littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Offered Job in Moscow can I survive on 32k Rubles a month?

Offered Job in Moscow can I survive on 32k Rubles a month?

I have been offered a job in Moscow. Compensation for the job is approximately 32000 rubles a month, plus a small apartment.
    I have one child who will be attending school there. As part of the compensation I will receive, her education will be paid for.

So basically, I don't have to pay rent. I will be responsible for food, transportation costs ( no car), medical, clothing, utilities and internet.

Is this a realistic income for covering those essentials?

I could live on that, as long as the apartment and it's service charges are all inclusive and it's close to your job - but I'd want to be doing something or rather in my spare time to make a few more rubles...

W

Quote Originally Posted by DTalon View Post
    I have been offered a job in Moscow. Compensation for the job is approximately 32000 rubles a month, plus a small apartment.
    I have one child who will be attending school there. As part of the compensation I will receive, her education will be paid for.

So basically, I don't have to pay rent. I will be responsible for food, transportation costs ( no car), medical, clothing, utilities and internet.

Definitely you can cover those expenses. Don't doubt.
    Of course, no restaurants or other expensive entertainments. If you need additional info on all costs. feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by AndreyS; 15-08-2009 at 22:55.

What is 32000 roubles in English language? About 32 x 20 British ponds = 640 British pounds per month. I am sorry that is insulting for an American or Brit to want to come to Russia for. Maybe you will survive , but as a foreigner being British or American not used to the country you won,t. DON'T COME unless the offer at least triples.

In this rare case I have to disagree with Qdos.

It's going to be a bit tough in my opinion. It can be done of course, a lot of Russians do it on a lot less but much will depend on your life style.
    Do you speak any Russian? If you do you will find it easier to live cheaply.
    Do you get vacation pay and a return ticket to the states as part of the contract? If not you'll have to budget for that as well.
    Are all visa/registration and related cost included?
    You can eat reletively cheaply but you'll need to shop around and depends on you and your childs preferences.
    Good medical treatment isn't cheap in Moscow either.
    Bring clothing with you
    Utilities are not expensive.
    Not sure what internet costs these days, i'm sure someone here will be able to tell you
    Will you be able to use public transport to get to work?

You don't mention what work you're doing but i would seriously consider everything before commiting yourself. You wont be living the high life but it can ge done with shrewed budgeting.
    If there is still anyone on this site who i HAVE NOT annoyed yet, please let me know and i promise i'll get to you as soon as i can!

How on earth were were you tempted in such a lousy offer. Surely there is much more in USA somewhere. There is certainly something much better in offer in Britain. I could find you a better offer in Britain as a toilet cleaner and even better disposing garbage from homes I can offer you double. What on earth are you being offered in Russia LOL. Come on please , as I know that really you were joking. Unless you accidently forgot a few zeros.

Come to think of it, some EFL teachers have been offered this garbage.

That you can make the decision for yourself to come to Moscow to work for such a ridiculously low salary, I can accept.
    Millions of Russians have to live on an income that is less than 32kRUB, so it possible to survive.
    But being a father, why would you want your daughter to live in poverty?
    ??
    Don`t do this man!!!

I need to make an additional point here. Isn't it amazing that expats that are coming here as efl teachers etc are open about income. But look at the family section, education section , and the sections for those looking for Nannies, drivers, housekeepers. How often do these people discuss their income? All they ask is how much it might cost to educate and keep their children here, how much a fulltime driver and an armed house security guard might cost to keep their well kept house, and which also has a security guarded road for example. Is this the real expat? The ones who don't discuss if their salary is enough. And amount of salary is taboo to be discussed on internet?

Quote Originally Posted by SV1973a View Post
    That you can make the decision for yourself to come to Moscow to work for such a ridiculously low salary, I can accept.
    Millions of Russians have to live on an income that is less than 32kRUB, so it possible to survive.
    ??
    Don`t do this man!!!
    YES exactly!. Why move from a first world country to a thirld world offer. Suicide ideals perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by SV1973a View Post
    ??
    Don`t do this man!!!
    Ah sorry
    I didn't realize my query would elicit such concern.

I am the mother of this child. My husband is dead.

I have personal reasons for wanting to be in Moscow and substantial savings that I can defray expenses with. I simply wondered what basic living expenses were in the city, living a basic comfortable lifestyle.

if anyone cares to, please give me an estimate on what this costs.

We will not be going out for expensive dinners, to nightclubs, or be maintaining a car.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    It's going to be a bit tough in my opinion. It can be done of course, a lot of Russians do it on a lot less but much will depend on your life style.
    Do you speak any Russian? If you do you will find it easier to live cheaply.
    Do you get vacation pay and a return ticket to the states as part of the contract? If not you'll have to budget for that as well.
    Are all visa/registration and related cost included?
    You can eat reletively cheaply but you'll need to shop around and depends on you and your childs preferences.
    Good medical treatment isn't cheap in Moscow either.
    Bring clothing with you
    Utilities are not expensive.
    Not sure what internet costs these days, i'm sure someone here will be able to tell you
    Will you be able to use public transport to get to work?

You don't mention what work you're doing but i would seriously consider everything before commiting yourself. You wont be living the high life but it can ge done with shrewed budgeting.

So he wants to travel and spend a good part of his life with veryshrewd budgeting.

Why?????

my best wishes

It is not so easy to survive at the same time you cant tell its impossible.
    My best wishes to you

I suppose it helps.You are a Mother of a child? How old? Are you originally Russian? Do you speak Russian? Does your child speak Russian?

All this helps in the respect of your Budjet. If it is all positive then your budjet will be lower.

Hi Newbie,
    just a little comment how I make life here in Moscow. I like trying to find good cheap markets, possibilities to buy food and other stuff for good prices. But I cannot say that the advantages of living in Moscow are so many. Honestly: If I wouldn`t have the money to enjoy life here and to be able to realise my hobbys like swimming, fitness and tennis I woud take the first airplain and fligh back home! At the beginning maybe u don`t feel so depend on these things, but when u realise that you are really limitated in your aktivities u think twice if living in Moscow is such a good deal.
    Think twice before giving up your normal life.

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast