littleangels        English Nanny
Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did we invade Iraq?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Why did we invade Iraq?

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/me...raq/index.html

Please give me a rational logical explanation based on the principle of common sense
    The best surfing instructor Moscow has to offer

Oil.

kak Guest
    Could the reason be as simple as for oil and money ? (i mean BIG oil and BIG money)

Originally posted by Amanda Huggenkiss
    Oil.
    There is and will be very little oil coming out of Iraq

because a blow needed to be struck at the heart of the arab world to make it clear the us meant business.

because saddam was a vicious animal, and i'm sorry maine, those tinpot dictators in central asia don't compare, and he had been mucking around with inspectors for a decade (russia and france didn;t disagree with the assessment he had wmd) over weapons programs that were potentially extremely serious.

because iraq was not a fanatically religous society, one of saddam's few positives (religion was a threat to power), which gave grounds for hope that something approaching a democractic/civil society could be built there.

because a decent iraq could potentially set an example to other neighbouring states.

because saudi arabia couldn't be touched for fear of an iran-style regime taking control of a country with the world's largest oil reserves. taking iraq would also allow us bases to be moved from saudi soil, a serious gripe for muslims

to cut the price of oil as a side issue.

i don't think any of these were unreasonable or sinister goals. what then happened, the war-profiteering, sophistry, venality, arrogance etc was just unbelievable....and i feel like an imbecile for ever thinking better of bush and his gang.

kak Guest
    Maine i'm afraid you are totally.... wrong....!
    http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/irqindx.htm

Let's define the question a little better. "We" was a coalition of I believe to be 35 countries or something thereabouts?
    That's me, as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!

Originally posted by yankee@moscow
    Let's define the question a little better. "We" was a coalition of I believe to be 35 countries or something thereabouts?
    come off it...it was the us and britain.

the rest are a farce, including australia's contribution.

there was/is no coalition. a coalition is what bush snr had.

kak Guest
    hum hum... can you give me the name of the 35 countries ??.... i mean i'm not saying that they were not 35 but...did you have a look at this"coalition" ?

Originally posted by kakrout
    hum hum... can you give me the name of the 35 countries ??.... i mean i'm not saying that they were not 35 but...did you have a look at this"coalition" ?
    Apparently Alqueda did.........as many of their civilians have lost their heads because of it!
    That's me, as confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar!

Coalition. A close friend of mine is a liaison between the White House and Kuchma. According to him, the US government threatened Kuchma's gang that if they didn't join "the coalition" they would pay for it later. On the contrary, if Ukraine decided to join, all kinds of good things would follow, including Kuchma's post presidential immunity. needless to say Kuchma jumped in and said thank you for letting me in. This is how so called "coalition" was formed. Most countries were threatened into joining or joined to benefit financially from the US. At the time the US government needed support badly. If I remember correctly, United Nations strongly opposed the invasion.

Yes, thank god for those troops from Honduras, Moldova and the Dominican Republic !
    Last edited by Halyavshik; 05-10-2004 at 15:22.

Originally posted by kakrout
    Maine i'm afraid you are totally.... wrong....!
    http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/oil/irqindx.htm
    Agree it has a lot of reserves but....
    With chaos in Iraq how can that oil can be pumped and exported? There will be no stability in Iraq in foreseeable future, as there will not be any in Afghanistan. The oil pipes will be blown up, personnel will be killed or kidnapped, etc.

DJ Biscuit is offline Life will not break your heart. It'll crush it.
    Originally posted by Maine Surfer
    Agree it has a lot of reserves but....
    With chaos in Iraq how can that oil can be pumped and exported? There will be no stability in Iraq in foreseeable future, as there will not be any in Afghanistan. The oil pipes will be blown up, personnel will be killed or kidnapped, etc.
    Don't worry,the people who wanted this oil,and will get it, will simply build the price of death, destruction,murder and torture into the cost per barrel. The cost being paying to murder,torture and destroy in order to get that oil. Business is never simple.
    I'm a celebrity - get me out of here!

As far as I remember there were two major and one minor reasons for us to invade Iraq.
    Major:
    1. Sadam's regime is a threat to humanity and the USA because of existing WMD.
    2. Sadam is a threat to humanity and the USA because it harbors and supports terrorist, including Al qaeda.

Minor:
    3. He's a bad guy and terrorizing his own people.

First two reasons turned out to be not true. So we invaded Iraq to get rid of sadam because of reason #3, to free Iraqies. They are free now.
    Last edited by Maine Surfer; 05-10-2004 at 15:34.

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast