Does a regular Stream setup require port forwarding for Skype to work? Or is there a problem with Skype and Stream in general?
    what was type of internet connection on avax.ru ?
    ADSL cable ethernet ?
    Did you keep devices same when you move Stream ?

I use Stream and Skype already 4 years. With 4096/768 speed everything works OK, but I have only cabled connections with D-Link DSL-300T and ASUS wl 500g router with WiFi disabled.

Wow Its great.

Sorry for my late reply. Been at it myself for a while and was busy fixing websites and databases...

Quote Originally Posted by OuterSpace View Post
    what was type of internet connection on avax.ru ?
    ADSL cable ethernet ?
    Local Lan on different cable. They drilled a special hole through the outer wall to let it in. It goes to the roof I believe... and from there somewhere..
    Quote Originally Posted by OuterSpace View Post
    Did you keep devices same when you move Stream ?
    No. I used a Dlink Wireless router for Avax and now a special ZTE router and Fonera wireless box for Stream. I forwarded ports correctly for Utorrent, but somehow Skype calls are messed up. Skype chat is fine and people can here me.. I just here tiny fragments of what they here.
    Even now that I forwarded ports for Skype things have not improved. Stream goes via the standard telephone line btw. Unlike Avax that uses a different lan cable/ lan network in our building.
    Last edited by rhand; 25-09-2009 at 10:24. Reason: fixed errors

are you sure you don't have uTorrent uploading files when you use Skype? Stream has very limited upload bandwidth, so maybe it's the reason

Stream (ADSL) works on telephony lines and as you might know that infrastructure mostly crap here in Russia.Poor skype quality reason it might be.

i prefer everytime lan cable connection (if it is possible ) comparing ADSL connection option..

Don't know about avax.ru but stream.ru is crap. hopefully, will be switching from them anytime soon.
    Life is a Journey. Family is a Trip!