littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: Trouble Staying Asleep - Advice Needed

the Patient Guest

Trouble Staying Asleep - Advice Needed

Ever since it started get cold and not much light, I get up often around 0400 and cannot to get back to sleep. Then I stay tired whole day. I am not want to use sleep pills - is anything else to do? Will alcohol before bed help or make worse?
    Am under much stress - is that part of problem? Bedroom is hot enough - problem not from cold.

Thank you!

Alcohol will not help - it may send you to sleep, but will not help you sleep well.

Camomile tea helps some people.

More exercise, maybe more fresh air in the bedroom.

Acupuncture can also help.

Which brings us back to "where can I find a good acupuncturist?" BTW, 4 a.m is supposed to be "worriers'" time to wake up, so stress appears to be the factor here......
    "He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."

hey - about the acupunturist - i'm a phonecall away from getting a contact number that i will post for everyone!

regarding alcohol and sleep? remember the words of grandmaster flash and the fabulous five and DON'T DO IT!
    you will sleep poorly and possibly have night sweats and/or really freaking effed up dreams.
    try melatonin or an "uspokaivayushi" liquid to mix with water.
    stress will do it to you. try to clear your mind. maybe take a brisk walk in the evening soon before you go to bed (i'd do that but i'm too lazy).
    never believe anything until it has been officially denied

Shatneresque is offline Baldly going where no man has gone before....
    A few questions:

How old are you? What sort of work do you do? Are you married? Is this your first winter here? Have you had trouble sleeping before this? Do you have trouble FALLING asleep? Have you changed your diet recently? Do you eat before retiring for the night? What time do you actually go to bed, and what time do you normally wake up?

Sleeping disorders can be caused by a number of things: it could be a matter of (for example) needing more exercise (so you're both mentally AND physically tired at the end of the day); stress (brought on by your job, living alone, being away from familiar surroundings, etc.); seasonal variations in daylight, temperature, food (too much fat and/or other carbs); or they may be signs of a more serious problem (e.g., diabetes or hypoglycemia), especially if you're 40 or older.

If this is your first winter here, your system could easily have been thrown out of whack by a number of things. If things like mild sedatives and relaxants, exercise, or just going to bed later don't help, suggest you see a competent doctor and have a thorough checkup.
    Last edited by Shatneresque; 02-12-2004 at 15:52.
    Kirk: That's very ... magnanimous of you!
    <<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
    Marta: Let me go! He's my lover and I must kill him!

STAR TREK:The Original Series, 1966--69
    "Whom Gods Destroy," episode #71 (Star Date 5718.3)
    First aired January 3, 1969

I agree with Surok, maybe some fresh air may help. your bedroom might be too stuffy.

Also is there anything else in your life that is stressing you - this may be causing you to wake early.

Also try and make sure you get as much natural light as possible.

Valerian is good as a herbal sleep tonic (tea is good).

Make sure you have good 'sleep hygeine'. Relax before going to bed, don't read or watch the tv, soothing drink (not alcohol - this often has the effect of causing you to wake earlier), maybe have a warm shower or bath. You need to wind down from the day.

From a conventional medicine point of view I really don't like people being prescribed sleeping pills iunless really necessary as there are often more cons than pros.
    Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

try melatonin or an "uspokaivayushi" liquid to mix with water.

Melatonin is my drug of choice but have yet to see it in the aptekas However, if you are going to take it, be sure you can sleep a good 7-8 hrs or so or you will wake feeling hungover!

Melatonin is my drug of choice
    Some swear by it, it's said to counter jet lag, but it didn't help me
    "He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."

Here's what worked for me:

No alcohol -- it is a well-known sleep disruptor

No meals within 2 hours of going to bed

At least a 20 minute brisk walk during the day

And, sometimes 2 aspirin help but if above 3 are done, sleep should last all night and you should feel rested the next day.

Lay off them narcotics, *****! That shit done made you null and void!

Re: Trouble Staying Asleep - Advice Needed

Originally posted by the Patient
    Am under much stress - is that part of problem?
    Bingo!!! You got it. I assume that the advice to reduce the level of stress in your life will be ignored, therefore, as an ex-stress-case myself, I propose the following:

1. Do take a long warm shower
    2. Do not smoke (if you do) at least one hour before going to bed
    3. No caffeine after 6 pm
    4. Make sure your bed is completely comfortable
    5. Think of anything else that you might consider interesting (vacation, girls, guns, etc), but not about the stuff that causes you to be stressed

7 times out of 10 you'll sleep well.

If that does not help - try to change your attitude towards the events. Go to a zen sitting (serious, that helps), take yoga classes. The latter advice is for when stress level gets clinical.
    Respect my authoritaaaaa !!!!