littleangels        English Nanny

Thread: divorce from Russian citizen

divorce from Russian citizen

My dad married a russian woman in Uzbekastan two years ago. They moved to the USA shortly after that. Recently she said she was going to visit her sister in Ca. She went back to russia unbeknownst to him and the next thing he received was a form from her to sign saying she was divorcing him. The accusations she is making are completely false. Is a russian marriage legal in the usa? Can she demand monetary compensation?

Quote Originally Posted by annabelle145 View Post
    My dad married a russian woman in Uzbekastan two years ago. They moved to the USA shortly after that. Recently she said she was going to visit her sister in Ca. She went back to russia unbeknownst to him and the next thing he received was a form from her to sign saying she was divorcing him. The accusations she is making are completely false. Is a russian marriage legal in the usa? Can she demand monetary compensation?
    Of course, it is legal. Your father probably sponsored this woman to come live with him in the USA, by doing so he had to prove that she is his wife by providing the marriage licence from Russia. If USA did not accept that marriage, they would not have let her in the country as your father's wife. As far as monetary compensation, I don't know, I guess it depends on the situation. I would assume same rules would apply as divorcing in the USA. If your father supported his wife and she didn't work and is not working presently, maybe she can demand money. You need to consult a divorce lawyer.

I think that if he married in Uzbekistan, and she sent the divorce papers from Uzbekistan Uzbekistan rules will apply otherwise she has to come back to the USA and go the the divorce lawyer and to the court in the USA. For the Russian divorce I think it'd be nothing, just a stamp in her passport about divorce and papers, maximum it could be half of the money/property saved by family (her and your father) during their marriage. Remember, according to the Russian rules she can't get anything from the property, money, shares and ect what was received by your father in present (like a gift), like inheritance, or before their official marriage date - it's out of the divource process. Nothing like you have in the USA - formers paying money supports to another former partner if he/she does not earn enough money for the period of 1/2 of the marriage. Nothing like this in our CIS countries. So just don't worry and wait, to ask for the money she has to go to the court in Uzbekistan and then to the US embassy with the petition from the court, and your father should be ready to reply with documents on this (thru the Embassy may be, may be not, sorry, don't know). But if she's still in the USA USA laws and divorce rules will apply.
    Anyway, I'm not professional, so it was just my thoughts about Russian divorce rules (Uzbek should be the same) and USA divorce rules.
    Last edited by Tara2007; 02-04-2009 at 01:27.
    Ozzi, Ozzi, Ozzi, oi, oi, oi!
    P.S. Just love Australia, love Sydney, love Bondi Beach.

I was once married with just such a cold-hearted bitch from Kaliningrad, they are not hard to find, patterns of deceit are inbred into such people and they're masters (or should I say mistresses!) at the art of deception!

Just wait til her US lawyers start making demands...

Divorce, alimony

Your father's wife can probably divorce him under Russian law but this does not mean that he will have to pay financial compensation. The USA does not have an agreement with Russia on civil matters, therefore financial awards have no legal force. The divorce will be legal but not the financial settlement. His wife will need to file for financial support in an American court. If she has returned to Russia, it is unlikely that the US court will entertain her suit as she ordinarily must be a US resident to bring an action.

The question of whether the original marriage is valid is complicated and depends on the circumstances. Her immigration status, and any undertaking he may have made to immigration, has no bearing on whether a US court considers the marriage to be valid.

Your father may be in luck

If your father's Russian wife has divorced him in a Russian court, it is very unlikely that she will be able to bring a separate, subsequent action in a US court. She will ordinarily be expected to remain within the jurisdiction of the court that granted her divorce.

She was rather silly since she would have received a better deal from an American court. Russian courts do not have a history of making large financial awards, especially when there are no children involved. He should take the divorce and run. He should also notify US Immigration so they cancel her visa. They will do this unless she has been granted permanent residence or if she leaves the US for more than 18 months or resumes living permanently outside the USA.

Did you father registered the marriage in USA ?

does anyone know about divorce lawyer in kaliningrad, Qdos, i sympathise with you mate, i was in a even worst situation, got pressurised into a legal marriage, brought her over, she refuses to leave, ie wanting permanent residency, but alot of arguments, caused trouble on my job, unbelievable. Anyways heard to get divorced is not difficult, do it yourself, head to the registry office where it occured, save money, but is it wise? they could come out with all types of bs, better to hire a lawyer??

Do

Sorry to hear about another innocent man who has been ripped apart by the deceitfulness of these women.......

It may be a good thing for your father to start his own file for divorce, saying she absconded from the marriage...

Quote Originally Posted by tinouk View Post
    got pressurised into a legal marriage
    How does that work? Did she tie you down? Refused to cook for you unless you married her? Told you to go sleep on the couch? LOL

pjw is offline Инопланетный гость
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Sorry to hear about another innocent man who has been ripped apart by the deceitfulness of these women.......
    It may be a good thing for your father to start his own file for divorce, saying she absconded from the marriage...
    He should certainly divorce if he doesn't want to live with her, if he doesn't want her in his life, if he thinks he's made a mistake, bad choice etc. But stop whingeing for goodness sake, it's a disgrace when a man complains, Oh poor me, I don't know what to do, I'm powerless. All women are evil etc. Stop it! I react allergically when I see men acting like victims. Women lose all respect when they see this kind of weak behaviour too. God has given u the balls to make some decisions so now it's time to pay for divorce and move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by annakuznetsova View Post
    How does that work? Did she tie you down? Refused to cook for you unless you married her? Told you to go sleep on the couch? LOL
    Exactly Anna. Well spotted. It's all well and good for people to complain, but more useful in this case to consult lawyer and start proceedings. Get onto it. Less talk, more action!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinouk View Post
    got pressurised into a legal marriage, brought her over, she refuses to leave.....they could come out with all types of bs, better to hire a lawyer??
    How can a woman force u to marry? If u wanted her then it's your own fault. Not hers. Take responsibility. You hate me saying this. But it's not her problem, it's yours. Sooner u start this, sooner it'll be over. Yes it's gonna cost u. But waiting round is just gonna destroy u. Pick up the phone and ring some lawyer numbers from the phone book or net now.
    Last edited by pjw; 16-09-2009 at 15:59.

Having read this I came to a conclusion that it is not a good idea to marry a USA citizen. Much better to marry some Uzbek and give her nothing after the divorce.
    How about a Phillipino? I like exotic women....
    ‘Your stature is like a palm tree, and your breasts are like its clusters. I say I will climb the palm tree and lay hold of its fruit’.
    Song of Solomon