littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: New Passport, Visa in Old Passport...

New Passport, Visa in Old Passport...

Dear All!

I am a bit worried. I have recently got a new Passport from the Swedish embassy in Moscow. At the same time, the old passport was obliterated (holes were stamped into it...). I am now in Moscow on a 3 months business visa.

The problem is that the business Visa is in the old passport (which is not 'valid' anymore). I will return to Sweden on 21st of May, the last day of the 3-months Visa.

Can I expect any problems when trying to leave the country, like, that they claim that my Visa is not valid since it is associated with the old passport?

Do I have to transfer the Visa to the new passport before I leave Russia?

Thanks in advance!
    Karl

Need to transfer visa

You should contact the Federal Migration Service and have them issue a visa/exit permit in your new passport.

Quote Originally Posted by kallemo View Post
    Dear All!

I am a bit worried. I have recently got a new Passport from the Swedish embassy in Moscow. At the same time, the old passport was obliterated (holes were stamped into it...). I am now in Moscow on a 3 months business visa.

The problem is that the business Visa is in the old passport (which is not 'valid' anymore). I will return to Sweden on 21st of May, the last day of the 3-months Visa.

Can I expect any problems when trying to leave the country, like, that they claim that my Visa is not valid since it is associated with the old passport?

Do I have to transfer the Visa to the new passport before I leave Russia?

Thanks in advance!
    Karl
    Yes you have to transfer the visa into the new passport. I did that, I was told to. This is almost the only country in the world that doesn't accept old valid visas in old passports.

Judge is offline kiss my shiny metal ........
    The above two posters are right.A mate was in the same situation and didn't transfer the visa,the guys at the border didn't let him leave Russia.