littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Samara

Visiting Samara

Hi, my partner and I are thinking of visiting Samara for the May holiday, have been very impressed by the excellent write-up given here. Was wondering if any of the Samara residents could give us an idea of good places to stay, eat, visit, wander etc. Would be much appreciated, cheers.

Samara is still a 'restricted city' as regards visa registration, so a good idea is to actually register yourself for 90 days in Moscow or another major city as a precautionary measure before travelling on to Samara.

Visitng Samara

Quote Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
    Samara is still a 'restricted city' as regards visa registration, so a good idea is to actually register yourself for 90 days in Moscow or another major city as a precautionary measure before travelling on to Samara.
    I cannot agree with this statement . Samara was a restricted city a long time ago but is not so and hassregistration there. I also incited many people from Ireland and England there and never encountered any problems. My only adcixe to anyone wanting to visit Samara is to wait until perhaps the next holiday as it has a jewel of a beach in the centre of the city abd i have many good memories of long summer evenings spent there watching the local "wildliife" There is a good social life there and many interesting locations to visit -- such as Stalin's Bunker -- the biggest and depest they say and the wonderful Jigulevsky brewery restaurant. Samara has an interesting atmosphere and if you give me some more idea of what type of tourist you are i can perhaps advise you better

Quote Originally Posted by polobrion View Post
    I cannot agree with this statement...
    Well I certainly could last November when I tried registering my 12 months MEBV type visa there; it was quasi-impossible to do it unless you paid for a hotel.

That said, if you already have Moscow registration and you're stopped by the militia in Samara and you claim to have just arrived there's not much they can do about it - unless the same militia see you a few days later and find you still have no registration.

Trick is never keep your train/air tickets with your passport, and just tell the cops you got a ride with a friend who was travelling further afield and dropped you in Samara on his way through.

Most visa agencies still list Samara as an awkward place for registration; and my experience suggests they are actually correct to do so

Larry Paradine is offline Incompetent wizard, frantically calculating how many of his seven plus one lives are left
    I think I'm qualified to comment on this, as I've spent at least four of the last eight years living and working in Samara. It's as "open" as any other city in Russia, and a lot more so than cities that still have important military industries. The cosmonauts' university and the (perennially closed pending unspecified repairs) cosmonauts' museum (easily recognisable as it's beneath a real, though surplus to requirements, rocket erected at the junction of Проспект Ленина and улица Новосадовая,)are prominent reminders of the far off days when г. Kуибышев ( as Samara was known in Soviet days) was the centre of the Soviet space and strategic missiles programmes, and was out of bounds to foreign and casual Soviet visitors alike. Qdos, if you had a hard time registering in Samara, there could be innumerable reasons, but a residual concern with security isn't one of them (unless you said or did something that caused the local ФСБ to get windy).

well, we are registered on business visa's in moscow, so i wouldn't think it would be a problem there. we were just going to hop on a train and meander our way down there since we have a few days spare. i seem to be pretty good at avoiding trouble with the militia so far. we were just wondering about places to stay and the like. maybe it would be a good idea to go later in the year, summer days on the beaches do sound good! :-D

we were just going to hop on a train and meander our way down there - Samara is nice city... BTW I was quite excited by their train station (vokzal) - for Russia it looks quite futuristic... But you can also fly there from either SVO (Sheremetyevo) or DME (Domodedovo) airports of Moscow.

we were just wondering about places to stay and the like. - well... I've been to Samara a couple of times and stayd at Europe hotel "Европа", гостиница (Самара). ( The Europe Samara Hotel. ) and Rossiya hotel "Россия" - гостиница в Самаре . First one looks better both inside and outside as same as service level and food, but second has better view to Volga river (if you resistant to feel Soviet Union service level - stay here ).

But it's all bu****it... The main treasure of city are gills. I must say - here is VERY wealthy city Just make a cruise over streets and embankment...

And, if you like real beer - obviously visit "У Вакано" ( U Vakano ) - beer restaurant just in Samara brewery.
    http://www.samarabeer.ru/map2/
    Last edited by FatAndy; 01-05-2009 at 22:03.

Its a while since I was in Samara....but no probs with permits etc (I was on business).

Stayed at that hotel right by the Volga. It was an old Soviet style job with really sh*t furniture / decorations in the room. But what I remember most was waking up and pulling back the rags (curtains) at 6am to look out over the Volga with the sun coming up. Just brilliant. No wonder the Russians sing and write so much about their rivers....

Have a good trip. It's a nice city.

Larry Paradine is offline Incompetent wizard, frantically calculating how many of his seven plus one lives are left
    "....the sun coming up...." Sixfoottwo, I've seen more Samara sunsets than you've had hot breakfasts, but a Samara sunrise? In all my years in Samara I never saw a sunrise, not because I couldn't get up on time but because I couldn't find a vantage point. Samara's on the wrong side of the Volga for sunrises, though the sunsets are spectacular. I admit I've never stayed in the hotel you mention (or any other hotel, barring one night in a fleapit in ул. Кубышева), but even if your room was on the top floor and facing away from the river I can't figure out where the rising sun was visible. No doubt you'll be able to provide me with a full orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Paradine View Post
    "....the sun coming up...." Sixfoottwo, I've seen more Samara sunsets than you've had hot breakfasts, but a Samara sunrise? In all my years in Samara I never saw a sunrise, not because I couldn't get up on time but because I couldn't find a vantage point. Samara's on the wrong side of the Volga for sunrises, though the sunsets are spectacular. I admit I've never stayed in the hotel you mention (or any other hotel, barring one night in a fleapit in ул. Кубышева), but even if your room was on the top floor and facing away from the river I can't figure out where the rising sun was visible. No doubt you'll be able to provide me with a full orientation.
    Yeah OK.

I was there only once..about 7 years ago.

As you know, I didn't say I actually saw the sun rise. The picture still in my mind is that of the sun shining on the river (or parts of it) and the landscape across the river from the hotel at about 6.00am. I don't remember seeing the sun itself from my room. Just the sunlight.

Happy now ? !

Thanks sixfoottwo, sorry if I came across as very pedantic.

hello everybody! I am russian and I live in Samara. I dream to find friends among english native speakers. If someone is interested in talking with me welcome.

I am American and will be in Samara for six months starting in February 2010. Let me know if you want to meet up, would love to spend time with some English speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
    Well I certainly could last November when I tried registering my 12 months MEBV type visa there; it was quasi-impossible to do it unless you paid for a hotel.

That said, if you already have Moscow registration and you're stopped by the militia in Samara and you claim to have just arrived there's not much they can do about it - unless the same militia see you a few days later and find you still have no registration.

Trick is never keep your train/air tickets with your passport, and just tell the cops you got a ride with a friend who was travelling further afield and dropped you in Samara on his way through.

Most visa agencies still list Samara as an awkward place for registration; and my experience suggests they are actually correct to do so
    Qdos, i think you'll find it's not easy to register in many Russian cities. That's certainly the case in Tyumen. Unless you have a company that can assist you or an apartment owner who will do it for you, it will be nearly impossible.
    The hotel route is one answer but you'll only get registered for a short period and it might be expensive.
    You're correct in saying that it's possible to use Moscow registration and that's what i do. Provincial cities are not like Moscow in as much as the militia hardly ever stop you on the street. I have lived in Vladivostok, Tyumen and Ufa for many years and have never been ask for my documents once.
    It can get difficult if you want to do something official like open a bank account etc. It can't be done without local registration.
    Remember also, if you register at a hotel even for a couple of days after your Moscow registration will be void.
    If there is still anyone on this site who i HAVE NOT annoyed yet, please let me know and i promise i'll get to you as soon as i can!

that'd be great! why will you come to Samara? Business? and what is your education?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast